Which blue box version is earliest?

Wheel of Fantastic

The colours of the first and second editions are quite different so not sure how close that comparison was.

gregory

These threads give me such a lot of EXERCISE.

My two part lift top box one dated 1972 with the Waddingtons bit on the side has a measly fool and the tiny 3 Fitzroy LWB. It ALSO contains a PKT in the same size as the cards, with a note in the back of it that it used to be sold with the deck as standard but that it has to be ordered specially now, as they can't afford to put it in as standard.

My TRAVELLERS one - also Fitzroy - also has a measly fool and an even tinier LWB. Date is 1975.

I ALSO have the blue tuckbox version

http://www.manteia-online.dk/waite-smith/blue-box.htm

which has the bit about Sybil Waite on the box and says it is the ONLY authorised edition. It says it is the "second edition, 1971". And it TOO has a measly Fool.

CharlotteK

These threads give me such a lot of EXERCISE.

My two part lift top box one dated 1972 with the Waddingtons bit on the side has a measly fool and the tiny 3 Fitzroy LWB. It ALSO contains a PKT in the same size as the cards, with a note in the back of it that it used to be sold with the deck as standard but that it has to be ordered specially now, as they can't afford to put it in as standard.

My TRAVELLERS one - also Fitzroy - also has a measly fool and an even tinier LWB. Date is 1975.

I ALSO have the blue tuckbox version

http://www.manteia-online.dk/waite-smith/blue-box.htm

which has the bit about Sybil Waite on the box and says it is the ONLY authorised edition. It says it is the "second edition, 1971". And it TOO has a measly Fool.

Aha! Thanks. It's a measly fool tuckbox I have! It came with a LWB and a small blue book of the Keys to the Tarot.

gregory

Most people talking blue box refer to the two part box. The tuck box one came to me MUCH later, after someone here got one and came to ask what the heck is this ! The LWB in it refers to the card sized book, but doesn't mention that it always used to be supplied as standard as one of my other LWBs- the one in the full sized two part box, which has the book in there - and it doesn't REALLY fit ! - says.

CharlotteK

I guess the two part box is much more durable than the tuckbox. Mine is very fragile - one of the tucks isn't even attached to the box anymore and the other is hanging by a scrap. The cards are in good used condition and I'd like to read with then but handling the box would not be a good idea. The LWB and the blue 'Keys' book came separate to the box and I wouldn't attempt to cram either in there. There's a white panel on one of the tuck flaps that looks as though it may have had a number in it. I did read in that link you posted that the tuckbox was only used for a very short period of time. I wonder how many there are?

gregory

I never even thought about what the white panel was for. :)

In your place, if you want to use it (my box is well battered too) I'd take the deck out and keep it in a bag with the collapsed box ? Ye,s the two part box is lovely and solid.

CharlotteK

Yes good plan on the bag! I am going to make one for the deck this weekend and then very carefully place the collapsed box in a very safe place the 3yr old, husband and cat can't get to. I won't read with it a great deal, but it would be a shame not to use it at all. Just holding it I'm thinking of all the people that may have used it over the past 45 years to tell fortunes, seek support through difficult times, help friends etc. I've got a couple of decks from the 80s but this one seems very special.

Wheel of Fantastic

Please use the cards; that's what they're for and they are very durable. I use my 1972 vintage deck regularly and I have an inquisitive (and destructive) cat around!

CharlotteK

Gosh, this feels a bit like sharing proud pictures of my cat or child now, but here she is the beauty :)

3cddb6bc5b0f0d9448f02738b165b122.jpg

Wheel of Fantastic

This thread is the first time I have heard the first print run (the Blushing Fool deck) came in the tuck box as well as the lift off box.

My working theory is that Rider were experimenting with the packaging in the first year; obviously the 2 part box won in the end and later versions had the green wreath. This plus the fact the tuck box is so fragile may explain why the tuck box is now so rare.

Or, the tuck box came first but was then dumped in favour of the 2 part box. In which case, congratulations, you have the earliest of the early decks! I guess we'll never really know.