Ma'at Workbook vs Companion Book

daphne

With the MA'AT I found the workbook that came out later much more useful than the hardcover book.

A little bit offtopic, but I have to ask. What is the difference between Maat workbook and hardcover? Different information?
I want to buy a book for Maat and I am also interested to read what you said, not exactly the astrology part, but more about what she wanted to show in each card.

Dark Victory '39

the aid of the book

This is why i find the book useful-- i didn't know the 'wand' on the ace of wands was a musical instrument called a sistrum, an instrument "whose rhythm and motion drives away fury, violence, and rage." Used to move energy and symbolize "the perpetual movement of the universe."

Also, my knowledge on anything egypt is absolutely nil, so i do need to have someone tell me all about the saga of osiris and isis.

However, be forewarned that her index (b.c. of how she orders the cards w/ astrology) makes it take longer than it should to find specific cards. Also, i have noticed a few typos, but they don't really bother me at this point; i'm about a quarter of the way through.

There's a lot in that first quarter of the book about holidays and cross quarter days, and that might be less interesting to anyone who knows their pagan wheel.

granted, i've only been into Tarot for a few years, and i know i'm not experienced like a lot of y'all, so i do appreciate still when i get an artist's personal meanings that gel for me. i'm hesitant to say it's absolutely necessary, b.c. i was getting a lot out of just reading the pictures for two months w/ no book.

I too, would like to hear more about the workbook, what type of exercises are in it.

Dark Victory '39

im talking about the companion book

This thread just was transferred to the media section as i was writing my post, so just so you know im talking about the companion book, but wd love to hear abt the workbook!

magpie9

MA'AT companion book vs workbook

With the MA'AT, I did better with the workbook than the companion book. The companion book was dense, deep, packed with information...but it was also printed in a beautiful but difficult typeface, and the inner margins were too close to the binding for easy reading. The printer should have caught that, but didn't. Thre was a lot of astrology...which I respect, but don't understand beyound a very bare basics in standard western astrology. And I don't have much real interest in it beyound that. So that part was not much help.

The Workbook was written in a simpler style and more geared to what I wanted to know for reading with the cards. So it worked much better for me...there wasn't a lot on each card but it was clear, concise, to the point and useful. I was able to get a handle on cards that had completely baffled me before. The workbook was not written by Julie.

The other thing that helped a lot was the study group. The threads are still here.

I've not really seen either book for the Journey deck, and am wildly curious. For a while Julie had pages from the "Making Of" book on her pre-order site, and they were gorgeous and fascinating, and I'd loooove to get that book. But I probably won't get it, however, because of the price. I've not seen anything of the companion book except the introduction with talks about how she came to do the deck. Interesting, but it doesn't tell me how she presents the cards and gives information about them in the book, which is what I really want to know.
I'm hoping not to have to buy it sight unseen. Does anyone have a copy? What do you think?

Stormdancer

Can anyone point me in the direction of the workbook? I can't find it.

Stormdancer

It seems as if the download option is no longer available. I'm probably gonna have to pm her...LOL