Psychic Fair

glaive

Well, my friends, something interesting has happened.

I was invited to read at a Psychic fair, and, incidentally, teach a Tarot class at a metaphysical bookstore.

Any of you experienced people have advice to offer? I have never read at a fair before.

Thank you,
Scott

Nimbus

Congratulations! What an exciting opportunity for you.

I have never read at a fair, but having gone to several, I can imagine that the day(s) can be very long- might want to have a buddy that can stand in for you if you need a break (even at a specified time). Sometimees the fair organizers can provide someone. Bring lots of water and be sure to eat regularly to keep your energy levels up.

Also, great news about the invitation to teach a course.

Looks like many things are going your way. Be sure to post how it goes!

~Nimbus

Chronata

Awesome!
You are going to be absolutely perfect in both those venues!

I don't have much advice regarding the fair...other than be flexible!

Some people will need a long reading where you patiently explain every card, and some people will be fine with a quick overveiw that answers their question.

But I have seen your reading style...and I know you will be more than fine! :D

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Briar Rose

I think that an hour glass on the table would look really good. :thumbsup:

glaive

Thank you so much for the kind words!

Yes, an hourglass would be lovely. I've been looking for an affordable twenty minute glass. Anyone got an online source?

satinangel

Hi there,

I’ve been running in the fair circuit for going on two years now, so I thought I’d share some of what I’ve found.

First, find out from the fair coordinator, who does the scheduling. At my monthly fairs, the coordinator has a scheduler for us. The scheduler takes the payments (flat rate for all readers) and then we get paid at the end of the day. Another circuit I run in, we do our own schedules, the querents pay the reader directly and we can charge what ever we want.

Why is important to find this out in advance? If you are doing your own scheduling and the querents are paying you directly, you need to have some sort of reader board, poster or flyer near you, that explains what you do, what you charge, you may also want some sort of a sign up sheet. You want to keep your schedule moving along, even when you are doing a reading. Also, with this type of venue, try to find out what some of the other readers charge and try to come in close to what they are charging.

Also, if you would like to use real candles or incense, check with the coordinator. Some venues will allow this and others will not. It depends on the fire codes in your area.

Find out if you have to bring your own table or if one is provided.

Plan on arrive 20-30 minutes before the event starts. This allows time for you to set up your space, ground and be ready for when the doors open. If this is a small event, occasionally, the coordinator will have you move around, especially if someone cancels out at the last minute, so do try be a bit flexible. If it a large event, the spaces will normally be set in stone and if someone doesn’t show up, the space sits empty.

Let your table be a reflection of you! I use a seasonal table cloth that goes to the floor and a spread cloth over that. A small candy dish (Yes, you can entice them with chocolate!). Small polished stones (I let them pick out one to take home). Business cards and tri-folds explaining my services. I also keep 3—4 decks on my table. (If you only use one, that’s fine. I like a variety. I also try to keep one “child-friendly” deck as I am referred a lot of children (of course, with their parents sitting right there with them.)) To keep everything looking tidy, under my spread cloth, I keep a simple one sheet, Mailing List and when I’m finished reading for them, I ask if they would like to be on the mailing list. You may also want to keep a small notebook and pen at your table, so your querent can take notes if they’d like.

Expect to read for all ages and be asked to read on various subjects. Use short, easy to remember spreads. 7 card horseshoe, 3 card (need to know, why it’s important advice/outcome), are examples of simple spreads.

Keep the readings to schedule; 15 minutes; 20 minutes; 30 minutes. Set a timer for 1—2 minutes before the end of their time. This gives you time to wrap things up, ask the querent if they have any questions or need clarification on anything. Plus, they feel that you’ve actually given them a bit more time...therefore they leave your table feeling “special!” This also allows you to give them your business card, tell them that you do private readings, in person, or via phone. (However, you run your business outside of the fairs)

I use a small digital kitchen timer, it's a fairly quiet one...it's about the size of a half of a business card, so it blends in and is not easily seen on my table. I know an hour glass would be way cooler looking on the table, but not as functional. edited to add: (I have now borrowed an idea from Umbrae. I picked up a beautiful pocket watch...and am using this in place of the digital timer. I place the watch on my table where I can see it, put clip end of the chain where I am going to stop reading...then I am good to go without the distraction of a beep, beep, beep!....Love this, thanks Umbrae!)

If you are not getting readings, or it is slow, talk to everyone as they go by. A great catch line is: “Would you like to experience a reading today?” This should get them talking to you. If the answer is “No.” Then say, “That’s ok, maybe I’ll get a chance to read for you another time.” (or something of the sort). What I am really getting at here...is that if there are customers in the room, talk to them, don’t bury yourself in a book or other distraction.

When you are busy, give yourself plenty of short breaks...even if you just get up and walk to the restroom and wash your hands. You’ll be shaking a lot of hands during the day, so this isn’t a bad idea any way!

Drink lots of water during the event...I mean LOTS...I typically go through about 64 oz. during the fair. Bring your favorite snack foods, and a lunch, pack more food than you think you’ll need. You will be using a lot of energy and you will need to replace it! Also, plan for a simple take out meal for after the fair, go out for dinner, or cook the day before, so you can just re-heat. You may want to plan in advance to have someone special meet your for dinner, you will probably want to talk about the experience.

Acknowledge that you will be nervous going into it...and that’s ok! Relax! The first one will be the hardest...and it will flow from there.

Above all, have fun!

yaraluna

SATINANGEL!!!

THANK YOU!!!

your post is amazing! I have been offered a spot at a fair a few months ago but said no at the time. I may be getting another notice soon, so this post is great.
I will let you know if i am out of the broom closet!

yara

glaive

satinangel, thank you so much for the sage advice. I will put into practice many of the things you suggest. I especially like the bowl filled with crystals.

What do you use for a timer? I like to find something that's subtle but functional.

satinangel

yaraluna said:
SATINANGEL!!!

THANK YOU!!!

your post is amazing! I have been offered a spot at a fair a few months ago but said no at the time. I may be getting another notice soon, so this post is great.
I will let you know if i am out of the broom closet!

yara

Yara,

You're very welcome! ...And Yes, please do let me know when you are out of that closet! :) LOL

glaive said:
What do you use for a timer? I like to find something that's subtle but functional.

I use a small digital kitchen timer, it's a fairly quiet one...it's about the size of a half of a business card, so it blends in and is not easily seen on my table. I know an hour glass would be way cooler looking on the table, but not as functional.

glaive

A digital kitchen timer costs a lot less than an hourglass, too.