Three of Pentacles - Nightgown!?

telcontar

Hi there.

I think I've gone through all the threads in this category and haven't found the topic discussed anywhere. I hope I'm right on this :)

My daily draw was the Three of Coins today. I like this card but couldn't make a lot of sense of it right today. So I read it up and, though I drew it from another deck, became aware of the Rider Waite Card- has anyone ever wondered what the so-considered architect is wearing there? And why?? Neither Rachel Pollack nor Mrs. Kliegman seem very interested. I suddenly was.

Have no clear theory so far, but I think he makes a fool of himself in this clothes :)

Any ideas appreciated!

ambermoon

Liripipes are funny hoods, whether worn like this or in the very silly Renaissance way where the face opening goes on as a head opening, the tail of the hood wraps around, and the shoulder cape dangles over one ear.

I'm not familiar with seeing a long cape attached to a liripipe, as Coleman-Smith drew it. It usually has a shoulder cape attached, and would be worn with a tunic, hose, and perhaps another cloak if needed for warmth.

So, I don't know. Maybe it was a cold day in the unfinished cathdral, and she wanted the architect to keep warm.

telcontar

Hi ambermoon!

Thanks a lot for the word "liripipe"! Never heard it before. Now I could look it up and found this:

"Hoods like these were at first worn by academics as part of their formal dress"

http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-lir1.htm

So that's probably what makes him an architect at all- apart from the drawing in his hands. But the colors still startle me a little :)

cartarum

its all about the show in this card too, so something like that would fit

Fulgour

I see it this way, where the workman knows his job, but these two guys show up offering him unwanted, uneeded, and actually worthless advice. The workman is there for just a few finishing touches ~ he's even only just pulled up a bench to stand on, when here comes Brother Doodle and his frisky friend Binky. Neither of these guys knows squat about a blueprint, but here they are bugging this guy. Does he care, does he even step down to listen? No, staring down at them, with hammer poised in mid-air he waits for them to finish kibbitzing so he can do just exactly what he has intended to do all along.

PS: I LOVE THIS CARD

Chronata

Fulgour said:
I see it this way, where the workman knows his job, but these two guys show up offering him unwanted, uneeded, and actually worthless advice. The workman is there for just a few finishing touches ~ he's even only just pulled up a bench to stand on, when here comes Brother Doodle and his frisky friend Binky. Neither of these guys knows squat about a blueprint, but here they are bugging this guy. Does he care, does he even step down to listen? No, staring down at them, with hammer poised in mid-air he waits for them to finish kibbitzing so he can do just exactly what he has intended to do all along.

LOL! Thank you Fulgour! :D
What a brilliant new take on one of my favorite cards!
This is very funny! And as an artist who has done comission work before...oh so true!

telcontar

Wow, that gave me a new way to look at that card! I always thought they were working together to create a masterpiece, but you can look at it from this point of view just as well. Great.

Thanks a lot. You've opened me another perspective of this card!

:)

lark

Fulgour said:

PS: I LOVE THIS CARD
Fulgour exactly how I see this card too.
My husband is a carpenter so he puts up with Brother Doodle and Binky all day.
Brother Doodle and Binky also like to give loads of compliments too.
They think it will help them get that extra mile out of the master carpenter.
"Oh," says Brother Doodle " that looks just beautiful, wonderful, just lovely, now if you could just....."
Binky.."Oh that's amazing! Could you put one just like that on the new dog house outside?"
Nothing is ever enough.
And the more you accomodate them the more they want.
And you're right you just listen politely, but then you finish it just the way it needs to be done, because a true craftsman doesn't compomise his art.

Centaur

Perhaps the gown-wearing man is still in his bed-clothes? LOL. He has been working his ass off so hard, that he has stopped getting changed and is straight out of bed, and into work!! Haha.

Penelope

thanks Centaur ~ Haha!

Centaur said:
Perhaps the gown-wearing man is still
in his bed-clothes? LOL. ...Haha.
Maybe he's the nextdoor neighbour, complaining about all the noise!

:laugh: