Review: Looking at the Marseilles Tarot by Enrique Enriquez

Foucault

Review: Looking at the Marseilles Tarot by Enrique Enriquez

Before I start, I should point out that I approach this review as someone who has tried numerous times over the years to learn to read the Tarot. Every time I have failed, because most methods rely on having to learn predefined card meanings, and that approach just did not work for me. Thus, the blurb from the publisher, Minds Eye View for Looking at the Marseilles Tarot – Notes on Tarot’s Optical Language by Enrique Enriquez, intrigued me:

If you've avoided learning a Tarot system because "there's too much to memorize", you'll find yourself pleasantly surprised when you discover that you can start almost immediately, using the simple approach Enrique lays out for you in this easy-to-read and entertaining e-book.

This 33-page e-book is actually the lecture notes from a class that Enrique teaches. I will get my negative comments out of the way first: I did not find this book “easy-to-read”, at least not at first. While I could get a sense that there was some great information within its pages, its somewhat academic language almost scared me off prematurely. I ended up sending an e-mail to Enrique explaining my difficulties and asking for some help, and this started a little flurry of e-mails between the two of us. Enrique, so generous with his valuable time, calmed my anxiety with a little series of exercises that got me off to a fantastic start. Please do not let my problem, or this description of it, put you off buying the book. To me, it has been a revelation.

Briefly, Enrique’s approach to reading the Tarot involves forgetting about those canned descriptions and meanings that comprise most books on the subject, and using the images on the cards themselves to create a narrative we can apply to the particular situation in which we are interested.

To do this, Enrique recommends using the Tarot de Marseille, and more specifically, the Jean Noblet Tarot, an early Marseille type tarot (although I have been successfully using a more modern Fournier Marseille deck). The reason, Enrique explains, is that the Marseille tarots are free of the layers of imagery that have been added by more recent authors to ensure copyright or to push personal theories. While you could use any tarot deck, a Marseille-style tarot works particularly well for Enrique’s approach.

Don't be concerned by the fact that the Minor Arcana in such a deck is free of the type of unambiguous images that appear in a deck such as the Rider-Waite. Enrique explains that this can work in our favor, and with a bit of work we can still find meanings in the seemingly abstract nature of these cards. This can be done at a later stage, however; we can start using the cards from the Major Arcana right away to give readings, and work on the Minor Arcana if and when it feels right. I have to say that I did not find this stressed in the book; correspondence with Enrique made this point clear for me.

Using a “traditional” tarot course, one has to learn a set of “meanings” for each card before even thinking about doing a reading. Either that or you have to keep consulting a book while doing a reading. With an understanding of the common-sense approach described in this book, you could start with readings almost immediately.

I would describe this book as good for complete beginners, for those who are frustrated with trying to learn card-meanings and those who want to try a radically different approach to tarot readings. I think it would be more useful to beginners if Enrique added a supplement to this book to include some general advice about the process of performing readings, although the book does contain some examples of readings. He could almost add the content of our recent e-mails!

Obtain Looking at the Marseilles Tarot by Enrique Enriquez from http://www.mindseyeview.com/marseilles-tarot.html right now at an introductory price of $20

Bonnie

Reading with the Marseilles Tarot

Foucault:

I saw a post elsewhere on Enrique's work, and had to check it out for myself. :) Since researching the Marseilles Tarot is part of my work/studies right now, it fell right into place.

I feel, needless to say, that Enrique's work has merit. I was also very happy that the deck used was the Jean Noblet Tarot, as the refreshed version (by Jean-Claude Flornoy) was something that crossed my path this past year.

This is one of those things that, each time I reread the pages, somethign new pops out!

Enjoy the journey!

Blessings,
Bonnie

Foucault

Thanks for your comments, Bonnie. Who would've thought there was so much good stuff to find in a 33-page e-book! Since Enrique helped me get over my initial mental block with the book, I have been off to a great start. As you say, there is new fruit to discover each time you open the book.

Graham.

Bonnie

Price versus pages

Graham:

Price versus pages gave me a small pause ... a very small pause, because onth e forums Enrique is very well spoken, and spoken of very well. Once I saw the material ... I knew that I had made the right decision. :)

Blessings,
Bonnie

Foucault

I also recently heard that initially, Enrique had aimed to distill everything he had to teach into 10 pages! What he wrote was way more than the current 33 pages, and he decided to cut out anything that had to do with his own interpretations of cards, since he did not believe that was useful. I think he got it just about right, although, as I said before, I think that a small section aimed specifically at the beginner with some advice about the process of giving readings would have been good. I know this information can be found elsewhere, but his book would have become a completely self-contained resource.

Graham.

Flavio

Got the book last week! obviously I couldn´t put it down, until I finished it, excelent and really useful information, I've been studying TdM since last year without much success, this ebook is helping me to give a new direction to my studies with fresh eyes and attitude towards the cards.

minotaur

I too have this.

There is a human tendency to associate value with a lump so one thinks that if a book doesn't have many pages it has less value.

The other posts in this thread, and my own here, suggest that this isn't always true.

It is a very nice, very practical method to read the tarot that can be transferred to any deck. This teaches you how to read the tarot like most of us have always wished they could...intuitively.

This is the best twenty bucks I have ever spent on tarot...I can now read tarot how I have always felt it should be read.

jean bosco

Hi all,

I wanted to buy this book on the website: http://www.mindseyeview.com/marseilles-tarot.html with paypal. But it only works with credit card. So it won't work for me (or maybe I should finally get a cc...)

I didn't find a different source where I could order the ebook.
Does anybody know another website that offers this ebook?

I also searched the forum and found the Marseilles Seekers thread. Awesome!
THX

strings of life

I just purchased this eBook after finally reading most of his his latest book, Tarology. At times, I felt Tarology different to digest and found myself browsing certain sections, but I'm hoping I can take advantage of the lessons from these lecture notes.

Has anyone else read Looking at the Marseilles Tarot by Enrique Enriquez lately?

strings of life

I am thrilled with this book and am so glad I decided to purchase it, even if it is eBook only. I just browsed the contents and can see that it is a bit easier to read than the latter.

I have a long flight coming up and will be diving right in!

More thorough review after I read it.