Which blue box version is earliest?

CharlotteK

I've seen two 'blue box' decks on ebay with quite different prices. Please can anyone tell me which is the earliest from the addresses on the front of the LWB?

I've read as many of the blue box threads as I could find before posting but none of them really answered the question. Both have tartan backs. The one with the Fitzroy Square address is published by A.G. Mueller & Cie. Not sure about the other one but address seems to be Conway St?

7f49e423324740a4a8b14768ac9814fe.jpg
41d3c2dbeb7eac11da6f19d80e07ac5a.jpg

Abrac

That's a good question. I did some digging but there doesn't seem to be much about the history of Rider & Co. I looked on eBay to see if I could find any vintage books that might yield clues but nothing at this time. I did notice they've used a lot of different addresses.

CharlotteK

That's a good question. I did some digging but there doesn't seem to be much about the history of Rider & Co. I looked on eBay to see if I could find any vintage books that might yield clues but nothing at this time. I did notice they've used a lot of different addresses.

Thanks Abrac. I thought the Fitzroy Square address may be earlier. But that was more hunch than any actual proof.

gregory

Teheuti's history in this thread may help:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=85278
• Blue lift-off box with World card (yellow wreath & purple scarf). Printed by A. G. Mueller.
-Side 1 reads: The original and only authorized edition of Tarot Cards / Rider & Co, 3 Fitzroy Square, London W1 / in association with Waddington Playing Card Co Ltd.”
-End flap: “First edition 1910/ Reprinted many times to 1939/ Second edition 1971.”
-Side 3: Pamela Colman Smith’s name correctly spelled as “Colman.”
-No copyright on cards.
Lines sharper and colors slightly more intense than later versions. Matte. Fitzroy Square seems to be the address through 1975. [I have a Waddington-labeled deck with a LWB that says “This edition 1972 / Printed by Flarepath Printers Ltd., Watling Street, Colney Street, St. Albans, Herts.”]
[Accompanied by book: “Key to the Tarot” (same image as box): book (sold separately) says: “All Rights Reserved” First published 1910/This edition 1972/Second impression 1973/Third impression 1974. ISBN 0 09 109351 1.]

• Slightly lighter blue lift-off box with World card (green wreath & purple scarf).
-Printed by A. G. Mueller. Rider & Co -17-21 Conway Street - London W1P6JD. (Post-1975?)
-Pamela Colman Smith’s name spelled incorrectly as “Coleman.”
-Copyright on lower right margins of cards in editions after 1975. Same quality as U.S. Games. Matte.

CharlotteK

Teheuti's history in this thread may help:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=85278
Ah, thank you! I read quite a few threads but I seem to have missed this one. Really helpful :)

The version with the Fitzroy Square address on the front of the LBW definitely has a lighter and more yellow wreath on the box, and there is no copyright on the cards. There is copyright on the cards in the Conway St version - so that one fits with the description of the second one in Teheuti's history.

But Pamela's name is spelled 'Coleman' inside the Fitzroy Square LWB, which is curious. I don't know if it's right of wrong on the box - I'm going to ask for more photos of other sides I think .

Thanks for your help!

Wheel of Fantastic

The earliest blue box edition has 'in association with Waddington Playing Card Co. Ltd' on the side of the lid and a yellow wreath around the World Dancer. This is the so called Blushing Fool deck; as far as I have been able to determine, this edition first went on sale in either December 1971 or early '72.

CharlotteK

The earliest blue box edition has 'in association with Waddington Playing Card Co. Ltd' on the side of the lid and a yellow wreath around the World Dancer. This is the so called Blushing Fool deck; as far as I have been able to determine, this edition first went on sale in either December 1971 or early '72.

Thank you :) I had the opportunity to get my mitts on a bona fide early edition so I did, and it has a blushing fool (thought it would be pinkish tinge on the cheek but it's more like a full neck and face heat rash 😛 ). The LWB has it as a 1972 edition. A 1971 edition would have been amazing as it's the year I was born but it's a lovely deck albeit fairly well worn.

Wheel of Fantastic

I was born in '71 as well so I do feel a strong connection to my yellow wreath RWS. I'm not sure if there are any versions with a 1971 date in the LWB; I think '72 is as early as you're going to get.

parsival

The 1971 A G Muller box also bears the interesting message : "Reissued with the collaboration of Miss Sybil Waite and the most careful comparison to the first edition".

CharlotteK

The 1971 A G Muller box also bears the interesting message : "Reissued with the collaboration of Miss Sybil Waite and the most careful comparison to the first edition".
That message is on the box I have, but no Waddingtons. Though the box is in pretty poor condition.