Looking for Tarot bibliography 1940-1980

Teheuti

I'll try not to duplicate others, but no guarantees:

1939 The Encyclopedia of Occult Sciences introduced by M. C. Poinsot (NY: Tudor Publishing Co.) Reprinted as The Complete Book of the Occult and Fortune Telling (1945). Summarizes the interpretations of Eudes Picard (1909). Translation of a 1925 French book of the same name.

1946 Nightmare Alley, a novel by William Lindsay Gresham (New York: Rinehart & Co). Twenty-two chapters, each headed by a Major Arcana card from the Rider-Waite-Smith deck, forming a 22-card reading. Gresham’s widow, Joy Davidman, later married C. S. Lewis, and their story is told in the movie Shadowlands. (Movie version of Nightmare Alley made in 1947 - a truly great film noir.)

1948 The Tarot Keys To This Day by Henrietta E. Schmandt (self-published by Henrietta E. Schmandt, 174, North Prade Ave., Buffalo NY).

1949 La Cabala de Prediccion by J. Iglesias Janeiro (Buenos Aires). Uses the Falconnier/Wegner images and expands on Paul Christian’s text. Many later editions.

1951 The Royal Road: A study in the Egyptian Tarot: Key to Sacred Numbers and Symbols by George Fathman (Life Research Foundation. (See also 1977.)

1951 Le Tarot Initiatique et Symbolique by M. Gillot (Imprimerie Du Barrois).

1952 The History and Practice of Magic by Paul Christian (London: Forge Press). “Newly translated from the French with Additional Material by Modern Authorities, edited and revised by Ross Nichols; translated by James Kirkup and Julian Shaw.” From the French original-1870.

1954 The Painted Caravan: A Penetration into the Secrets of the Tarot Cards by Basil Rakoczi (The Hague, Netherlands: Boucher). Tarot divination according to gypsy lore in a letterpress edition with original color woodblock-style art illustrations.

1957 L’Art Magique by André Breton (Paris, Club Français du Livre). Breton writes about the important aesthetic value of the tarot.

1962 Tarot der Eingeweihten by Joachim Winckelmann (Berlin: Verlag Richard Schikowski). Includes 22 Egyptianized Major Arcana cards in back pocket, printed in ochre and black.

1965/72 The Esoteric Tarot: The Key to the Cabala by Simon Kasdin (Convent NJ: The Emerson Society, 1965; and NY: Samuel Weiser, 1972). (Original illustrations of Majors.)

1966 The Tarot Cards Painted by Bembo by Gertrude Moakley (NY: New York Public Library). A great inspiration and impetus to the modern study of Tarot history. Proposed a relationship between the Trumps, Petrarch, and Renaissance parades.

1967 Tarot-Card Spread Reader by Doris Chase Doane (Prentice Hall) (LL) The first book devoted to spreads.

1967 Tarot for the Millions by Sidney Bennett (LA: Sherborne Press). Note: this was not the Sidney Bennett (aka “Wynn”) who was an early 20th Century astrologer.

1968 Manuel complet d'interpretation du tarot by Hades (Paris: Bussiere). Supposedly based on a 1761 original.

1969 The Tarot by Brad Steiger and Ron Warmoth (NY: Award Books). (Marseilles illustrations.)

1969 Tarot and the Bible by Corinne Heline (Oceanside CA: New Age Press). (Illustrated with the Church of Light/Falconnier-Wegener tarot deck.)

1969 Ancient Tarot Symbolism Revealed by Professor Hilton Hotema (Lakemont GA: CSA Press). Hotema was pseudonum for George R. Clements who also wrote The Land of Light (Pomeroy WA, 1959). (Card illustrations mixed BOTA, Hall-Knapp, Marseilles.)

1969 The Prophetic Tarot and the Great Pyramid by Rodolfo Benavides (translation of the 14th Spanish edition) (Mexico: Editores Mexicanos Unidos). (Original Egyptian illustrations w/ Marseilles and RWS influences.) Relates Majors to the Book of Revelations.

1969 ‘Il castello dei destini incrociati by Italo Calvino (Franco Maria Ricci). (See 1976 English translation, Castle of Crossed Destinies. Fiction.

1970 More Tarot Secrets for the Millions by Sidney Bennett (LA: Sherborne Press). In her 2nd book (see 1967) Miss Bennett reveals “a new modern Gypsy interpretation of the Tarot.”

1970 Foreseeing the Future by Basil Ivan Rakoczi (NY: Castle Books).

1970 La Cartomancie: L’Art de decouvrir l’avenir par les cartes et les tarots par Mme Zezina. No author (but presumably Mme. Zezina), (Paris: Bornemann)

1971 El Tarot O La Maquina De Imaginar by Alberto Cousté (Barral Barcelona, 1971). Many reprints.

1971 Tarot & You by Richard Roberts (Hastings-on-Hudson NY: Morgan & Morgan). (Illustrated by the Aquarian Tarot.)

1971 Tarot and the Game of Fate by Yitzhac Kahn (San Francisco: Sebaac Publishers).

1971 Keystone of Tarot Symbols: An Outline of Tarot Symbology in a Nutshell by the Holy Order of MANS (San Francisco: Holy Order of MANS). (Re-drawn BOTA-style card illustrations. See also 1974, 1979.)

1971 The Meaning of Tarot by David Hoy (Nashville TN: Aurora Publishers). (Original RWS-style card illustrations by Dale Phillips).

1971 Maps of Consciousness by Ralph Metzner (NY: Collier). Combined Paul Russell Schofield’s Actualism with John Cooke’s Tarot.

1972 Yeats, the Tarot and the Golden Dawn by Kathleen Raine (Dublin: Dolmen Press). Includes photos of Yeats’ personal deck and Golden Dawn notebook tarot drawings. Was republished in 1976 in a corrected edition.

1972 Understanding the Tarot by Dr. Leo L. Martello (NY: HC Publishers). (RWS illustrations.)

1972 How the Tarot Speaks to Modern Man by Theodor Laurence (Harrisberg PA: Stackpole Books). (RWS illustrations.)

1972 Tarot Card Symbology by Max Freedom Long (Cape Girardeau MO: Huna Press). (RWS illustrations.) Includes articles from Huna Vistas going back to 1965.

1972 Pages from a Tree: Artists’ Notebook Series #1 by Armando Busick (San Francisco: Unity Press). Forward by Stephen Levine. “Poemgraphics” that “came through the artist during an intense period of decoding the Qabalah and Tarot.”

1973 Tarot: How to foretell your future in the cards by Kathleen McCormack (Surrey: Fontana Books/Collins). (Illustrated by Italian Piedmontse deck.)

1973 The Windows of Tarot by Frederick David Graves (Dobbs Ferry NY: Morgan & Morgan). (Illustrated with the Aquarian Tarot.) Light-weight.

1973 The Book of Tarot by Fred Gettings (London: Triune Books). Illustrated large-format book. Interpretations based on Marseilles cards and geometric symbolism.

1973 The Tarot and Transformation by Lynn M. Buess (Lakemont GA: Tarnhelm Press). (Illustrated with Church of Light/Falconnier-Wegener style cards redrawn by Roxana R. Donegan)

1973 Practical Astrology by Comte C. de Saint-Germain (Hollywood: Newcastle). Reprint (1901).

1973 De Hermetische Tarot by Dio Raman (publisher?) (New title and edition 1976, 1983.)

1974 Jewels of the Wise by the Holy Order of MANS (San Francisco: Holy Order of MANS) (Re-drawn BOTA-style card illustrations.)

1974 Tarot: An Illustrated Guide by Rebecca Micca Warner (NY: St. Martin’s Press & London: Academy Editions). (Primarily Marseilles illustrations.)

1974 The Secrets of Ancient Witchraft with The Witches Tarot by Arnold and Patricia Crowther, with introduction and notes by Dr. Leo Louis Martello (Secaucus NJ: Citadel Press). Illustrations of Majors by Arnold Crowther.

