Ludy Lescot Symbols: Roses

Hemera

There are roses in at least 18 cards if jewellery, headbands and embroidery are included.
Card backs have a grey/silver rose pendant.

Red roses:6 cards
Black or lavender: 6 cards
Red and lavender, grey or black: 4 cards
Golden embroidered roses: 2 cards

There are no white or yellow roses.

I found something about LAVENDER ROSES :

"You may have come across seeing a blue rose. However, what you have seen might have been a rose of purple or lavender color which somewhat may have appeared like a blue rose in certain light.

Blue rose, has been a fragmentation of the wishful, imaginative and free pieces of mind, till now. Its quest has been going on for centuries and several florists have not been able to put an end to this. In some cultures, the blue rose stands as an analogy to the Holy Grail (chalice used by Christ at the Last Supper). That is the reason why, this imaginative rose is considered as the Holy Grail in the world of roses."

ETA: I found more info for Lavender roses: Royal, Majestic, Magic, Enchantment.
Lavender roses can also represent wonder and impossibility, with a sense of the magical.

Hemera

BLACK ROSES (Wikipedia):

"Black roses (roses of black color) do not exist in nature as such, but nevertheless have been created in laboratories. Botanists have manipulated roses' genes through preliminary cross breeding, creating a hybrid black rose. They are often featured in fiction with many different meanings and titles such as black magic, barkarole, black beauty Tuscany superb, black Jade and baccara and death varieties of roses. The flowers commonly called black roses are actually a very dark red color. Some roses are called black, but are actually just a dark shade of red, purple, or maroon. To deepen a color of a rose place a dark rose in a vase of water mixed with black ink."

BLACK ROSE MEANING:

Black is the color which has always been associated with death and the dark side of human nature. Conventionally, it is the mysterious color, which could also represent elegance and sophistication. Naturally, a black rose is also associated with death and mourning.
The conventional black rose meaning is death and mourning, and this is the reason why it is included in funeral procession to connote the loss of a loved one or friend. In this case, a black rose is the symbol of sadness and farewell. However, this is not the only meaning attached to this unique flower. Black roses can be used to mean several different things, and many emphasize that, black rose could also mean a new beginning and rebirth. To be more specific, black roses mean death, and death can be followed by rebirth, and that is why, black roses inspire many to start afresh.

However, black roses are rarely given as a gift to a loved one, as they stand for tragic love. Black roses are known to mean the end of something, which could be a relationship, an idea or a career. So, when sent to a lover, a single black rose could symbolize the death of the relationship. But, black roses like the color black, can mean both the positive and the negative, and on the positive side, it could stand for deep devotion. When gifted to a loved one, black roses can mean a devotion that is so deep and rare, just like the flower itself.

Hemera

RED ROSES

Red roses are ancient symbols of love and beauty. "Rose" means pink or red in a variety of languages (such as Romance languages, Greek, and Polish). The rose was sacred to a number of goddesses including Isis and Aphrodite. The ancient Greeks and Romans identified the rose with their goddesses of love, Aphrodite and Venus. In Rome a wild rose would be placed on the door of a room where secret or confidential matters were discussed. The phrase sub rosa, or "under the rose", means to keep a secret — derived from this ancient Roman practice.

The ultimate symbol of romantic love and enduring passion, the red rose also conveys respect and the creative spirit of love. Representing true love stronger than thorns, the red rose is known universally as the lover’s rose.

Shadowdust

The white roses in the chariot.

Aerin

There's a few cards where colours are mixed. I had the chariot ones down as black-ish but now I see a lavender hue.

The ones in the 9 of Pents look black and red to me.

RunningWild

How about carved roses?

I mention this because as I was looking at the Queen of Wands, I realized that there is a ten-petaled rose carved at the top of the back of her throne. I don't see it in the other court cards anywhere. And then I turned the card over to examine the back and there's another carved ten-petaled rose next to the masculine-appearing hand.

I looked on wikipedia, and while I'm not going to quote because I don't think its history is particularly relevant to this deck, it's called either a "Tudor Rose" or a "union rose".

Hemera

There are also carved five petaled flowers in many of the Pentacles. Some are carved in stone and some are embroidered. Roses (the original ones before hybridization) are five petaled so they may also be roses.

MaineGirl117

Roses and Alchemy

Here is a link that I've found while searching for the meaning of the five-petaled golden rose. Going upon the Jungian theory of alchemy that has been discussed under the Ludy Lescot/Golden Dawn thread, this information may be relevant in interpreting the various colors of roses in the deck.

Also, when looking at The World card, this rose looks to be both white in the center, and red on the outside. (I'm also wondering if the planet on the World card is in fact the planet Mercury which this text mentions in reference to being "The Philosophers Child")

Roses & Alchemy

Hemera

Wow, what a find MaineGirl117 !