Women of the Golden Dawn

momentarylight

I have had my eye on this for a while and finally ordered it this morning. I love Mary Greer's work and have been looking at books which are interesting and may refresh my interest in tarot and things esoteric.

Has anyone read this book and would they like to share their thoughts on it?

Perhaps we could imagine we are in book group having a conversation.

What interested you in the book so that you actually sought it out?

Did it meet your expectations and how?

What are the things you will remember about this book?

Thanks for any comments :)

gregory

I have it, have read it (a while ago now) and very much enjoyed it, though it took me ages - it is not a WOW can't put it down book.

The things I remember most - because of other stuff I live with ! - are what I learned about Yeats' involvement in it all (because I was partly looking for that) but also it debunks several dates that SO (in his study of Yeats and others) had always doubted ! It also brought all these people to life.

Some parts are a slightly sloggish read - but it was worth it.

Why I sought it out ? As a direct result of talking to Mary ! I had heard of it, but people had told me it was HTF and all the rest; talking to her I decided to take a look - and I got a hardback ex-review ("not for resale" !) - copy for very little money at all (I don't know if there is a soft cover version.) It also interested me in terms of the world surrounding the Pre-Raphaelite painters.

momentarylight

Thanks. My copy arrived yesterday. It has a soft-cover and was published by Park Street Press, Vermont but printed and bound in India. The only date is Mary Greer's copyright date of 1995.

Someone recommended that I read it in 2003 but I simply was not ready then. I have always been vaguely uncomfortable with occult societies and was not really interested in the Golden Dawn at that time.

Now I have become more interested in how women found some kind of purpose and expression in occult societies having more understanding of their difficulties in mainstream organisations like churches and the like.

Now I have some time but even so it will be some weeks before I can get down to it.

gregory

In a WAY it is more about women than the GD, if that makes sense - yes, loads of GD information, but the development of the women and their relationships to one another is almost more so... so you should be OK there.

There is a load of astrological information about each of them too with charts and the rest - I don't entirely get that but have a vague idea you are interested in that ?

momentarylight

In a WAY it is more about women than the GD, if that makes sense - yes, loads of GD information, but the development of the women and their relationships to one another is almost more so... so you should be OK there.

There is a load of astrological information about each of them too with charts and the rest - I don't entirely get that but have a vague idea you are interested in that ?

Thanks Gregory. I am interested in the women particularly: the role they play in such groups and the difficulties esoteric groups face in holding things together.

Had a quick flick through yesterday and it does look interesting. I know little aboout astrology but that does not matter.

Sumada

I thoroughly enjoyed it quite some time ago now - its a wonderful depiction of the era in general as much as being informative about the individuals involved. Probably time to read it again.

merissa_88

I'm probably going to get it. Marcus Katz integrates examples from the book into his lessons about reading the dignities.