How do you ask questions?

sladie

I wasn't sure if I should post this here, or in Spreads, since it's a bit of a multi-purpose post.

I've done some readings, I understand the card meanings very well - I spent a month doing a page of hand-written intuition meanings and traditional meanings of each card. Takes about an hour each, averaged about 4 a day >< - so understanding isn't the problem.

The problem is, I don't understand how spreads "work" or why they're placed where, or how to ask questions for 1, 2, and 3 cards spreads. I can read them separately and together for the conclusion, and for me it's as natural as breathing - which according to people it should have taken me a year at least to get to the point I am now.

I also have a hard time wording and thinking of questions, especially for general spreads. I made my own interview spread, which worked perfectly, but when I tried to make 2 card spreads, I was completely stumped, and had a hard time figuring out how to use other spreads. What are some examples of wordings? What are general questions that are typically asked?

Also: ONE more question - how many "Sample" readings should you do when testing out new spreads to see if they're worth keeping in your journal? (Those I usually just say: Give me a sample reading) I was told to have a handful of 1, 2 and 3 card spreads (about 3-4 each), and at least 2 large sized spreads. I'm trying not to overwhelm myself with things, but I'm a really fast learner, I just don't want to overwhelm my senses.

I know my posts are always huge, and I appreciate the time ya'll take to look at these. Thank you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I found the answer to my question http://arcanemysteries.tumblr.com/post/89690866786/great-topics-to-ask-the-tarot-with-only-1-3-cards <-- this was very helpful in figuring out what questions to ask. Also, this site is awesome for useful information for beginners. I should have went here first ><

Grizabella

Those spreads where you just draw a total blank are your best friends, believe it or not. Those are the ones where you jump off from spouting memorized card meanings to actually flexing your psychic/intuitive muscles and reading the cards for real. Whenever you take a look at one of those and feel the urge to just pick up the cards and forget it, just sit there awhile and treat it like a mental puzzle. How can this card work in this particular position? Should it be read as a reversed card? (This is if you don't use actual reversed cards.) What does it mean in combination with the other cards in the spread? Journal about these spreads and individual cards you're uncertain of in the spread you've laid them out in.

Another suggestion is to use positional titles as well as refining your ability to stick strictly to the question you've asked the cards. If you ask, "How does he feel?" then don't turn that around and relate the cards to yourself. How does he feel doesn't have anything to do with how you feel---if that makes sense to you. And also stick to the positional meanings.

I used to just lay out cards but now I've found that using a specific and well-defined question with positional meanings is the way it works the very best for me.

As for how I ask questions---I think of exactly what I want to know and then just ask the question as I would of a friend. If I have multiple questions, I'll either ask them as positional titles or else I'll make two different readings (or three or whatever.)

I never use "clarifiers" because they don't clarify, they mystify more often than not. Tarot isn't able to tell you "the same thing only different" in another card or two as well as it can elaborate on a position for you. For instance, you've asked a question that involves laying out several cards, but then on one aspect, you're feeling it needs some more information, so then you lay out a card or two---but it's added information, not the same thing only different.

sladie

So basically what I've been doing :) - awesome. That's a huge help, 'cause I'm constantly worried I'm doing something wrong, or I'm not getting the entire lesson down correctly. I'm super happy with how far I've gotten so far without asking questions. Just sorta "Show me something to learn from" and going from there. I was just thinking, when I did have a problem, how to ask. I haven't had a spread yet that I 'couldn't read' just spreads I didn't know how to ask questions for. Sometimes I get caught in a card, like Aces - aces confuse me 'cause I don't always understand why a beginning has something to do with where it is, or what that ace means - I go on gut at that point. Most of my readings are "gut based" and intuition. Like I said, reading them isn't the hard part - it's knowing how to ask the right questions so that I can relate the cards to the situation.

That's when I found that infographic on questions to help me sorta get my thoughts in order. The trouble is, I have 3 mood disorders that can make asking singular questions VERY difficult because I have my reaction, my reality and my emotions all making up stories that may or may not be true (it's a spread I want to make to help me with this problem, but because of my sensitivity, I don't think it would be a good idea for me to be reading when I'm having a panic like that. I often take strong medication to calm myself down).

It's nice to know that what I've been doing, is a good course of action to take. That was really good to know, and I'll keep doing that for practice. I'll keep practicing and working on it. I'm really happy with how much I've progressed, and I'm getting braver on the forums asking for help, even if I think they're kinda stupid questions ><. Thank you :)

jenessa

Sounds like you have a good grasp on the cards, and your asking all the right questions.

As far as the art of interpretation, keep in mind that what works for one person may not work for another, so reading tarot is an individual thing and there are many/many different approaches that can be used. All of which you'll discover with time, should you be inclined. Or rather should I say, there's a wealth of info. that can be gleaned by reading thru the various forums. Not to mention, that there are some really good books, blogs & other sites that you can check out.

Though having said that, sometimes you may discover a new method, try it out, only to find out that it doesn't work as well as some other approach. So there can be a certain amount of trial & error involved.

& The same goes for spreads. I've seen spreads that look good on paper, but when i've tryed them out they fail to produce results. So as far as your question:
how many "Sample" readings should you do when testing out new spreads to see if they're worth keeping in your journal?
I try a new spread (or a new method) two or three times, and then if things still aren't geling I reach the conclusion that it's not gonna work for me.

The good news is that my reading style has really evolved over the years, in the sense that i've discovered many things that work well for me, and i'm now at a place where I can use different approaches and different decks, for different things.

As far as formulating questions, you might like the other thread that Farzon recently posted here on the UTC forum, entitled: "How do you questions your cards"?

I know my posts are always huge, and I appreciate the time ya'll take to look at these.
You are not alone, cuz i'm guilty of this as well! LOL