Symbols -words and pictures

moonman

Hi,

Does anyone know of any books/websites which shows the symbols of the tarot and also has the meaning.

I find that some books/websites only have the meanings with out the pics.

Seb

Sulis

Try Joan Bunning`s website. She has an on-line course which can be downloaded. I think there`s about a page per card. She uses the RWS deck.

www.learntarot.com

Love and light

Crystalmynx xx

Ophiel

Bill Butler's book, "The Dictionary of the Tarot," attempted to do that, to some extent. He compared the images of a number of the decks, including mention of the symbols, and also included the different interpretations for the cards from different interpretors.

It's an interesting book, but may be out of print.

Hmmm...the U.S. Amazon site lists it as:

Publisher: Schocken Books; ; (June 1987) ASIN: 0805205594.

Oh..yes....Chirlot's Dictionary of Symbols is quite interesting and includes all the Major arcana.

jmd

Ophiel, Bill Butler's The Dictionary of the Tarot which you mention sounds like my copy of his The Definitive Tarot: the origins of Tarot and its inner meaning (also out of print).

Would you please check to see if your book was not first published as mine (by Rider, 1975).

Ophiel

JMD...

Here's the low down on my book:

"Dictionary of the Tarot"
Schoken Books, NY.
There is no ISBN, but here are the numbers listed on the back of the title page:

BF1879.T2B87 133.3'2424 74-9230

Perhaps someone in the group familiar with library sciences can help with this. There is definitely no mention of your book title.

My book has 253 pages, and a bibliography.

Here is some information I found on both books at www.bookfinder.com, searching "Bill Butler"....

"THE DEFINITIVE TAROT the Origins of Tarot and Its Inner Meaning"
Publisher: London: Century Paperbacks, 1987; Soft Cover. Good/No Jacket. Fortune Telling. 8.5 x 5.25. 254pp.

Here is some descriptive information I found under "The Dictionary of the Tarot"...

"Publisher: Schocken Books, 1977
Binding: Trade Paperback; Edition: Later printing; Description: Softcover, 254 pages. Spine lightly creased. Beginnings of chapters on the four suits of the tarot are tabbed. For each card, it offers descriptions of the card from various decks as well as interpretations from a variety of authors. Includes tarot history and background, a section on The Book of Thoth, divination methods, a dictionary of symbols, and bibliography. Illustrated with line drawings of cards from several decks."

Here is a list of chapters from my book:

1. History and Structure
2. The Book of Thoth
3a. The Minor Arcana
3b. The Major Arcana
4. Methods of Divination
5. Systems Design
6. Glossary

If you want, I'll scan my cover and email it to you. I noticed that the book you listed was published in London while mine was in NYC. Perhaps it was published with a different title?
Ophiel

jmd

Thanks for the scan, Ophiel.

I have just found that these are in fact the same book, mentioned in a brief review on the Villa Revak site.

The chapter titles and number of pages you give are also the same.

I suppose that, unfortunately, different titles are often given for the same work by different publishers!

Ophiel

Considering how the U.S. version of that phenomenal Terry Gillam film, "Brazil" was sweetened up for the U.S. market, perhaps the same people thought a title like ""THE DEFINITIVE TAROT the Origins of Tarot and Its Inner Meaning" wouldn't sell in the U.S. as well as, say, a Dictionary!