Why is my Tarot Deck lying to me?

Umbrae

boxxleman said:
...I have had by professionals, they have all told me it can predict the future....

IT can't do anything.

Given some years of hard work and study, YOU MAY be able to. But Tarot as a pregnacy test? get real.

And yes, I am a professional.

ribbitcat

boxxleman said:
Now, with all of this information being said..I'm assuming, the Tarot cannot answer yes/no questions. I wasn't sure, but from all of the "fortune telling" and tarot card readings I have had by professionals, they have all told me it can predict the future. So all I was trying to do was find out if she was or not. I guess it's not possible with Tarot, then?

EDIT:

And if it WAS possible, how would I go about doing that? With more of an open mind, or what?

Boxxleman, tarot can be used for yes/no questions and also to predict. However, in the modern tarot community both of these are frowned on to various degrees, it seems mainly from an unwillingness to restrict the free will and choice of the querent.

For predictive methods, look to the older authors. More recent predictive authors include Paul Fenton-Smith and Sasha Fenton.

As has been pointed out to you quite sharply, a reader does need to consider the question and possible answers carefully, in terms of ramifications and ethics, *especially* when dealing with issues of great importance to the querent - even if the querent is yourself.

ribbitcat

Splungeman

Interestingly I think the three cards you chose were advising you to just get a pregnancy test and dismiss mystic answers when you don't need them. Why use Tarot cards when you live in a time when you can just go buy a home pregnancy kit or pee in a cup at the doctor's office?

Why use Tarot cards to get an answer to a question that is easily answered by other means? Tarot cards are best utilized for the complex, nebulous issues we face...issues that don't have a clear answer.

"Is there a person behind that door? Hmm....the cards seem to be saying..uhhh....mmm...The Fool....The chariot....five of wands.......WHAT COULD IT MEAN??!!! WHAT COULD IT MEAN??!!"

"Hey...dude...just open the door."

Just open the door dude. :)

ribbitcat

LOL Splungeman :)
But in your approach, where's the mystery, the excitement ? ;-)

In addition, for those wishing perhaps to test their ability to use tarot for prediction, dealing with questions that a factual answer can reasonably quickly be confirmed by other means (stick, opening the door :) is possibly quite a logical method - almost empiric <G>

ribbitcat

Indigo Rose

boxxleman said:
I felt as if my Tarot cards are just playing tricks with my mind now and are really just a mirror image of what my mind is thinking, instead of the truth (or answering the question). Any thoughts? Esp. on those King of Cups upside down and Knight of Swords that showed up (both at the end of a 3 card spread).

By the way, for each reading I did it was just a 3-card spread I made up myself, kind of like a story spread, with no real "labels" like spreads have. I just laid out the first three cards without making a spread up. I think I might have just answered my own post and question here, but I want to make sure. And I'd also like insight on which spread to use for this kind of question!

Thanks,
Jeff

I don't think it's the cards playing tricks on your mind, Jeff. I think it is really about learning to understand the message within the context of the medium you are using. Yes/No questions seem to be more illusive for the Tarot to answer, in my opinion. Often there is more to the story...or an important point of view to consider. I think your frustration with inquiring in the yes/no format is something all of us who read Tarot have been through on the same quest.

I found an interesting Yes/No here on AT that I've found to be more accurate than most, but still limited. That usually happens when I am ignoring something important in the questioning process or am trying to reduce a complex situation into a simple yes or no...which is not a suitable form for the answer I most need at the moment.

Considering the Empress and Queen of Pents kept appearing...that was a clear validation that the topic was on the table. Also, I feel the King of Cups(Rx) and the Knight Swords were communicating a NO answer to you...and a message about the issue as well.

As for using a spread or not, I think you should go with what works for you. If you get clear messages and answers with random cards then go with it. If you want a more rigid or structured way of looking at something, then follow a spread. Just be open to new ideas and concepts as you are learning the Tarot. Keep a journal on your readings and go back over them as you are growing. I've looked back over some of my readings from a few years ago, and can see a big difference in the way I interpreted them to how I would now. You will make some mistakes, and misunderstand plenty along the way. Don't be discouraged, it is all part of the growing.The main thing I am finding...LISTEN to your gut or Inner Voice. That is really where the answers become clear for me.

***Edited***
By the way, i only read the other responses after I wrote mine. I respectfully disagree with my Cohorts. I do believe the Tarot is a tool for Divine/Mystical revelation, and is not simply a projection of your own mind. That's my personal belief...born out of experience...and I am sticking to it. :love:

:heart:

Sulis

The Empress NEVER turns up to show that someone is pregnant?
Hmmm it has for me (well my sister actually) but she was asking about becoming pregnant after many, many years of fertility problems and being told she couldn't conceive. I read The Empress to say that now was definitely a good time for her to conceive or she may have already done so and she was (just) pregnant...

I think you're on dangerous ground to say that a card NEVER means something because someone, somewhere will say that it does and it has.

I agree with Splungeman but he said what I think in a much cooler way than I would've done :D
I would've said 'Get her to pee on the stick dude :)'

thorhammer

Umbrae said:
Edited to add: an Empress Never ever MEANS pregnant . . . To ever state or imply that the Empress = pregnancy is irresponsible.
I have a feeling a few people have missed the emphasis in Umbrae's post. See the capitals ^^^? He's saying that "an Empress never ever unequivocally means nothing but pregnant" and in the next bit I've quoted, he's simply saying that if we were to read for someone and read the Empress to be hard-and-fast, nothing-else-but pregnancy, we would be irresponsible.

Just my 2 cents. I realise I haven't commented on boxxleman's reading, but I feel unqualified to do so.

I'm glad everything turned out okay, though, boxxleman. I had a similar scare years ago, very nasty. ((((((boxxleman and lady)))))))

\m/ Kat

Aulruna

The Empress has indicated pregnancy in my readings many times.

Last time when a friend who's recently emigrated to Australia wanted a reading on what to expect job-wise. Up came the Empress and the High Priestess - and I said, you're pregnant, but it will be fine.

Interestingly, similar to Sulis, my middle sister had fertility problems. She was actually told she was pretty much barren. I drew the Star and the Empress and told her to just go off the pill and let go. Two months later, bingo.

For your question, boxx - I agree your deck was giving you a reality check... No real need to bother it. You know if you did something that could result in pregnancy. Just go check. If you don't trust home tests (perfectly understandable), go see a doctor.

gregory

It isn't lying.

You just don't want to see what it's saying. (or maybe you are trying to see something when it didn't "choose" to answer the question you asked. It will have had its reasons... In so far as cards choose anything - y'all know what I mean !)

Sorry to be blunt, but.....

And BTW - I have never tried to use Tarot for prediction - I don't think that's the best use to put it to.

One other small thing, though. Tarot cards are NOT a good pregnancy test - but pregnancy tests themselves are by no means 100% reliable.... :eek:

Mariana

ribbitcat said:
Therefore, it is not necessarily irresponsible to interpret The Empress as indicating pregnancy, since, as others have said, it can indeed mean just that.

I agree with Thorhammer: there's a lot of difference between saying that the Empress could never indicate pregnancy or saying that the Empress isn't the same as pregnancy. I think Umbrae wanted to make the second statement, not the first. The Empress 'isn't' pregnancy. But in some contexts and readings it can indicate a pregnancy.