Tarot Spread Survey

ArwenNightstar

Ok, in the hopes of generating another article for either the ATA Quarterly or the ATA Tarot Reflections, I have the following questions for y'all. This is for those that read with spreads. For those of you who don't read with spreads, I'll try to do another survey.

1. What spread do you use the most?
2. How many spreads do you know by heart?
3. Do you think it is important to have a variety of spreads for reading?
4. If you read for others, do you have spreads you only use for yourself? spreads you only use for others?
5. What is the most useful spread you have?
6. What defines a useful spread for you?
7. Where do you go to find new spreads?

Sophie

ArwenNightstar said:
Ok, in the hopes of generating another article for either the ATA Quarterly or the ATA Tarot Reflections, I have the following questions for y'all. This is for those that read with spreads. For those of you who don't read with spreads, I'll try to do another survey.

No spread - free-form conversation with question and answer.

About 15

Not really unless you only work with spreads. It's like cooking from recipes - if you only ever cook from a recipe, better have a few handy. If not, a few stalwarts as back-ups and useful starting points are good.

4. If you read for others, do you have spreads you only use for yourself? spreads you only use for others?

No. But I do like to make up spreads to fit the person I am reading for and their question.

The free-form conversational style question and answer ;). In actual spreads... the 3-card flexy-spread, which can be expanded as much as you want in multiple of 3s. Other than that, the 7-card horseshoe and Joan Bunning's Yin-yang relationship spread.

Set positions for the cards, and something like a pattern.

My own head, books, tarot forums.

Alpha-Omega

Most of the time I make custom spreads for my clients.
The types would fall under Relationships mostly.

I know the Celtic Cross, but I dont use it. Other than that I have spreads in books I have bought and written down the ones I like that I see online.

Yes

No

Depends on the issue.

A useful spread is a spread that can answer all questions asked and the questions that are not. A spread should inighten and teach the client somthing.

Here of course!

Gayla

3 card - yes, no, maybe. Mainly because I read for the FTN and most of the questions are yes, no, maybe oriented.

5 to 10

yes...spreads are the essence of using tarot

4. If you read for others, do you have spreads you only use for yourself?

no
spreads you only use for others?

no

I think the Celtic Cross is the most classic and useful spread ever developed.

It has a defined focus and the cards are laid out in a reasonable, logic arrangement to develop options or draw the answers to the question from within the querent's subconsious. Also, not less than 3 but no more than 12 cards. When I develop a spread I try to keep it between 5 to 10 cards. I, personally, don't find large spreads using whole decks useful.

I develop my own or look it up on the internet.

ArwenNightstar

Thank you for your input! I really appreciate the support!

MoonLitCrystal

ArwenNightstar said:

I think I can answer most of these questions by stating that I work best when I make up my own spread. That means that I take the question, think about the important points of it, and designate different cards to represent an aspect of the question. So there are no spreads that I use the most, I do not know any particular spreads by heart, I do not have a most useful spread, and I don't have spreads that I only use for certain people :)

Of course I would think that it is important for me to make up a variety of different spreads. I feel that since every question is unique, every question should get a spread that is taylored to it. Granted, some spreads have certain designations in common (for example, if I am doing a relationship reading it will most likely include cards for how each person feels about the other and cards for what each person wants out of the relationship). Most of my spreads also include an advice card. Then again, these cards are in no set position within the spread.

To me, a useful spread is a spread that adequately assesses the person's question. It does not just give a yes/no answer, but it explores the hows, whys, and even some different options that the person has.

I do come here to AT to find new ideas about threads, but I don't take spreads directly from here anymore. (I used to when I was brand new to Tarot.)

I hope that answers all of your questions! :)

Gavriela

Elemental Array
About 20.
No - the fewer the better, as a rule.
Nope
Elemental Array
One that gives the client information that is true, useful, and surprising.
If I need one, I'll usually make it up.

Mi-Shell

Grandmother Spider , Bear Cave Healing, Healing the Heart and a couple of others

~~20
It is important to read the cards and the client and sometimes spreads can hamper that and need to be adjusted to what is needed

4. If you read for others, do you have spreads you only use for yourself? yes
spreads you only use for others? no
5. What is the most useful spread you have? the above mentioned one and several that I made up to get to the root of a problem or differentate between choices

That it will provide helpfull answers / suggestions to the client but not confuse him / her or be too long and over-extends their attention span

I create them or adapt existing ones to speciffic needs

Azarial

Most of the time I don't use spreads. I draw three cards with now positional meaning.

None since I stopped using spreads most of the time.

Only if you feel the situation calls for one, or if you read better with a spread.

No I don't

None

One that answers all possible questions surrounding the situation.

When I use a spread, I look here or I make up my own spread.

Formicida

Probably some variation on the three-card.

5-10

I generally make up a spread to suit the reading. So yes, in a sense it's useful to have a variety, but I don't feel it's helpful to me to have them "armed and ready," if you will.

Not specifically. I don't typically ask, say, relationship questions for myself, so in that sense a relationship spread would be used only for others, but not because it's a spread for others.

Three-card, with its infinite flexibility.

The one characteristic that I want in a spread that I don't see others wanting a lot is some relationship between the positions and the meanings associated with them. If there's a subconscious factors position, for example, I like to see it at the bottom, and so forth. The Celtic Cross really excels at this, in my mind, although I don't often use it because it's so long. Other than that, I just want a spread that will provide the right information to answer the question at hand.

As I said, I usually make them up. Many on the forum or in books are too gimmicky for me. I have found some good ones, but since I'm perfectly capable of making up my own I usually don't look to hard for others.