1974 The Hanged Man: Psychotherapy and the Forces of Darkness by Sheldon Kopp (Palo Alto CA: Science and Behavior Books).

1975 JK Tarot. Book & deck set first pubiished in 1975 by Tairiku Shobo (Japan). A significant book.

1975 The Definitive Tarot by Bill Butler (London: Rider & Co). Published same year in the U.S. as Dictionary of the Tarot (NY: Schocken Books).

1975 The Royal Road: A Manual of Kabalistic Meditations on the Tarot by Stephan A. Hoeller (Wheaton IL: Quest/Theosophical Publishing House). (RWS illustrations.)

1975 The Guide Meditation: The Manual on Theory and Technique by Edwin C. Steinbrecher (Santa Fe: self-published). First edition of a major work on a Tarot meditation practice. Published by Samuel Weiser in 1988.

1975 El Tarot: La Baraja Profetica by Joss Irish Roca (?) Mexico (LL).

1975 The Word of One: Aquarius Tarot Notes, by Rosalind Sharpe, Tarnhelm, 1975. Contains the complete text of the Ouija board sessions that resulted in the design of The New Tarot for the Aquarian Age (see 1969).

1976 A Feminist Tarot by Sally Gearhart and Susan Rennie (Watertown MA: Pandora's Box). First book to give feminist interpretations (RWS deck).

1976 The Symbolism of the Tarot by P.D. Ouspensky (NY: Dover). Reprint of his 1913 book.

1976 Forbidden Images: The Secrets of the Tarot by David Lemieux (NY: Barnes & Noble).

1976 Tarot: Its Meaning, Mythology and Methods of Devination by Martin J. Wyatt (Leicestershire: Valldaro Books).

1976 The Rational Tarot. How To Use It, Why It Works by Bernard Spencer Le Gette (London: Arthur Barker Limited).

1976 The Quantum Gods: The Origin and Nature of Matter and Consciousness by Jeff Love (London: Compton Press Ltd.).

1976/81 The Golden Cycle: A Text on the Tarot by John Sandbach and Ronn Ballard (Chicago: Aries Press). (No illustrations.) Metaphysical linguistics approach to Tarot.

1977 The Tarot: How to Use and Interpret the Cards by Brian Innes (London: Orbis Publishing).

1978 Wisdom of the Tarot: Taught Simply: Ten steps to learning to read the Tarot Cards by E-Lois WinklerLovell (Anaheim CA: Love).

1978 El Sendero Iniciático en los Arkanos del ‘Tarot y Kábala’ by Samael Aun Weor (Budha Maitreya, Kalki Avatara de la Nueva Era de Acuario) (Mexico: Iglesia Gnostica Cristiana Universal). A major work by this Gnostic philosopher, since translated into several languages including French and English. Illustrated by the Majors of a Falconnier-Wegener style Egyptian deck that has been published as the Egipcios Kier Tarot Deck (Buenos Aires; and U.S. Games, 1984).

1977 The Tarot: Path to Self Development by Micheline Stuart (Boulder CO: Shambhala).

1978 An Introduction to the Golden Dawn Tarot by Robert Wang (NY: Samuel Weiser). Includes “Book T,” the original documents on Tarot from the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn.

1978 Il Solleone: Dieci Anni di Azioni Promozionali, Editoriali, Provocatorie di Amicizia, di Collezionismo nel mondo Europeo della Cartagiocofilia 1969-1978 by Vito Arienti (Milan: Edizioni del Solleone di Vito Arienti). A highly illustrated anniversary book celebrating ten years of the love of cards and tarot by Il Solleone, Italian deck publishers. It includes original etchings and pages of uncut sheets from published decks. Limited edition of 500.

1978 Tarot: Paintings by Andrea Picini text by Ugo Moretti, translated from the Italian by Chama Armitage (Bergamo: Galleria d’Arte L’Antenna). A book celebrating the art of the tarot and, in particular, the paintings by Andrea Picini of the Major Arcana.

