Le Scarabée d’Or or The Golden Beetle Oracle

baconwaffles

Oh yes I had seen this aticle before. Lovely cards. Have you tried the sites that sell collector's playing cards? I know I have stumbled upon a few obscure ones, I don't recall the addresses but perhaps type it in google?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Debra

Bill Wolf, who owns that, is on this forum. :)

OnePotato

Hullo dashofgold

Yes, as Debra pointed out, that's my copy of Le Scarabée d’Or in the article that you linked to. Sorry I don't know much more about it, other than what is written there. Produced in Paris, around 1860-70. Stone litho with hand coloring.

I presume it was relatively expensive to produce at the time, so probably not many were made. It's also somewhat fragile, what with the glass window & all, so surviving copies are quite rare. I've seen one other that sold a while back, but it was a bit damaged, and missing the beetle, the glass and a couple of cards.

I had a notion to publish a repro of mine, but it would involve a lot of hand work, and it would be fairly difficult to produce, and I get the strong impression that few people around here would be willing to pay a suitable price for that kind of work.

Apart from those in the article, I have a number of other old and unusual tarot and oracle decks, so I've been thinking of posting photos & info about them on my website one of these days, but I've been too busy struggling to work out a plan for my own deck to get around to it. Hopefully, I'll get something posted up there soon.

I recently came across this unique deck online and am so intrigued! There's not a lot of information I could find about it nor are there any places that sell it. I've scoured Ebay, Etsy, even Craigslist with no luck. :-(

Does anyone have more information about this deck other than what's online? Better yet, does anyone own this deck or know where I could purchase one?

Link 1: http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/the-surprising-origins-of-tarot-most-misunderstood-cards/

Edit to add:
Debra sent me this link back when I bought it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1F-CEwB58c&fmt=18

dashofgold

Hullo dashofgold

Yes, as Debra pointed out, that's my copy of Le Scarabée d’Or in the article that you linked to. Sorry I don't know much more about it, other than what is written there. Produced in Paris, around 1860-70. Stone litho with hand coloring.

I presume it was relatively expensive to produce at the time, so probably not many were made. It's also somewhat fragile, what with the glass window & all, so surviving copies are quite rare. I've seen one other that sold a while back, but it was a bit damaged, and missing the beetle, the glass and a couple of cards.

I had a notion to publish a repro of mine, but it would involve a lot of hand work, and it would be fairly difficult to produce, and I get the strong impression that few people around here would be willing to pay a suitable price for that kind of work.

Apart from those in the article, I have a number of other old and unusual tarot and oracle decks, so I've been thinking of posting photos & info about them on my website one of these days, but I've been too busy struggling to work out a plan for my own deck to get around to it. Hopefully, I'll get something posted up there soon.

Edit to add:
Debra sent me this link back when I bought it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1F-CEwB58c&fmt=18

Wow, such a pleasure to meet you! Thank you so much for sharing all that information -- it's such an incredibly peculiar and unique deck. What a joy to have such a special piece in your collection, which by the way, is astounding!

I've searched high and low online to try and find one with no luck :-( There have been a couple antique stores I've visited here in NY, but its rare that they carry any tarot cards.

If someone were to ever re-create this, it would definitely probably be expensive to do so, but well worth the reward in return. Please kindly keep us all posted with the progress on your site and potential deck. Such an avid collector, I'd be very to learn more about what you've been curating!