Reading for Skeptics

tarotbear

aging is good for wine ...

This is an old thread! My earlier answer was posted in 2001!

I do my best reading for skeptics! Somehow, the Goddess knows what I am up against (or before the reading I have asked the Goddess for a little help) and 'Zowie, Batman!' - can I come up with an accurate reading! Floors 'em cold!

The best defense I can tell you is CHARGE FOR YOUR READINGS. Giving them away free gives you the air of being a 'parlour reader' - someone who dabbles in the cards but isn't serious and shouldn't be taken seriously. People willing to hand over $10-$20 are going to be slightly more serious about what it is they want to know or what they expect to find out. MeeWah's answer about "I don't know you from a hole in the wall and got 95% accuracy with your reading - what is your problem, here?" is a good response. Remember - treat it as a game and they will take it to be nothing but a game.

(posted 1-24-05 in case this thread resurfaces a few years for now!)

leftovercrizack

Sceptics make me really nervous and afraid that my reading wont be accurate.Even though it always is.

Mesara

Ive found that one of the best ways of handling skeptics is just not to read for them, at least not until their curiosity gets the best of them. Many skeptics who find out I do tarot will argue with me, calling my tarot activities
'bullshit", trying to get a rise out of me or to see me on the defensive.

I just don't play that game with them. I just don't offer to read for them. I always tell them they are entitled to have their own opinions about tarot, and nothing they say will insult me or bother me. (Which is true, Im very laid back that way). And, eventually, it drives them crazy watching everyone else get readings, and some (not all) will finally come to me for a reading with honest interest instead of their "break the tarot reader" agenda.

Personally, I just don't think it's the tarot reader's job to dispel skepticism. Belief is a very personal thing, and I would be wary of anyone whose doubts could be so easily allayed by one single tarot reading, no matter how good it was. Speaking as a skeptic myself, no one has formed my beliefs into what they are save myself and my own observations...observations accumulated over many many years.

I just think it's a mistake to believe that we have a role in forming other people's beliefs, even when they come to us saying "Prove it".

Zephyros

I don't usually try to convert the unbelievers, since it is too tireing anyway, and dull as well. That being said, there were times when have read for people who did not know anything about Tarot before, but kept an open mind, and made their decisions for themselves in time.

However, I will never read for some one who wants to test me, make a mockery of what I am doing, is so ungrateful that they think nothing of ruining something I am doing for them and does not want to know anything, only prove themselves to be clever.

When I read for some one, I want them to come to me out of a desire for knowledge, anything else would be a waste of my time. Their's too, but their time doesn't interest me. Mine is more valuable:)

Alyssajones

Hello all,
I'm new to the membership of the forum rather than new to the forum itself. I'm a dyslexic lurker, on so many sites that I often forget to post an introduction as i feel I know everyone already. (my feet are already under the coffee table, even if i haven't let myself be noticed yet -so to speak).

Since I've been reading professional, I have charged people. Only a tiny amount, but enough to know it's serious. If they can't afford it, or find it too easy to pay, i take great delight in making challenges, so that they pay with time. On the few times I haven't charged i have come into problems.

The first was a gentleman in a social gathering who said "would you mind reading for me?" Not feeling comfortable charging (first warning) I said yes.

When i read I take about five minutes discussing various aspects and view points ( it's best if this is a two way conversation because your get more out of it, but i'll happily read cold if thats what you prefere. . .the cards are difficult to shuffle but don't worry sometimes it allows for jumpers etc). As soon as I started he began to rush me through this, pushing for me to draw the cards (second warning and my own ritual going out the window).

As soon as the cards were drawn they began to tell me everything we had discussed proir, until we got to the hopes and fears and then "i popped up" My signifior card sat there.

it was then that i realised he asked for the reading so he would have my full attention. he afterwards said that if anything about my skills is true that i would phone him, as "angels don't enter your life and then fly away".

Had he of paid (i doubt he would if i had charged) the reading would have been a lot more accurate and the exchange would have been more benifical, because it would have been taken seriously.

The other person whose a bit of a nightmare is a close friend of mine, who always cooks dinner in exchange for a reading. However in the past half year it's become more of a girlie get together, as a christian she is cautious but as i was "learning" we used to discuss tarot and different theories as to why it works. Owing to the time we've spent, she knows why I don't read for certain people. . . (one of the reasons is that I personnally feel they don't want to hear what I can tell them, and that they'll "shoot the messenger" and all that).

