Which RWS deck?

Richard

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

I like the idea of the larger cards, but I'm leaning toward the Centennial because -- who knows? -- maybe I *will* read with it at some point.

Pamela Colman Smith was a very accomplished illustrator, and she did express some concerns about how the printed cards would look. They certainly did not meet her high standards, but for affordable mass production at that time, some compromises had to be made. Personally, although I had used the RWS for many years, I never really liked the images until the Centennial appeared.

SarahJoy

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

I like the idea of the larger cards, but I'm leaning toward the Centennial because -- who knows? -- maybe I *will* read with it at some point.

The PCS Centennial is available in both "regular" and tin-sized, if that makes a difference.

Emily

I've used the Giant Rider Waite as a study deck, I've also read with it - it's pretty impressive spread out over a table :) - But my favourites are the US Games Centennial decks, the artwork and colouring are attractive and the smaller deck in a tin is really convenient, I tend to keep it in my bag. :)

Michellehihi

I love the Golden Rider because it was re-drawn in warm colours and has a golden border. It is my favorite RW, the artist is French.

Abrac

If you want something for study purposes it's hard to beat these scans at kenji's blog. They're the originals are are VERY big. The only downside is you have to be at a computer to view them. You could view them on a tablet I guess, a phone might be a bit too small. They're good if you want to get a look at how something looks in the original version.

foolMoon

My favorite RWS deck is the Giant RWS deck published in Italy, and the blue boxed RWS deck printed in London 1971.

Aster Breo

I just received my Smith-Waite Tarot Deck Centennial Edition in the tin. It's exactly what I was hoping for. The colors are far less jarring than the RWS deck I used to have, so I like this much better.

Thank you all for your recommendations!

AntonK1111

I just received my Smith-Waite Tarot Deck Centennial Edition in the tin. It's exactly what I was hoping for. The colors are far less jarring than the RWS deck I used to have, so I like this much better.

Thank you all for your recommendations!

That's fantastic! You will truly enjoy this beautiful deck :)

Ingrid

Thanks for the suggestions about the Centennial RWS. I've been using the basic RWS and, while I actually like the bright colors, the back of the cards with that godawful blue and white plaid has not been encouraging my connection with the cards. The re-colorings I've looked at, like the Radiant, haven't seemed right to me because I don't love the softened, re-drawn look of the cards.

I love the look and feel of the Centennial though. I haven't adjusted to the muted colors because I haven't used them for readings yet, but I am really excited about getting to know these cards! The design of the backs, as well as the texture and weight of the cards, are definitely an improvement over the deck I've been using. And I love the vintage look of the cards.

Reine des Épées

My favorite is the Smith-Waite Centennial Tarot. The colors are muted and it has slight distressing that makes it look quite nice. Also the cards feel great.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/smith-waite/

It comes in a full kit BUT you can buy just the deck on Amazon for less money. ALSO, it comes in a pocket size in a tin for even less money!

I was looking at it online only yesterday. Someone else said that the cards are less slick in feel than some others.