the urnash tarot

Alta

I have been following this deck as you post for some time now. I am so glad that it is going to be published and will be a very interesting and worthwhile addition to the tarot world.

I find that your images are sort of 'glossy' (can't think of a good word, 'polished' maybe) and penetrating at the same time. You clearly thought about this a lot and re-thought some traditional ideas.

Egypt Urnash

Queen of (VOID)

This one sat for a week or two while until the nagging feeling that it needed something else went away.

And yeah, there was a lot of thought going on here. I deliberately chose to avoid looking at any other deck's imagery while drawing the body of the deck, which I think made me think that much harder; I couldn't just lift some symbolic weapon or whatever from Pamela. And all that thought came bubbling out into these last few extra cards, as well...

Alta

This going to be an awesome deck. So glad that Lo Scarabeo is publishing it.

rwcarter

I LOVE that!!!! Is the card actually going to be landscape in orientation? It usually bothers me when some cards are portrait and others are landscape, but the card just demands to be in landscape orientation!

Rodney

Egypt Urnash

99 of Wands

All of the (VOID) court is going to be horizontally oriented, to emphasize their... alienness. There is no up or down when you're out in space; having them be horizontal makes them actively resist the "upright/inverted" interpretation.

rwcarter

Like that explanation/definition of the (VOID) Court.

The 99 of Wands has some interesting interpretive possibilities.

Can't wait to get my copies to put in my deck.

Rodney

Egypt Urnash

Chevalier of (VOID)

Foooourrrr moooooore left to do. Just fooooooour moooooore!

I'm not sure exactly when I'll be putting the expansion packs together for people who have a handmade copy. I'm probably going to want to spend a week or two not thinking about Tarot at all once I get the art and book all together! But once my brain unwinds it should just be a matter of printing the bits out and waiting for a few hours of not-raining. In the middle of a Seattle winter.

...or I could just do it in the garage or something, now that I live in a house with one of those.

Anyway! Fooooooour mooooore.

Alta

So, did you ever kick yourself that you added those extra cards when you were counting down. :joke:

Like your latest, this is going to be quite an exciting deck.

Egypt Urnash

*snicker* Nah, the project is the size it needs to be. I've got larger projects I'll be resuming when I'm done with this! I will admit that I wouldn't be complaining if I'd looked at the existing 80 cards and decided the 99s were just a joke, but the printing processes Riccardo suggested applying just kinda demanded that I use them for the Void court - and if I'm going to have those, I have to have the 99s to balance them out.

The 99s and the Void court have ended up being where I add a few things I feel are important to say that just didn't fit in the normal cards. There are hints of it here and there in cards like the 10C or the Chariot, but I'm glad I ended up having a reason to expand on the themes.