As the readings for her have gone on she has become more relaxed in her attitute towards them, and luckly for me the cards that have been drawn have reflected that, because more recently a serious problem in her life is occurring which she doesn't want to deal with. However because of her relaxed attitute, i do now just read the cards for her eg fool = new beginnings, where as with many other people I do tune into my intutition and can tell them many things which don't come forth so obviously from the cards.

her face was a picture when she joked one night that i wasn't clairvoyant and three people looked at her and said "are you sure?"

I'm still unsure on how to read for her, she abides by all rules so i can't duck out and use the "one reading per six months" line, but I have faith the cards will be more clear if either she is ready to hear, or perhaps if she gives them more faith.

As for skeptics, quite often temperance appears for them. tipping her water at an impossible angle asking them to see things not so scientifically, or to weigh up all options. Usually by pointing out the images on the card and where i can see those things (quite easy in RWS) they become more willing to accept. I love skeptics on the whole, providing they treat it with respect.

"I wouldn't go into a church with drink, spray paint or stamping feet regardless that I'm not Christian, so i ask that people treat tarot with the same attitude. There are many people who believe in it, so wipe your feet, make a cup of tea, take in the atmostphere and stay open minded. . . draw your conclusions when you leave.

MareSaturni

My boyfriend is a 100% skeptical and 100% atheist guy. And i? I am wiccan and tarot reader. The great thing is that, although he doesn't believe, he listens - he's no closed-minded. But he never let me read for him...he says he won't believe so what would be the difference? I wonder if some skepticals are just afraid to believe in things such as cards...

Anyway, recently a lot of friends have been asking for readings and, though some of them look at me with that 'i'm just asking out of curiosity...i know it's all bullshit' face, in the end they always get a bit scared, or surprised...even wanting another reading ;)

Skepticals dare you...dare them back. Don't bow to them as if their stare had the power to make your tarot skill run away. You bet i can't do it? I bet i can. Didn't like? Didn't believe? Well, we cannot make everybody happy ;)

Let them be a part of reading. Chances are they'll accept you more if you let them understand the 'logical' side of the tarot...why this means that, what is the picture showing...and so on.

:TPW Yuko

Kaylee Marie

A very interesting thread! I don't charge for my readings, and do many of them at parties and small social gatherings. There's the group that wants a readings as soon as I pull the cards out, some that watch shyly from a distance and finally amble over, and some that "dare" me to read for them. They're the hardest. I can literally feel a wall up between us. But they've also been some of my most accurate readings.

For the in-betweeners -- those who hold back because they are skeptical, but curiousity eventually wins out. I usually just approach them casually and ask "What's it going to hurt to give this a try?" They just shrug and admit that it won't hurt them, and off we go.

I did freak out one skeptical friend of mine. I had known him socially for a couple of years, and offered him readings more than once. He FINALLY agreed, more to get me to stop pestering him than anything. :D He's usually a very talkative guy (hard to get him to shut up, really), but that reading just WOWed him. He just sat there and absorbed what I said, hardly saying a word. He hasn't asked for another reading because it spooked him so much. Literally, I can see goosebumps on his arms when I talk about tarot around him. But he stresses that he is definitely now a believer, even though he doesn't necessarily want to experience it again. That's his decision; I'm not going to push him again.

Persephone37

Well, I don't charge either. I had some sceptics or totally new peops, though at new years parties etc. And I always tell them - okay, just concentrate on your question, doesn't matter if you believe in this or not, just focus on it and let us plain try if you can relate to it. And well, as long they don't get very scared about themself they told me afterwards how surprised they are that the cards ar right on the spot of their question (of course in the celtic cross right the first fife cards are reflecting the question mostly quite fiercefully) and that they sort of willingly to see if it comes out like that. And the most of them told me after weeks and month or in the next meeting, that the cards came true indeed. I always note my readings and give them a copy if they like to have it.

Regards
Petra

Pao

I usually dont read for skeptics, I feel it puts too much pressure on me like they are testing me or waiting for me to be wrong, so I rather not even do it.

chongjasmine

Dee 04 said:
Hello All:

I do not know how you handle these types of situations but any suggestions are highly appreciated...

For themost part, I Read for family and friends and people that get referred, etc. I do not charge a fee for readings. Lately there have been a number of people that, at the onset of their reading, they say stuff like "I am skeptical" or "I am doing this as a last resort to find out X,Y, or Z" whatever... I undestand that people come to Tarot from different belief systems and different understandings etc. Some do not knwo what to expect or how to behave, maybe they can get nervous, who knows.

I guess once the cards have been shuffled I feel kinda odd to hear stuff like this.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP! Please :D
\

My mum is one such skeptic. When the cards are accurate, she said it is a product of my mind, and how the accuracy has something to do with psychology.

When the cards are not accurate, you can see the grin on her face! Told you so, that is what her face said.

Sigh.