Giving a deck a chance

G6

Does that make it hard for you as a collector? I'm pretty fickle, and decks that I love and use all the time are 'meh' sometimes. It's more of a mood thing than the deck itself.

It's not a big deal though, as Le Fanu says, decks take up so little space. I would say keep it for a couple of years, if not decades.

I don't know that I would define myself as a "collector". I use my decks every day. Some I do keep for collection purposes, but those are very few, like say, Fantasy Showcase Tarot. I think it's cool that it is from 1980 and likely one of the first collab decks. I don't have endless space and decks/kits do take up space. I'm actually running out of tarot space.

Back to the original question though, I do give decks "a chance" because it's not too often I get one that fits all of my criteria for a deck I love. At the same time, a deck that needs "a chance" or more to the point, further investigation will remain with me for shall we say a probationary period usually 2-6 months or so and then the deck will stay or move along. I don't like to keep decks just to keep them.

Other decks are an immediate NO usually because of bad design/materials and will be moved along asap. Some decks that have been with me longer were once keepers, but then my taste/interest changed and I decided they no longer fit with me.

Hope this helps, but probably not, LOL! šŸ˜‚ It's a very individual/subjective decision.

magicjack

Decks you don't always use can come in handy. Especially when your feeling like you just have to buy one. Go to your never used decks and bring them out again. I have rediscovered quite a few this way. So I say keep it. (by the way, I just read a review on this deck and it is sounding and looking interesting to me).

Willowgast

Decks you don't always use can come in handy. Especially when your feeling like you just have to buy one. Go to your never used decks and bring them out again. I have rediscovered quite a few this way. So I say keep it. (by the way, I just read a review on this deck and it is sounding and looking interesting to me).

Thank you magicjack, I have decided to keep it. There is a connection there even if it's not yet blossomed into a relationship where I can confidently read with them. I did what others had suggested and went back to them, I tried putting the card, LWB and my standard RW book together. The Ghost Tarot is almost like the afterlife of the RW in a sense, what goes on on the other side of the ether. Now I'm starting to bit by bit "get" each card, I'm happier.

As I mentioned though, the A/K/K/Q/King cards are much more simple than the RW so it's more memorising those meanings in my opinion.

Booklioness

Thank you magicjack, I have decided to keep it. There is a connection there even if it's not yet blossomed into a relationship where I can confidently read with them. I did what others had suggested and went back to them, I tried putting the card, LWB and my standard RW book together. The Ghost Tarot is almost like the afterlife of the RW in a sense, what goes on on the other side of the ether. Now I'm starting to bit by bit "get" each card, I'm happier.

As I mentioned though, the A/K/K/Q/King cards are much more simple than the RW so it's more memorising those meanings in my opinion.

This deck looks very interesting! Looking forward to hearing if you do 'bond' with it more in the future.

I went ahead and got this deck; thanks to you I hadn't seen it before.

LadyMedusa

I had not seen this deck yet. Was out of the loop for a bit. Seems there is a matching journal book with the 2 of cups card as the cover art. Nice substitute for a companion book since there are some big differences in the imagery in the minors from the standard RWS style.

Enablers ... the lot of you :)

EmpyreanKnight

As long as it takes. I have never let go of a deck in my collection yet. That said, I'm lucky that the ones I've chosen to bond with haven't rejected my overtures. But if I do come across one that I find uncooperative or somehow distasteful, I'd just think that I might grow into it one day, so I'll still keep it.

magicjack

This deck looks very interesting! Looking forward to hearing if you do 'bond' with it more in the future.

I went ahead and got this deck; thanks to you I hadn't seen it before.

Me too! I think it looks nice and spooky.

Barleywine

I've never let a deck go either, but then I only owned one deck - the Thoth - from 1972 until the mid '80s, when I bought a smaller-sized "3 Magus" Thoth and the regrettable Yaeger Tarot of Meditation. So then I owned three decks until 2011, when I started with the RWS, various RWS and Thoth clones, and the TdM, and had something of a buying spree, to the point that I now have slightly more than 50 decks. About half of them are never used because I just didn't like them for reading, although they have other redeeming qualities as collectibles. Sometimes I see someone else using a deck I own but don't use, and my interest is refreshed.

Booklioness

I had not seen this deck yet. Was out of the loop for a bit. Seems there is a matching journal book with the 2 of cups card as the cover art. Nice substitute for a companion book since there are some big differences in the imagery in the minors from the standard RWS style.

Enablers ... the lot of you :)

I admit, I am an enabler.... to myself especially. There is a companion book? I must find that, thank you for the return enabling ;)

Edit: unable to find the companion book... fail...

magicjack

I noticed 2 prices for the deck on book depository and I think Amazon not sure but I assumed the higher priced deck was a set with a book but unfortunately it did not specify.