TdM - why not read it as other decks?

Barleywine

Yes, much more symbolic than narrative... but they incorporate a lot of directional movement, much more than the RWS for example.

Looking at the Marseille minors, I see more and more of this movement here as well. But it's mostly symmetrical and I'm not quite sure how this will work out for me. Especially regarding drives and blocks, which I guess will come from courts and majors mostly...

The movement in the TdM minors is subtle. I see more of it by overlaying the triangles (ternaries) and the squares and crosses (quaternaries) over the images, but I still get symmetry for the most part. I would look to Cirlot's "evolutive" and "involutive" triangles to show movement. Here is what I got for the Aces. It's a bit fanciful because I was trying to join all four Aces in a single image showing "flow" between them.

I'm always looking for directional movement, mostly by "facing" of the figures in a card. I've even gone so far as to say that images facing straight out of a card are looking "up" if the card is upright and "down" when reversed. But I'm still on the fence about using reversals with TdM (and leaning away from it).

Attachments

• TdM Inscribed Aces Reduced.JPG
    TdM Inscribed Aces Reduced.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 178

Michellehihi

The movement in the TdM minors is subtle. I see more of it by overlaying the triangles (ternaries) and the squares and crosses (quaternaries) over the images, but I still get symmetry for the most part. I would look to Cirlot's "evolutive" and "involutive" triangles to show movement. Here is what I got for the Aces. It's a bit fanciful because I was trying to join all four Aces in a single image showing "flow" between them.

I'm always looking for directional movement, mostly by "facing" of the figures in a card. I've even gone so far as to say that images facing straight out of a card are looking "up" if the card is upright and "down" when reversed. But I'm still on the fence about using reversals with TdM (and leaning away from it).

Barleywine I find your study on the aces very interesting! By the way which deck did you use? I like the fainted pale rose color...

Barleywine

Barleywine I find your study on the aces very interesting! By the way which deck did you use? I like the fainted pale rose color...

I was wondering who was going to ask that! :) It's just a sepia-toned scan of one of my standard TdM decks. I did it that way so the black lines would stand out better. But I wouldn't mind having an actual deck like that.

Farzon

That's really fascinating! I know nothing about the significance yet, but at the first look it seems that the Ace of Staffs literally grows from a source of power while the Ace of Swords develops it's power at the top... which ob the other hand is obvious from the cards meanings, I guess...
I was wondering who was going to ask that! :) It's just a sepia-toned scan of one of my standard TdM decks. I did it that way so the black lines would stand out better. But I wouldn't mind having an actual deck like that.
Ha! I thought as much! [emoji2]