Intentionally I had only two subcollections:

historical
black&white

But while I bought decks I like, there have evolved a few additional:

cats
decks by Beth Seilonen
surrealistic decks

Aeric

I don't have subcollections; I have a deck for each aspect of my life or a perspective which favours the subject of my inquiry.

When I used to be a collector, I grouped by historical and religious themes. But over time I naturally I found myself working with some decks more than others. Practically, rather than leave the others on the shelf or in the closet to gather dust, I let them go. If they weren't going to be used, I didn't want to own them anymore. Most of them now have better homes with friends who use them, and the ones left are ragged and faded with love and use.

However, my remaining decks are definitely divided by the spiritual and the mundane. The spiritual ones I use for guidance with exceptionally painful, burning questions about how I should view the world and whether I'm really following my heart. The mundane decks are guidance for how I interact with others and how my personal philosophies and views are channelled to practical ends.

Naturally there is a lot of overlap, and sometimes I'll just grab one at random because I'm in the mood for it. But I try to value each for what it gives.

Nemia

*blowing the dust off this old but fascinating topic*

As my collection slowly grows, I find that subcollections form whether I planned it to or not.

My subcollections:
animal and nature without humans
stars and constellations
Thoth and kabbalah
Christianity and saints
Renaissance-themed
collage decks

AJ

It was fun to read these posts again thanks

baconwaffles

*blowing the dust off this old but fascinating topic*

As my collection slowly grows, I find that subcollections form whether I planned it to or not.

My subcollections:
animal and nature without humans
stars and constellations
Thoth and kabbalah
Christianity and saints
Renaissance-themed
collage decks
I hope this question isn't too out of place in this thread, but I got curoius, what decks have saints besides the oop robert place one and any of the doreen virtues stuff? It's lots of fun reading everyone's input.

Scarlet Woodland

I definitely have recurring themes in my collection but in my head I only divide up into these subcollections:

1] RWS
2] Thoth
3] Marseilles
4] What the hell?

What the hell, is becoming ever more populous :D

That said, I do have every deck illustrated by Will Worthington and Ravynne Phelan, so those are lil subcollections.

Nemia

I hope this question isn't too out of place in this thread, but I got curoius, what decks have saints besides the oop robert place one and any of the doreen virtues stuff? It's lots of fun reading everyone's input.

Doreen Virtue?! No Doreen Virtue in this house :)

In the Saints & Christianity subcollection, I have of course Robert Place's two decks (Saints and Angels), Voices of Saints, Grail Tarot, Cathar Tarot, Byzantine Tarot, and Golden Tarot of the Tsar.

baconwaffles

Doreen Virtue?! No Doreen Virtue in this house :)

In the Saints & Christianity subcollection, I have of course Robert Place's two decks (Saints and Angels), Voices of Saints, Grail Tarot, Cathar Tarot, Byzantine Tarot, and Golden Tarot of the Tsar.
Hahaha well, you know some people like her decks.
Hmm, I am going to look into those you mention. I would love to get a hold of RP's saints tarot but that is oop and I am scared of the price so I haven't looked into it. The other ones I haven't looked at so I will check them out. Thank you!

lantana

It's probably because my collection is both small and widely diverse, but I can only think of two sub-collections: Queer Decks (plus decks with LGBT creators) and Animal decks.

The first is definitely on purpose, though I don't try to buy every single one out there (No interest for the Gay Tarot or that one collaborative majors only one, for instance.) I would love to have some "historical" queer decks in my collection like the Collective Tarot and the Thea's Tarot one day.

The second is just a happenstance because I love animals and there's just, so many. I keep telling myself I don't need anymore and they find their way in anyway...