Raziel Tarot

FLizarraga

Great post, Nemia. Your art history background does not only show here-- it shines!

Queen of Disks

The Moon reminds me of Simeon Salomon's paintings of the moon - I'm sure Robert Place knows the Jewish Pre-Raphaelite.

Another association was Carol Ockman's article about "Two large eyebrows a l'Orientale: ethnic stereotyping in Ingres’ Baronne de Rothschild" - a Jewish topic and such strong eyebrows!!!! :)

It looks interesting and I'm sure there will be a wonderful book about it. It seems to me that this deck is as far removed from "mainstream" Judaism as his Saints deck from "mainstream" Catholicism; it draws on mystical traditions and esoteric teachings.

But not all the cards reach the artistic heights of some of Place's earlier works, IMO. I find the Sun really disturbing. I hope Place won't turn into a caricature of his own style. I usually love his flatness, rigidity and Classicist imperturbability (is there such a word?), but he takes it really very very far here.

He has lost the heavy cross hatch of his earlier style and replaced it color gradients - that's a pity IMO. Crosshatch is a linear device and suits his style that's based on linear art like Hypnerotomachia wood prints. Color gradients in this precise perfection scream: computer! And they counteract the flatness of his work. No, I find that his earlier work was more stringent visually and to me, more pleasing.

That is it. :thumbsup: It needs to look more old fashioned woodcut print and less digital cartoon. I still like it, and I like it better now that I have gone back and looked at it again. I have always been interested in the period of time of the Creation up until the Flood, so this is a good deck for me.

Electric Maenad

I always look at the Strength card first, and this one is a beauty. So regal and dignified.

I actually really like the starkly classical look of Place's newer decks. I use the Sevenfold Mystery deck the most out of my entire collection (for personal readings - I find clients* tend to go for Dame Fortune's Wheel or the International Icon deck).

* I've had clients! SQUEE!

Myrrha

I really like the more modern look of the Raziel tarot. The cross hatch style would have made the images seem like they were only about long-ago times. The more modern style (but still classic and posed-looking) makes them seem timeless. They also seem....not surreal exactly but existing beyond ordinary reality, and a bit eerie. Sorry I don't have the art history background to explain this more clearly.

G6

I really like the more modern look of the Raziel tarot. The cross hatch style would have made the images seem like they were only about long-ago times. The more modern style (but still classic and posed-looking) makes them seem timeless. They also seem....not surreal exactly but existing beyond ordinary reality, and a bit eerie. Sorry I don't have the art history background to explain this more clearly.

The Raziel majors edition looks good.

G6

Anybody know when the complete deck is due out?

GettingFree

I purchased this deck recently - and love it. The paintings are very much storytelling images, and somewhat reminiscent of old-fashioned Bible story pictures. It reads well too.

Aegishjalmur

I purchased this deck recently - and love it. The paintings are very much storytelling images, and somewhat reminiscent of old-fashioned Bible story pictures. It reads well too.

Hi GettingFree,

You mentioned you purchased the Raziel Tarot Deck recently: Did the deck only come with Majors? Is there an option when you order to request the minors as well?
Does anyone know is Place's goal is finished with the major acrana or if he also did the minor arcana too.
Unfortunately, I feel like a Majors Only Deck is much more for show for imo, some people read with them, but it just doesn't work with me.
Is there any intention of Minors being added to this deck or is their a version that already has one?

Thank you everyone,

Aeg.