Which RWS deck?

Aster Breo

There are so many RWS decks! I need help figuring out which to buy.

I already know that I greatly prefer the Marseilles style decks -- I just like the art better. (Though I do like the idea of illustrated pips...)

But I'm currently working through a couple of books on the history of tarot -- I'm reading Robert Place's book right now and Huson's is next -- and I'd like to be able to really look at the RWS cards as they're discussed. So, I want to pick up a deck.

Oh, and I'd really like to not spend a lot on it, since I already know I'm probably not going to read with it.

Any suggestions on which one I should get?

Thanks!

GlitterNova

My favorite is the Smith-Waite Centennial Tarot. The colors are muted and it has slight distressing that makes it look quite nice. Also the cards feel great.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/smith-waite/

It comes in a full kit BUT you can buy just the deck on Amazon for less money. ALSO, it comes in a pocket size in a tin for even less money!

Richard

The Smith-Waite Centennial is the only deck I ever use besides the Marseille. I have several RWS versions, but this one is the best. I especially like the pocket sized tinned edition.

According to Mary Greer, one should generally take Robert Place's comments on the RWS with a grain of salt, as he tends to make intuitive judgments which cannot be verified.

AntonK1111

The best of the RWS decks, in my opinion, is the Smith-Waite Centennial deck in a tin. They are easy to shuffle and the coloring is nice and subdued. Also, the backs are elegant and not the tartan backs that the other RWS decks have.

Alta

I'll also chime in for the Smith-Waite Centennial.

Aster Breo

Looks like the Centennial is the way to go. ;-)

And it's in a tin. Even better!

Chrystella

Another vote for the Centennial. However, if you think you're not going to read with it and just want to study it, then I suggest the Giant Rider-Waite so you can see the details better.

Aster Breo

Another vote for the Centennial. However, if you think you're not going to read with it and just want to study it, then I suggest the Giant Rider-Waite so you can see the details better.

That's a good idea. I didn't think of that, but it makes sense.

Thanks!

Richard

That's a good idea. I didn't think of that, but it makes sense.

Thanks!
It's a good idea, but be forewarned that the crude images, when enlarged, appear even more crude. The Centennial sort of glosses over the crudeness, which results in an improvement.

All we have to go by are the original printings, and they are not up to modern standards.

Aster Breo

It's a good idea, but be forewarned that the crude images, when enlarged, appear even more crude. The Centennial sort of glosses over the crudeness, which results in an improvement.

All we have to go by are the original printings, and they are not up to modern standards.

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

I like the idea of the larger cards, but I'm leaning toward the Centennial because -- who knows? -- maybe I *will* read with it at some point.