Which RWS deck?

EmpyreanKnight

I now have the PCS Centennial, the Original Rider Waite, the Rider Tarot Deck in the yellow box, and the Pocket Size Rider Tarot Deck. I have opened all except for the last one, and aesthetically speaking, my favorite now is the PCS Centennial, with the Original and the Rider holding equal affection in my heart.

There's just something about the Centennial's creamy borders, clear line work, and dreamily muted palette that speaks to me. The Rider Tarot is suited for glorious spring afternoons and bright summer days, while the Original is a workhorse you can use anytime, anywhere. But the Centennial is perfect for those cold moonlit nights and rainy monsoon mornings which are very much my element. This is a very good study deck, and if you're also angling for a Lenormand, Pixie's Astounding deck perfectly complements this. For once I'm seriously thinking of getting a reserve copy, it's that good.

Morwenna

My first deck was a pre-1971 USGS version that was printed in Switzerland by University Books. My memory is probably suffering from 'halcyon days' enhancement--but the rendition and general coloration seemed better than what is available now. Currently, I have a USGS printing that hails from the late 1980s--much better than the present printing.

I never had the University Books version, but a friend of mine got one at a tag sale some years ago and I'm in love! Such vibrant colors!

Many years ago, in my early Tarot days (early '80s), I bought a mini-RWS just so I could say I had one; I knew the images from books (many used to use that deck as illustration) but I preferred other decks. But I've gotten friendly with it these past few years. It did come in a yellow box, it's US Games printed by AGMuller in Switzerland, copyright 1971. The print quality is very good and the colors are light and airy. I just recently bought the Centennial (just the deck, not the set), and yes the colors are darker, a little muddier, and the color separation isn't as clean as I'd like in some places, but it's still a handsome deck. I wouldn't mind, though, having a standard-sized deck with the airy colors of my mini. (The Centennial looks like it's happening in a thunderstorm, compared to my mini.) But whatever, it would have to have the hand-lettering!

I wouldn't want the Albano, though; from what I've seen of it in pictures, it's too orange for me.

I do have the Universal Waite and like it a lot, for the reasons other people in this thread have mentioned. I had the Radiant, but never liked it as much as the Universal so I eventually sold it. Whereas the Universal is just recolored, the Radiant is redrawn, and it shows.

Fluffle

My favorite version of the Rider-Waite is definitely the Universal Rider-Waite. It's not so much for the colors but for how the cards (and faces) are illustrated. For example, The Sun card - the baby's face is drawn much better.