ros said:
Just a question.

The pillars in the

High Priestess
Justice
Hierophant

Are they all the same pillars?
Thanks for any replys?

Yes in fact they are. This is part of the continuing thread through out the RWS deck. There are several features that continue through out the deck.

Vincent

Re: Re: The Pillars

mac22 said:
Yes in fact they are. This is part of the continuing thread through out the RWS deck. There are several features that continue through out the deck.

Then it is quite surprising that Waite should say of the Hierophant;

"He wears the triple crown and is seated between two pillars, but they are not those of the Temple which is guarded by the High Priestess"

If you want to understand Waite, you really should read Waite.

Vincent

mac22

Re: Re: Re: The Pillars

Vincent said:
Then it is quite surprising that Waite should say of the Hierophant;

"He wears the triple crown and is seated between two pillars, but they are not those of the Temple which is guarded by the High Priestess"

If you want to understand Waite, you really should read Waite.
Vincent
[/QUOTE

Waite was both a Mason & a Mage do the pillars in the Hierophant represent J & B [Jachin & Boaz] no. But do they represent the division between the outer & inner wisdom... in my experience .. yes. The pillars represent several different dualities & dichotomies

...And yes I've read the ponderous Waite, as well as most of the major & minor occultists of the 19th & 20th centuries.

TemperanceAngel

Don't forget the Lovers are the pillars as well.....XTAX

mac22

the pillars

TemperanceAngel said:
Don't forget the Lovers are the pillars as well.....XTAX

Hmm, I see Sun, Raphael, woman, tree of knowledge [with the five human senses] & the serpent, a man and a tree with 12 zodiac signs representing human life, the holy mountain. ...If here are pillars I must be missing them :)... not entirely beyond possibility...:D

TemperanceAngel

The two naked figures represent the pillars, a recurrent theme, YES, the two pillars again as two figures falling out of the Tower.
What is the Tower card representing?
The breakdown of structures (on the surface, I know...)

The Star pouring water from two jugs, there it is again and so on and so forth....

XTAX

HudsonGray

There was a whole thread about Solomon's temple & the two pillars & how the Masons used it in their ritual & had it end up in the Tarot cards Waite did. I think the thread was called Jachin & Boaz or something like that. It'll be in the archives. Solomon's temple has been one of the few long gone ancient buildings we have a lot of info on from recorded history.

(Here it is!)
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15291&highlight=Boaz

mac22

the pillars

TemperanceAngel said:
The two naked figures represent the pillars, a recurrent theme, YES, the two pillars again as two figures falling out of the Tower.
What is the Tower card representing?
The breakdown of structures (on the surface, I know...)

The Star pouring water from two jugs, there it is again and so on and so forth....
XTAX

Interesting thought.....:D

TemperanceAngel

You will find in Racheal Pollacks, 78 Degrees of Wisdom she chats a bit, well quite a lot about it, it is also one of the common images that I point out to my students when we go through the Majors, it helps them see how all the cards connect to each other ;)
XTAX