The Writhing Dark: Eldritch Tarot

Shade

Wow! Some people have no shame with the "poor me" routine. I can't believe dude was carrying on like that when he raised 116k for a tarot deck and never delivered it

Oh I quite agree. "Poor me" buys you some extra time to be sure; I think most of us are pretty understanding about that but it doesn't absolve you of all responsibility.

G6

Oh I quite agree. "Poor me" buys you some extra time to be sure; I think most of us are pretty understanding about that but it doesn't absolve you of all responsibility.

Oh I quite agree. Crisis King is not a good look. He must be from a different generation.

The only thing that stopped that guy at work I mentioned was when the woman that hired him got replaced. Her replacement (that had been at the company the whole time) kicked Mr. "Poor Me" to the curb with glee and told him he would never work for that company or any of their affiliates, so some justice was served after a year or more of not showing up to work and sending "poor me" email blasts to everyone.

In these instances nothing will happen unless someone forces this guy to give the money back. In all sincerity, everyone that paid should band together and take legal action against Mr. "Poor Me" and Kickstarter. Kickstarter is equally to blame if they have no policy in place to refund money for pledge deliverables that were never received.

gregory

When you back a crowdfunded project, you know you are taking a risk. It's like buying shares in a company that later goes bust. You lose. I have backed MANY, and only two have totally failed (assuming this one has.) The thing I avoid is the ones that are flexibly funded (indiegogo) where the money is paid over as it is collected; someone starts on a project, but it never makes it to the finish and so the creator hasn't the money to complete. KS at least you don't get any money unless you hit your target.

https://www.kickstarter.com/terms-of-use

The creator is solely responsible for fulfilling the promises made in their project. If they’re unable to satisfy the terms of this agreement, they may be subject to legal action by backers.
Kickstarter doesn’t offer refunds. Responsibility for finishing a project lies entirely with the project creator. Kickstarter doesn’t hold funds on creators’ behalf, cannot guarantee creators’ work, and does not offer refunds.

There is a group of people going after Shane, actually. Personally, mine was a small pledge, and I can't be bothered to put in the work.

G6

When you back a crowdfunded project, you know you are taking a risk. It's like buying shares in a company that later goes bust. You lose. I have backed MANY, and only two have totally failed (assuming this one has.) The thing I avoid is the ones that are flexibly funded (indiegogo) where the money is paid over as it is collected; someone starts on a project, but it never makes it to the finish and so the creator hasn't the money to complete. KS at least you don't get any money unless you hit your target.

https://www.kickstarter.com/terms-of-use

There is a group of people going after Shane, actually. Personally, mine was a small pledge, and I can't be bothered to put in the work.

Good to know, Gregory. Since Kickstarter's official policy is tough luck, as I said before, I would NEVER fund a project on one of these crowdfunding sites.

I wish the folks involved in this lawsuit the best and that you get a positive resolution with speed. In the long run you are also providing a valuable lesson and opportunity for personal growth to the deck creator.

✌🏻

G6

Shade

When you back a crowdfunded project, you know you are taking a risk.

To a certain extent. It is true that you are investing in something rather than pre-ordering something. What is a problem is when the campaign has misleading information or the funds are used in a way that is not stipulated in the campaign. As an example, in another Tarot deck campaign the designer claimed the images were completely finished and all that was left to be done was to print them. Afterward, it turned out that almost all of the funds were spent on getting designers via Fiverr to create additional work. If backers had known the funds were headed there rather than to pay the printers, there probably would have been fewer backers.

From the two posts made by the Writhing Dark designer it seems like the problem with the funds were:

- They did not adequately calculate the taxes that would be taken out and set the campaign goal too low. This happens a lot but it really shouldn't anymore, when the first few campaigners learned this you would think people would catch on.

- There seems to have been a problem with a shipment of the cards not being delivered from China. That sounds possible and I could believe it if the designer hadn't proven untrustworthy elsewhere (promising people things had been shipped when they had not).

- It seems like the funds from the campaign were used to pay for his family's expenses. I could be misreading that It's reasonable that the entire campaign seems to have been created as an income stream for his family but hey were meant to have the profits, not the money for printing the decks.

Caveat emptor to be sure but it behooves Kickstarter to create and enforce guidelines for creators so that we backers keep on backing and paying Kickstarter their cut of each campaign.