1979 Tarot Revelations by Joseph Campbell and Richard Roberts (No publisher named).

1979 God of Tarot by Piers Anthony (NY: Jove). Fiction.

1979 The Game of Life by Timothy Leary. Seriously tripped out stuff---acid, DNA, space-time continuum.

1979 Le Tarot des Grands Initiés de l’Ancienne Égypte by Jean-Louis Victor. Includes interpretations for both Major and Minor Arcana. Illustrated with 22 Egyptianized Major Arcana. (Republished in Ottawa Canada 1994.)

Ross G Caldwell

Wow, that's a show-stopping list! Thanks Mary. For the highlights as well. They're very helpful.

Some real gems in there; especially those from the 40s and 50s (can you tell me if Rakoczi gives Latin titles to his trumps in 1954? I've ordered his 1970 "Fortune Telling" (for the Man Myth and Magic" series), but this one is a little more expensive to get on a hunch. I know it's worth owning for its own sake, but I have others to buy first).

Benavides 1969 attributes the trumps to the chapters of the Book of Revelation. That is very good to know - his book at least is around at very reasonable prices.

I really had no idea that Tim Leary wrote on the Tarot. This bit of psychedelia sounds right up my alley too.

Just after a quick scan of what rw, adam, lee, R, and Holy Smoke have already offered, with yours on top, I think my birthday discretionary fund this year will have to be spent early.

More, more, please!

Sumada

Outstanding Mary!!

Even if I ever found them all, I doubt I could finish, let alone absorb them all in this lifetime.

This is undoubtedly one of the most informative threads on AT

Kudos :~)

Teheuti

can you tell me if Rakoczi gives Latin titles to his trumps in 1954?
Rákóczi gives English titles - more Marseille-like. The Fool, The Juggler, Pope Joan . . . The House of God. The others are all standard.

His keyword characterizations are fairly standard (Levi, Papus and Christian) with some variations:
0- Folly (first card)
1- A Gamble
2- Wisdom
3- Action
4- Will Power
5- Inspiration
6- Love
7- Triumph
8- Balance
9- Prudence
10- Destiny
11- Fortitude
12- Sacrifice
13- Life and Death
14- Economy (the middle path)
15- Ill-health
16- Change
17- Hope
18- Danger
19- Happiness
20- Advancement
21- Success

Teheuti

Ross - I think you would really enjoy the Tim Leary book, although it is probably expensive unless it's been reprinted. He adds two cards to bring the number to 24 and sets them into a scheme of human evolution. My ex had a copy so, unfortunately, I never tracked one down for myself. One core idea is that humanity is evolutionarily destroying the planet to force us off Earth in order to go into Space as our next big stage of evolution. Not original, but he sets it in a whole bio-philosophical context.

Ross G Caldwell

Rákóczi gives English titles - more Marseille-like. The Fool, The Juggler, Pope Joan . . . The House of God. The others are all standard.

His keyword characterizations are fairly standard (Levi, Papus and Christian) with some variations:
0- Folly (first card)
1- A Gamble
2- Wisdom
3- Action
4- Will Power
5- Inspiration
6- Love
7- Triumph
8- Balance
9- Prudence
10- Destiny
11- Fortitude
12- Sacrifice
13- Life and Death
14- Economy (the middle path)
15- Ill-health
16- Change
17- Hope
18- Danger
19- Happiness
20- Advancement
21- Success

Thank you very much Mary - that is super helpful. I now have his book Fortune Telling: A Guide to Foreseeing the Future (London; Macdonald Unit 75, 1970), and he lists the trumps similarly, but with some differences, in chapter 2, "Taromancy: The Art of Tarot Card Divination" (pp. 36-53):

