Flashing Colors in the Albano-Waite

WandS

Albano Waite Tarot

Hi, I've recently purchased this deck and I really like it. It's my favourite version. My question might seem a bit silly, I'm not sure. I've heard somewhere that the colours in this deck are more than likely based on the alchemical process, is there a book or information somewhere that is related directly to the colours used in this deck? Thanks in advance for any help on this :)

Richard

Hi, I've recently purchased this deck and I really like it. It's my favourite version. My question might seem a bit silly, I'm not sure. I've heard somewhere that the colours in this deck are more than likely based on the alchemical process, is there a book or information somewhere that is related directly to the colours used in this deck? Thanks in advance for any help on this :)

The Albano-Waite uses an adaptation of P. F. Case's instructions for coloring the B.O.T.A. tarot, which in turn are based on the Golden Dawn color scales. Case's coloring instructions are available, but they do not include an explanation of the alchemical significance of the colors.

WandS

Albano Waite Tarot

Okay, thanks Richard.

Barleywine

Here's the Albano-Waite Fool compared to the B.O.T.A. one I hand-colored from my correspondence-course instructions back in the '80s. I've since obtained a much wider range of Prismacolor pencils, so if I did it again it wouldn't be quite so stark.

By the way, in the lessons that follow the ones containing the coloring instructions, Case does occasionally touch very briefly on the alchemical correspondences for the symbols (and their colors) on the cards, along with many other associations, but his only constant is his inconsistency.

Attachments

• Albano-Case Fools.jpg
    Albano-Case Fools.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 391

Richard

Here are some more comparisons of the BOTA (my coloring) and the Albano-Waite (German edition).

Attachments

• hp.jpg
    hp.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 356
  • lov.jpg
    lov.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 347
  • mag.jpg
    mag.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 348

Richard

WandS, there is a Qabalistic explanation of the color scales in Hodos Chamelionis. Colors 11 through 32 in the King Scale are particularly significant for trumps 0 through 21, respectively.

WandS

Albano Waite

I've had a look at the link Richard, Thanks for that. Will have to read it a few times to try and make sense of it.

I'm wondering if I'm in the deep end here. It's all very complicated :)
I know a little about the tree of life, but am really a newbie in that regard. I love to learn though and find it all fascinating, so will keep plugging away.