Which is the best and easiest Marseille deck to use?

Aunty Anthea

My first deck was a VERY old Marseille deck, I think it belonged to my grandmother, but I never really got a feel for it. So many years ago that I had actually forgotten all about it until this morning

I learnt to read tea-leaves a bit, then I was encouraged to play with the cards but as a teenager I discovered playing with boys was much more fun

Went to uni and tried to forget all about my rather strange family. Sometimes I think that my surname should have been Adams :joke:

After many years of working and studying I started dowsing and reading cards again, used some very strange old Egyptian cards (so old Cleopatra could have drawn them)

I am now very happy using the Mythic Tarot :love: though I have several other decks for variety and fun

This morning I developed a strong urge to buy a Marseille deck, so here I am asking if one of you good people could advise me on which is the easiest version to use (hopefully in English) and obtainable in UK

Anthea

Richard

There is a nice Grimaud Marseille which has both French and English titles, but I can't think of any Marseille decks which have English titles only. There is an edition of the 1JJ Swiss which has English titles, but it is a Besançon type deck, not a Marseille. There are some popular historical Italian decks with English titles, but again, they are not really Marseille.

There should be no problem using a French deck, as many of the French titles are cognate with the English titles, and anyhow, guessing the title from the picture on the card is a no-brainer.

nuttyprofessor

A while ago I bought a popular Marseilles deck which turned out to be just ugly, because of asymmetrical eyes and I was told this was caused by the woodcut prints.

I think you should choose the grimaud edition:http://insightfulvision.com/gallery-arcanes1.php

Emily

I've fell for the Burdel style of TdM. I have the Universal Tarot of Marseille (the Kit by LoScarabeo by Lee Bursten) but I love the re-coloured Burdel in the kit. Also I have the mini Tarot de Marseille by LoScarabeo - the colours are different but the expressions and the eyes, especially the eyes, have been drawn nicely.

I also have other TdM's - the Conver, Fournier, Hadar but these two Burdel's remain my favourites.

I think it boils down to what deck attracts you the most, the colours used, expressions, whether you want a re-coloured newer version or go for an authentic look. :)

Aunty Anthea

Thank you very much for you help everyone :love:

I think I will start with the Grimaud Marseille, then the Universal Tarot of Marseille and go on from there ;)

Emily, I will have to find out more about the 'Burdel style of TdM' sounds intriguing

I love this site everyone is sooooo helpful :heart:

Emily

Thank you very much for you help everyone :love:

I think I will start with the Grimaud Marseille, then the Universal Tarot of Marseille and go on from there ;)

Emily, I will have to find out more about the 'Burdel style of TdM' sounds intriguing

I love this site everyone is sooooo helpful :heart:

It's the TdM by Claude Burdel - there is an antique version of it too but the ones I have are re-coloured versions. But I like them and they are easily available from Amazon. I have just order a Camoin TdM from Amazon too. lol

Aunty Anthea

It's the TdM by Claude Burdel - there is an antique version of it too but the ones I have are re-coloured versions. But I like them and they are easily available from Amazon. I have just order a Camoin TdM from Amazon too. lol

So many cards - so little money :joke:

I have never even heard of re-coloured decks :bugeyed:

nuttyprofessor

Burdel is the ugly one I was mentioning in my post. Go for the Grimaud.