Tarot Power

Barleywine

What is divinational value exactly ? I'm fast becoming confused about what tarot reading is.

There's a subtle difference between fortune-telling and preparing for eventualities. Rather than saying "The stock market is going to hit a record high, go dump your life savings into it," I would say "Looks like there could be improving trends in the financial markets, you might want to position yourself to take advantage of it." That way clients can assess their aversion to risk and decide how much preparation is enough. They take responsibility for their own future via informed decision-making, which should augment their normal channels of information, not replace them.

SaskMick

He not only knew about the future, but also what had happened in the past. There was no hiding secrets from Bob :)

I discovered that I could do some odd things and mentioned it to him, he said " I could have told you that " ??

AnemoneRosie

I think that this will all become much more clear to you when you have your own deck to play with and to learn from. It appears to me that right now it's all a bit hypothetical, and because AT membership has many different viewpoints, perhaps it's confusing, or leads to over-thinking.

When does your deck arrive?

SaskMick

I think that this will all become much more clear to you when you have your own deck to play with and to learn from. It appears to me that right now it's all a bit hypothetical, and because AT membership has many different viewpoints, perhaps it's confusing, or leads to over-thinking.

I will have it next week, I could well take ages for me to learn.

I'm just hoping that my odd abilities will help speed up the process, we will see.

gregory

It will. Years. All of us here would say we are still learning, I think you'll find. Something new comes up every day. I'm not aware of your odd abilities - I doubt if they are any different from those each of us has, to be honest.

Tanga

"odd abilities"... always have some use (if you wish to) :) :).

I'll post these here again for you:

Jackie Barnes' Principles of Tarot (Jackie was my Teacher - and she was psychic):
1) Place the past into a meaningful perspective
2) Understand the present
3) Reveal alternatives that may exist in the future.

"A good Tarot reading, like good psychotherapy, reveals what has been hidden, shines light on the path ahead, and suggests which attitudes and actions are likely to prove productive."
- Dr. Elinor Greenberg. Gestalt Therapist and Tarot reader.

SaskMick

I'm just hoping that my odd abilities will help speed up the process, we will see.

ETA, If I can't read the cards in the way he could I will not be happy.

Sulis

ETA, If I can't read the cards in the way he could I will not be happy.

Learning to read tarot is a journey, it's like learning a new language because tarot is just that, a language that uses symbols that we interpret.. You can pick up some basics quickly but to get fluent, to get good takes years of immersing yourself in it.. If you want something that's quick to learn and get proficient at then tarot isn't it.

It sounds as if your friend has psychic abilities, that's very different from being a good tarot reader.. Lots of people who use tarot are psychic and lots of psychics 'use' cards but not really, they're not really reading the cards, they're using their psychic abilities and the cards are props or prompts..

A good tarot reader reads the symbolism on the cards and uses them as a jumping off point for their intuition.. A tarot reader weaves a story with the cards and that presents a picture that the querant may find useful..

I think people who come here and say that they're going to learn tarot quickly and then they're going to be pro readers etc are in for a disappointment.. With something like tarot the journey is just as important, if not more important than some imagined destination that you can't wait to get to.

AnemoneRosie

It might take you some time to get there. It sounds like he has a wonderful bond with his cards. I'm sure that it took him quite a while to build it.

I really don't want for you to set high expectations (such as "I will read like him within a month/year/whatnot") and then be disappointed because your own unique voice hasn't yet come out.