Different Etteilla decks

whipsilk

As part of my growing historical collection I thought I'd add one or two Etteilla decks. But with the various names it's hard to tell which decks are truly different. Can anyone with some knowledge of the Etteilla decks either recommend one or two decks, or describe which of the following are distinct from the others, and which (if any) are close copies? I've been through the thread on Etteilla patterns http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=42589&highlight=Etteilla, but I'm still unclear. Thanks very much.

The decks are:
- Lo Scarabeo's Book of Thoth Etteilla
- Lo Scarabeo's Esoteric Ancient Tarot
- Grimaud's Grand Etteilla
- Dusserre's Princesse Tarot

Any of the above especially recommended for a first purchase?

Fulgour

3's Company

Grand Etteilla "Ou Tarots Egyptiens - Egyptian Gypsies Tarot" ~Grimaud
This comes in the orange box and has cool pictures.

Tarot Egyptien "Grand Jeu de l'Oracle des Dames" ~Dusserre
This come in the green box and has nice backs.

Esoteric Ancient Tarot ~Lo Scarabeo
This is a truly weird deck!

The important thing to keep in mind is that
Etteilla really had nothing to do with them.
They all just kind of "happened" somehow!

whipsilk

Fulgour and Rusty Neon -- thanks very much for the information. It was extremely helpful, especially the links, which clarified everything. I've now got my eye on a Dusserre (Etteilla III) and a Grimaud (Etteilla I), although I'm really intrigued by Fulgour's comment about the LS Esoteric Ancient as "a truly weird deck". Care to elaborate?

But you've provided me with some excellent data on these hitherto confusing decks. Thanks again.

Fulgour

whipsilk said:
I've now got my eye on a Dusserre (Etteilla III) and a Grimaud (Etteilla I), although I'm really intrigued by Fulgour's comment about the LS Esoteric Ancient as "a truly weird deck". Care to elaborate?
I love the Dusserre and like the Grimaud,
but the Esoteric Ancient Tarots...

Review by Michele Jackson
http://www.tarotpassages.com/esoteric.htm

click on here for images

whipsilk

Woo-Hoo - the Dusserre is MINE

I just won a nearly brand-new copy of the Dusserre Grand Jeu de Oracle des Dames (Etteilla III) on eBay for a terrific $10. It isn't the legendary Dusserre Dodal, but it IS a beautiful deck from the scans I've seen, and it's my first Dusserre (may there be many more to follow!). I bought the Grimaud Grand Etteilla from Tarot Garden last week, and it arrived today -- gorgeous deck! So it's a good day for Etteillas. Now I've gotten fascinated by the Etteilla decks...time to start studying up on them!

Fulgour

Hi :) Whipsilk! That's wonderful news!
Here is an attachment to show each to
those who haven't seen these editions.

Best Wishes!
~Fulgour

Attachments

• Dusserre and Grimaud.jpg
    Dusserre and Grimaud.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,666

Myrrha

There don't seem to be any pictures of the Grimaud deck on line. It is frustrating as there are so many different Etteilla decks and it is hard to show anyone what you are talking about. Does anyone know where there are pictures on line?
thanks
--Myrrha

Moonbow

I have the Grimaud Grand Etteilla which is shown here:

http://www.wicce.com/etteilla.jpg

This is the one that Fulgour mentions (in post 2), in the orange box with cool pictures.

Baroli

That is the same one I have Moonbow. Finally getting around to reading with this deck. I like it, but not proficient yet.

Baroli