Zero. The Fool. Le Mat. Everyman on the Life Path. Folly.
I. The Juggler or Magus. Le Bateleur. - Choice
II. Pope Joan. La Papesse. - Secret Doctrines.
III. The Empress. L'Imperatrice. - Intuition.
IIII. The Emperor. L'Empereur. - Reason.
V. The Pope. Le Pape. - Inspiration.
VI. The Lovers. L'Amoureux. - Love sacred and profane.
VII. The Chariot. Le Chariot. - Success. Travel.
VIII. Justice. La Justice. - Equilibrium.
VIIII. The Hermit. L'Hermite. - Sagaciy.
X. The Wheel. La Roue de Fortune. - Fate. Chance.
XI. Strength. La Force. - Courage.
XII. The Hanged Man. Le Pendu. - Sacrifice.
XIII. Death (unnamed on the card as a rule). - Rebirth.
XIIII. The Angel. Temperance. - Prudence.
XV. Satan. Le Diable. - Temptation.
XVI. The Tower struck by Lightning. La Maison Dieu. - Change.
XVII. The Star. L'Etoile. - Initiation. Good luck.
XVIII. The Moon. La Lune. - Danger. Instablility.
XVIIII. The Sun. Le Soleil. - Joy. Union.
XX. The Last Judgment. Le Jugement. - Total assessment.
XXI. The World. Le Monde. - Triumph.

He also gives van Rijnberk's Latin epithets for the trumps, except for the Fool, in the next chapter, "Initiation by Way of the Tarot of the Bohemians."

_R_

He also gives van Rijnberk's Latin epithets for the trumps, except for the Fool, in the next chapter, "Initiation by Way of the Tarot of the Bohemians."

With respect to the Latin epithets used by Van Rijnberk, René Guénon, in an otherwise positive review says:

"En tête des considérations se rapportant à chacun des arcanes majeurs, il a placé une sorte de devise formée de deux mots latins, qui a sans doute la prétention d’en résumer plus ou moins le sens général; et ce qui est assez amusant, c’est qu’il s’est visiblement efforcé de trouver, dans autant de cas qu’il l’a pu, des mots, ayant pour initiales les deux lettres S. I.! Mais n’insistons pas davantage sur cette fantaisie sans conséquence…"

Ross G Caldwell

With respect to the Latin epithets used by Van Rijnberk, René Guénon, in an otherwise positive review says:

"En tête des considérations se rapportant à chacun des arcanes majeurs, il a placé une sorte de devise formée de deux mots latins, qui a sans doute la prétention d’en résumer plus ou moins le sens général; et ce qui est assez amusant, c’est qu’il s’est visiblement efforcé de trouver, dans autant de cas qu’il l’a pu, des mots, ayant pour initiales les deux lettres S. I.! Mais n’insistons pas davantage sur cette fantaisie sans conséquence…"

Thanks for the quote from Guénon's review. Is the whole review available?

I'm sorry if I miss the joke. "S.I.". "Si"? "If"? (the phrase is "Summa = Infima")

I really don't get it. I have been out socially tonight. Perhaps some time will clear my head.

Ross G Caldwell

Sorry, yes of course, the link to the OCR'd book (Comptes Rendus - a compilation of book reviews) is here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/50853425/26b-Guenon-Comptes-Rendus

"S.I." stands for: "Superiores Incogniti" , or Unknown Superiors...

Thank you _R_, I'll get to it immediately.

As soon as I went to bed, I realized that René Guénon was pointing out that van Rijnberk seemed to making a point with trying so hard to find epithets that had the initials "S.I.", of which there are indeed seven:

0. Sanctus Innocens
I. Summa=Infima
IV. Stablia Instabilit
V. Sacra Inflat
IX. Secreta Investigat
XII. Suspensus Inservit
XVII. Superum Influx

I then realized that Guénon was winking, for those who knew, alluding to the phrase "Serviteurs Inconnus", that I had read about van Rijnberk's relationship to Parisian Martinism here -

"Il appartient à cette catégorie de Serviteurs Inconnus (Edouard Blitz, Michad Tokarevsky, James I. Wedgwood et bien d'autres) qui saufgardèrent la validité de l'initiation Martiniste alors que ces mêmes figures de l'école Martiniste française affirment l'avoir perdue."

http://kingsgarden.org/French/Organisations.F/OM.F/Rijnberk/Rijnberk.html

But now you have added another allusion, to unknown superiors!

Well, it is certainly suspicious, and Guénon knew everybody concerned, so there must be an inside joke here.