Moqui balls

Le Fanu

Right - thanks - so I need a male. I think I may have to wait another year until the annual rock fair in December comes round!

November's Dawn

They are great :) I have one small couple male and female that I'm working with and have them in my pockets. Just today I bought another couple, bigger one so they can hang out together :)

shelikes2read

Just make sure to treat them as being semi-fragile, even though their outer layer appears to be solid. On another crystal forum where I post, we recently had someone whose moqui stone hit the sidewalk and shattered. :( "Disintegrated", was how she put it. She utterly did not expect that to happen, as she thought the outer layer was solid enough to protect it>

However, the core of the stone is sandstone, which is far softer than the outer layer. So an abrupt impact against a hard surface could spell curtains for such a stone. It's best to presume there's some fragility, regardless of appearance, and use and carry them with caution.

stonesatiety

I have a friend who has had a solo Moqui Marble for many years now. It seems content, although my friend is open to finding a mate for it. I've played with quite a few of these stones, but so far none have come to me. If you like Moqui Marbles/Balls/Shaman Stones, you might like Boji Stones, which also come in male/female pairs. They are concretions treated with a special process the woman who discovered them received from spirit. I sure enjoy playing with mine.

canid

I'm not positive but I think they may be the same thing-moqui, boji. I have a rather large rock(s) that someone told me years ago was a conjoined boji. This was at a rock store in Ann Arbor, MI. 'They' are around 8 lbs, a bit smaller than a football & very large for the typical boji, but that's what he said. I just knew it was something, it was so very odd. The small one grew like a distinctive knob on top of the large one & it's about 3" in diameter. I took a pic of 'them' last nite with my new fone but I can't figure out how to transfer it to my computer; can't find the cable. I'd like shelikkes2read to look at it. I'll figure it out, hopefully. When I lived in Michigan, evidently a long ago previous owner was a rockhound I found out, when he died his wife threw away & buried his whole collection, & when I dug in to make herb/flower beds, I kept coming up with all kinds of really cool stuff-quartz crystals, huge & small geodes, copper clusters still in crystalline form, obsidian, a big hunk of raw emerald (not good enough quality to be faceted, but still), opal (YES!), lots of others. Things that just aren't to be found in MI, except for the copper and many many petoskey stones. I would love to have one slabbed & polished...they're just adorning my gardens. The more I found, the more I had to dig...& I brought much of it with me to Ohio when I moved back. I spent weeks digging & cleaning. I gave a 40 lb calcite crystal slab to my horse's vet, he admired it so. My brother was president of the Akron lapidary club at the time; he was perplexed. Didn't truly believe me till he visited from South Carolina. I got lotsa poison ivy during that period also...

stonesatiety

canid: Boji and Moqui Marbles are different. It would be fun to see a pic of your stone. Whatever it is, it sounds interesting. I have an unusual concretion from Morocco that is obviously unlike either boji or moqui. I've seen boji the size you describe!

What a bonanza in the garden!!! I'm glad the stones got to come out and play again. :)

Kathy123

so, this post has intrigued me! I have been looking on e-bay and they have the moqui balls sold in pairs there from Utah. Is there any other source that anyone knows of? and/or has anyone bought them from a supplier on ebay that they can recommend?

Thanks!!

shelikes2read

so, this post has intrigued me! I have been looking on e-bay and they have the moqui balls sold in pairs there from Utah. Is there any other source that anyone knows of? and/or has anyone bought them from a supplier on ebay that they can recommend?

Thanks!!

My recommendation is to NOT limit yourself to metaphysical sellers on eBay. Instead, look under the "Rocks, Crystals, Minerals" heading and you will find the same rocks for prices that are at least as good -- if not better -- than the prices of some Metaphysical sellers.

Geologically-oriented collectors do not tack on some of the markups that meta sellers do. So do some comparison shopping and see who's offering you the most for your money.

Kathy123

Thank you!!! That is great advice!! I found a nice male/female pair for a very reasonable price :) can't wait til they arrive and I can have fun with them :)

druyan

How cool is this! I had never heard of these guys, but I really liked what I read so I just bought a pair for a really great price. I have got to try these. Thank you for posting! :)