Looking for Tarot bibliography 1940-1980

Ross G Caldwell

Two of the most influential Tarot books in French are as follows:

Joseph Maxwell: "Le tarot : le symbole, les arcanes, la divination", Félix Alcan, 1933.

Gérard van Rijnberk: "Le tarot: histoire, iconographie, ésotérisme", Derain, 1947.

Both include highly detailed, annotated bibliographies, and along with Paul Marteau's "Tarot de Marseille", were reprinted in the last 30 years or so.

Thanks for the recommendation of Maxwell. I see it has been discussed here over the years. First editions and the reprint are available at reasonable prices.

I have van Rijnberk; I agree it is a very important source in French Tarotism.

Ross G Caldwell

...if a reprint of Waite makes the grade, then what about Wirth's Le Tarot des Images du Moyen Age - 1966 pub. Tchou?

Yes, his is an essential source. I have a Tchou reprint (they also did Kaplan's Encyclopedia volume I in French, 1978, so it is an important French source as well). I also have the new English edition, with Mary Greer's introduction.

In general I find that the French tradition hasn't done well in the English world. Where Hebrew or Kabbalah is involved, it is still firmly Golden Dawn, Waite, Case and Crowley.

And (glaring omission! ) Crowley's The Book of Thoth - 1944 but not sure who published it first.

Of course - I've had more copies of that than I can count. I still have two. There is a first edition of 1944, which is among the more expensive of Crowley's editions (I saw one at Ben Abraham Books in Toronto in 1987, it was 2000 dollars Canadian even then). I believe the reprints begin in 1969.

Then there's John Starr Cooke's book for T:The New Tarot for the Aquarian Age - 1969 Western Star Press.

I don't recall that one - thanks!

Sumada

God I wish I could read French! Maxwell and Rijnberk sound vital - have they ever been translated? My '49 Marteau remains unread :'( but the tipped in paper cards are glorious! Thankfully Weiser published a translation of Wirth credited to one Richard Gardner - often wonder if its the same guy mentioned earlier.

Another for the list (for the lesser importance collumn) -
Maps of Consciousness - Ralph Metzner - Collier Macmillan 1971

Holy Smoke

How the Tarot Speaks to Modern Man - Theodor Laurence - 1972 Stackpole Books

rwcarter

I purposely excluded companion books for the most part. If you want those, I can provide some more titles for you.

Ross G Caldwell

I purposely excluded companion books for the most part. If you want those, I can provide some more titles for you.

I suppose you have to use your judgment here. If the companion book has relevance outside of the deck it was made for (I'm not sure Kaplan's Tarot Classic makes the cut, but I don't have it so I don't know what it says), then I would be interested. PKT might be considered a companion book, but as it contains the illustrations and has been historically important, it certainly applies - although it is outside of the timeline here (I can include the 30s and early 80s as well, but I'm really only looking for books in the generation immediately preceding our own, not every book ever written).

Some companion books definitely must have intrinsic value for the historiorgraphy of esoteric and divinatory Tarot.

Ross G Caldwell

How the Tarot Speaks to Modern Man - Theodor Laurence - 1972 Stackpole Books

That definitely looks like the kind of book my aunt who gave me the Rider Waite would have had on her shelf.

Check on that one - thanks!

_R_

God I wish I could read French! Maxwell and Rijnberk sound vital - have they ever been translated?

Maxwell's book was translated and published in English in the late 1970s - but the reviews of this edition on AT have been rather unfavourable - apparently it is only a partial translation, and not a particularly good one at that.

Van Rijnberk's work is little known outside of France though remains a seminal study on Tarot iconography.

In terms of "practical divination", Paul Marteau's booklet for his 1930s deck is somewhat more useful than his weighty tome - he gives not only the "analogical" and "divinatory" meanings of the cards, but also interpretations for the "rencontres" or "encounters" - 2 card combinations, something not present in his main work. This booklet accompanied editions of his deck from its inception through to the 1950s.

Sumada

Thanks for that _R_ I must seek them.
And appologies to Alfred Douglas, you should have been in my first list! The Tarot - The Origins, Meaning and Uses of the Cards. First pub. 1972 by Taplinger Publishing Co. Inc. NY

Darkmage

In addition, Maxwell leans heavily toward the numerology aspect of Tarot to the exclusion of a great deal else. He also reassigns some of the elements of the suits. He also doesn't have any illustrations so what deck he used is open to debate--people assume it's the Marseilles but there's really no way to tell.

It's an interesting book, but I wouldn't pay too much for it.

Another one worth checking out is Tarot Revelations by Joseph Campbell and Richard Roberts. They discuss how Tarot relates to Hermeticism quite a bit here.