The Aces

Hemera

Karen Hamaker-Zondag notes in her “Tarot as a Way of Life” that number one seldom occurs in dreams. And when it does, she thinks that maybe it means ourselves. One multiplied by one always remains one. Maybe that means that One is always truly and utterly oneself? One is divine perfection which remains itself during division by itself and multiplication by itself.

However, if we want to reflect and mirror ourselves we need another and so One becomes Two. So, the inability to mirror and reflect makes the seemingly perfect Oneness imperfect. The Aces are perfect in themselves and yet they need all the other cards of their suit to be able to tell a real story.

One is the beginning, the unity and wholeness. The aces represent the whole potential of their suit. Our AT learning thread says "Aces are the root force. They are the spark. They have no purpose yet, but are filled with raw potential. They are the active energy of the suit ready to be used."

I think this raw potential can be seen in all the Aces of the Sweet Twilight. In addition to the raw potential, a few of the Aces already contain a story of their own. I think the Ace of Swords and Ace of Pentacles are maybe more about the girls offering us the energy of the suit. There is a bit more going on in the Ace of Wands, I think. There is a lot of Wand energy in the big trunk but in addition to that, the little person is busy with her own projects and does not really have time to notice us. The story in the Ace of Chalices seems even more complex. (Please see the individual threads of the Aces for more discussion on these cards)

Attachments

• Ace of Pentacles.jpg
    Ace of Pentacles.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 200
  • Ace of Swords.jpg
    Ace of Swords.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 180
  • Ace of wands.jpg
    Ace of wands.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 183
  • Ace of Chalices.jpg
    Ace of Chalices.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 209

Aerin

The Ace of Chalices always bothers me a bit because of the skull on the cup which suggests poison. I find it easier to see an ending than a beginning in it.

RiccardoLS

One
by Aimee Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7oMeIfjVkE

One is the loneliest number
That you'll ever do
Two can be as bad as one
It's the loneliest number since the number one

No is the saddest experience
You'll ever know
Yes, it's the saddest experience
You'll ever know
Because one is the loneliest number
That'll you'll ever do
That you'll ever know

It's just no good anymore
Since you went away
Now I spend my time
Just making rhymes
Of Yesterday

Because one is the loneliest number
That you'll ever do
That you'll ever know

That you'll ever do
Much much worse than two
One is a number divided by two

Aerin

Now that fits the Ace of Cups... for me. Thanks Ric.