Best brand color pencils and markers?

blackroseivy

Seriously, y'all oughtta V out Col-Erase - they blend almost like air-brush!

nettletea

colored pencils and markers

Does anyone have an opinion on color fastness and permanence of different brands of markers and colored pencils? I like to work with the best tools and materials available.

blackroseivy

I know that the Col-Erase I like have full color permanence. The more expensive brands of markers will be more permanent in general than the cheaper brands.

CalypsoTea

I would recommend going by your local art store if you have one, Pearl Paint or Blick, and check out their open stock pencils and markers. Open stock is stuff that's sold singly rather than in boxsets, which is important because you don't want to have to buy a whole new set of markers because you ran out of Chartreuse. This way you can find out not only which brands are plentiful and sold as open stock, but also try different ones to see which one you like the best. ^_^

Galindorf

I've worked a lot with prismacolor pencils and also alcohol markers, prisma brand and others! You can blend the prismacolor PENCILS with the prismacolor MARKERS :D It ruins the tip of the marker though, if you do it a lot. There is a brand of alcohol markers that Japanese manga artists use, they are the best I have ever tried, but the cost has been prohibitive. They have a beautiful range of colors, and very soft/natural tones (which I find prismacolor to be sorely lacking).

HudsonGray

Galindorf, what's the name of the Japanese brand? That might be worth knowing. Are they available in the US?

SherryZoned

Prismacolor. But definately use a couopon. Sign up for Joannes mailing list online and look in your sunday paper for coupons for Joannes and Michaels.

HellzBelle

Pantone markers are very good, a professional quality with a vast range of colours. I used to use them many years ago working in the graphics field, I would think you can still buy them, but you'd need to go to a major art suppliers not your corner newsagent!
As for coloured pencils my preference is for Derwents, and you can choose your type: Artists, Studio and Watercolour, with the first two there is a difference in the density of the lead and the third of course is much softer and with the application of water after you colour you can vary the 'watercolour' effect.
Artists come in 120 shades, Studio and Watercolours 72. You don't have to buy the full colour range though, they are packaged in 12,24,36 and 72, and 120 for the Artists.
They also have available Pastel pencils in 90 colours, and a Drawing pencil (72 I think) that is like a soft wax crayon in the effect given.
Derwents should be available to you in major general stores, as well as art suppliers.

mythos

I haven't heard of most of these pencils. mythos counts her non-existent pennies. My next deck will be pencil. I'm a Derwent's girl. It's a childhood thing. To have a full set of Derwent's, when I was a kid (in 1950's Melbourne Australia) was to have made it. And, in the 1990's, I discovered Derwent pastel pencils, which you can use wet or dry. They are a right 'expletive' to sharpen without the pastel breaking, but they are lovely.

mythos:)