New TdM member

Paul

Hello to all from the Southwest, USA.

It’s nice to be in the Forum family now. I’ve been tracking the posts for about a year, watching, waiting…for what I’m not sure.

Anyway, I’ve been reading the TdM for 20 years now. When I was a teenager in the 80’s and TdM’s were virtually nonexistent in the States, I actually drew my own on cardboard-- I used pictures out of a library book-- and cut my own deck (gee, that might sound a little obsessive).
But, never did like the RW and since have developed my own TdM comprehensive system. But, I’m always learning, tweaking, etc. Soooo, all of you on the Forum have been a part of my evolution. Hope to keep learning from you.
2 posts, and counting!

Jewel-ry

Big big welcome Paul,

Always nice to have another TdM fan on board!

If you've been reading it for 20 years, I'm sure you can teach us a thing or two!

~

SoulFlower

Welcome to the forum! I hope you will like it over here and that you will stick around :D

Lee

Welcome from me too, a fellow Arizonan!

Your experience with the Marseilles sounds very interesting. Perhaps you'd like to tell us more about your system? I for one would be very interested to know more.

-- Lee

Moonbow

Hi Paul

It's always good to see another TdM user and it sounds as though you have heaps to share with us. Drawing your own cards can be no mean feat too. I hope you enjoy Aeclectic.

Paul

I happen to be on vacation this week, thus time for this admittedly long reply:
Thanks for the warmth. Also, I appreciate the international milieu here. Very nice.
To answer Lee's and others' curiosities about my comprehensive system...well, it's quite synthetic. I beg, borrow, and steal from all kinds of sources. I can be a devotee of tradition or an iconoclast. Perhaps I can share more details as topics arise. But, here's a snapshot of its nature.
1. Basically, I see the Tarot as a kind of Hegelian Dialectic, a very energetic system of thesis/antithesis/synthesis. The red, blue, and yellows play out this battle. That's why I like the TdM, it most plainly shows this dialectic; I believe other tarots distorted this in their quest for enhancement of presumably primitive images.
2. My Major Arcana system:
  • is informed by many Medieval cosmological models. No room here to expand on that right now.
  • One of the ways I line up the Major Arcana for comparison is:
    {row one} 1 {Le Bateleur} to 10 {Le Roue}
    {row two} 11 {Le Force} to 20 {Le Jugement}
    - Le Mat and Le Monde are paired outside.
    - This arrangement produces many interesting dialectics. For example, Le Bateleur and Le Force are two types of power; Le Roue and Le Jugement are two types of movement.
  • I assigned my own astrological/planetary combos to the Major Arcana. They represent Planetary Rulerships (10) + Planetary Exaltations (10) + Two of the Planets rule two extra signs, i.e. Mercury & Venus (2) = 22. This gives you 10 planets and 12 signs.
3. My Minor Arcana system is complex.
  • I basically use a Vedic Numerological/Astrological system based on 1-9. What about the left-out 10? Indeed, it's position outside 1-9 contributes to its meaning as a transitional number with no real substance in the sequencing. This matches the Major Arcana La Roue and Le Jugement, which represent transitional states.
  • The Minor Arcana take on spontaneous meanings that are generated in-the-moment from combining number + suit. Suits represent different social states or areas of mundane life. Papus adds a layer here as well:
  • I borrowed from Papus and his numerological ideas of Thesis/Antithesis/Synthesis and Commencement/Opposition/Equilibrium.
  • This easily lead me to borrow from Vedic sources and ideas of Brahma (creator), Siva (destroyer), and Vishnu (preserver) who serve beautifully as an overlay on the 1-9's and match Papus' system. The 10's are Trimurti - i.e. Brahma/Siva/Vishnu united.
    - Why did I get into Vedic stuff? Because I've always loved the gypsy mystique of the cards, despite its mythological nature, and how the Vedic sources speak to the gypsy background.
  • Then, I add in a layer of Decanates on the Minor Arcana, but not the GD's system. Moreover, my decanates begin with the Ace, not the Two. This preserves the 10 as outside of the number-system.
  • For the Minor Arcana, then, I learn the skeletal system, rather than memorize meanings. The "meat on the skeleton" is in-the-moment.
Whew! Would you believe that the layers all match up-- i.e. have congruency...well, at least for me. So, those are some of the layers in this rather tall wedding cake system of mine. There's more, but this email is waaaay too rambling. I'll get a reputation with only my third post!
Yet, despite all of this layering, I have taught others that when the cards hit the table, they must first be read through the eyes of a child, which means all knowledge is forgotten, and a Beginner's Mind is maintained. In practice, this means that any idiosyncratic TdM imagery (whether perhaps a flower, a color, or how the courts are looking at each other) will suggest spontaneous, intuitive meanings that cannot be systematized into a bible of meanings.
Thanks for tolerating the brain-dump.

Anna

Hi Paul :)

A very warm welcome to you! hehe, I have been reading with the TdM for almost 2 whole months :D Although, strangely, I read with playing cards when I was a child and my first deck was an 1JJ Swiss which I got when I was about 14. I veered towards the RW quite quickly and although I loved the pictures, the meanings of the minors never really made sense. For example, I could never understand why the 3 of swords was depicted so negatively! Getting my first real Marseille deck feels like I've come full circle and found my way back home, if that makes sense!

I'm looking forward to learning from you :) and I'm fascinated to hear more about your system!

CP

Edited to add: I've just seen your 3rd post, please do keep rambling!!

Jewel-ry

Paul said:

Thanks for tolerating the brain-dump.

I just loved the brain dump

thanks for sharing it Paul

~

Lee

Thanks Paul, your method seems quite formidable! :) I look forward to learning more.

Out of curiosity, which Marseilles deck do you generally use? I was just wondering, since you mention specific color symbolism.

-- Lee

Diana

Paul said:
Yet, despite all of this layering, I have taught others that when the cards hit the table, they must first be read through the eyes of a child, which means all knowledge is forgotten, and a Beginner's Mind is maintained. In practice, this means that any idiosyncratic TdM imagery (whether perhaps a flower, a color, or how the courts are looking at each other) will suggest spontaneous, intuitive meanings that cannot be systematized into a bible of meanings.

I like that, Paul. Sounds like good plain common sense. :)

We are all, I think, looking forward to your posts. Thank you for joining us at last! (I also wonder what you were waiting for! I almost feel like pulling a card to find out... but that would not be very ethical to interfere in your life like that, so I will leave it at that. :) ).