Which RWS deck?

Reine des Épées

My favorite RWS deck is the Giant RWS deck published in Italy, and the blue boxed RWS deck printed in London 1971.

I own the Giant deck; Dusty White recommended it for easier study of the symbols. I also own the Universal deck which comes in a blue box, but I think it came out later than 1971.

Neely 222

Just chiming in as another fan of the Centennial RWS. I love the aged look of the deck. It's aesthetically pleasing to me.

feynrir

Centennial is way too dark and disappointing.

I almost feel like a lone voice in the darkness. Is anyone else disappointed by the...well, darkness of the PCS Centennial edition?

I'm not a huge fan of it. A well-produced deck will look old eventually; I don't need it to look old now. I actually much prefer the super mass market "garish" edition to the PCS deck; the backs are fugly, that much is true, but everything is crystal clear on those cards.

I think my favorite version of the RWS is the Albano Waite. I get the best readings from it and I personally love the colors. Usually, though, I have to admit I use the traditional coloring of the regular version because it feels "correct."

If I wanted a softer version of the RWS to read with, I would choose the Universal Waite. It's not perfect but I honestly think Mary Hanson-Roberts did a tremendous job. (Case in point: comparison to the Radiant.)

Barleywine

I also reach for the Albano Waite when I want to use an RWS deck instead of my preferred Thoth. It definitely has "presence." I have the Radiant as well, but that pales (literally) in comparison. I still haven't bought the Centennial, and it keeps creeping farther down my wish-list. Overly muted color is the main objection I have to most of the "fairy" decks, and I'm concerned this might be the same.

Terrapin

I agree that the Centennial is too dark. I don't mind the muted colors, but I feel like I'm looking at it in a dark room that needs the shades lifted. I actually feel a little depressed when I try to read with it. Have to say I dig the backs though. The older yellow box RWS printed in Switzerland is for me the most easily available (ebay) standard edition with great color and print quality. I too love the Albano. It's my favorite RWS, but it can make my head spin, so I only use it once in a while; love it anyway.

feynrir

I agree that the Centennial is too dark. I don't mind the muted colors, but I feel like I'm looking at it in a dark room that needs the shades lifted. I actually feel a little depressed when I try to read with it. Have to say I dig the backs though. The older yellow box RWS printed in Switzerland is for me the most easily available (ebay) standard edition with great color and print quality. I too love the Albano. It's my favorite RWS, but it can make my head spin, so I only use it once in a while; love it anyway.

I can't agree more about the "depressed" feeling bit. The line quality is great, for sure, but then why dim the color so damn much? People complain about not being able to see/read the Shadowscapes or Paulina. I think the Shadowscapes at the very least is a clearer read than the PCS Centennial.

Richard

I agree that the Centennial is too dark. I don't mind the muted colors, but I feel like I'm looking at it in a dark room that needs the shades lifted. I actually feel a little depressed when I try to read with it.......

I've heard that the colors on the original Pamela A also are rather dim and dull.

Zephyros

The nit-picker in me can find fault with the Centennial for purporting to reproduce something authentic when it really isn't, but taken for what it is I think it a delightful deck. I'm not a connoisseur, this is my first RWS deck that I actually purchased, and I've only known the yellow-box editions, but I'm very satisfied with it.

foolMoon

I own the Giant deck; Dusty White recommended it for easier study of the symbols. I also own the Universal deck which comes in a blue box, but I think it came out later than 1971.

Since 2005, I have owned my Giant RWS deck printed in Italy, and its my Go-to RWS deck.

Recently I have located a heavily worn Universal Waite deck in light brownish coloured box in the cupboard. I was so glad to find this forgotten deck maybe has been sleeping in the darkness of enclosed space for years. It says copy right 1990 US Games on the box. It surprisingly shuffles and reads well.

Richard

For a colorful version, which has authentic GD color symbolism, Albano-Waite is the way to go, in my opinion. Unlike the Radiant and Universal, the line drawings are Pamela's, precisely reproduced. It was my favorite version before the Centennial came out. Stuck on a desert island with only one deck, either version would be equally satisfactory.