Scholarly books about tarot

Zephyros

If anyone's interested in semiotics, Umberto Eco has a pair of books that might be of interest

On Beauty

and

On Ugliness.

Again, not about Tarot, but in the ballpark.

Zephyros

The main problem with Wang's Qabalistic Tarot might be that it lacks the objectivity that would qualify it to be called scholarly from an academic perspective. It was written by a believer.

True, but aside from strict history books, I doubt any book about Tarot can be called scholarly, but it depends on the discipline. Something like Aleister Crowley's Book of Thoth is certainly very erudite and well-researched, but can be called a scholarly treatise only if the discipline is something fairly fuzzy like philosophy.

I suppose that Tarot books can only be "almost, but not quite" scholarly.

Incidentally, I recommend the Book of Thoth. I think it is the most complete and well-rounded work on Tarot symbolism ever written. It deals not only in Thelemic specifics, but in general Tarot lore. There are very few things it does go (exhaustingly) into.

foolMoon

A Practical Guide to Qabalistic Symbolism by G. Knight

I am reading this book. Although it is not 100% Tarot based book, it covers Tarot topics in parts of the book. I find it scholastic and interesting.

Teheuti

The well-illustrated anthology, Tarot in Culture (in two volumes) stands out as one of the most scholarly of the recent books (finally out this year)! I highly recommend it. The essays explore the history and evolution of the Tarot deck and Tarot culture with the focus on divinatory/occult/psycho-spiritual Tarot rather than the game (although it's covered, too). The editor, Emily E. Auger, maintained the highest standards for a scholarly approach.

Stuart Kaplan, who just got his copy of the book, called me yesterday to let me know he really appreciated the work that went into my "Tarot Timeline from 1750-1980" (high praise, indeed). If you want to determine the sequence of events, decks and books that went into the development of modern occult Tarot, then I think I've annotated most of them (Vol 1). And don't miss my "Iconographic History of the Lovers Card" in Vol. 2.

Although it is available as an ebook, I highly recommend getting either a hardcover or paperback edition. Information and links to the various versions are here, including the table of contents:
http://emilyeauger.weebly.com/tarot-in-culture.html

Minotauro

True, but aside from strict history books, I doubt any book about Tarot can be called scholarly, but it depends on the discipline. Something like Aleister Crowley's Book of Thoth is certainly very erudite and well-researched, but can be called a scholarly treatise only if the discipline is something fairly fuzzy like philosophy.

I suppose that Tarot books can only be "almost, but not quite" scholarly.

Incidentally, I recommend the Book of Thoth. I think it is the most complete and well-rounded work on Tarot symbolism ever written. It deals not only in Thelemic specifics, but in general Tarot lore. There are very few things it does go (exhaustingly) into.

well this is for a visual arts project, so that isnt a problem. and even though a " believers" point of view could be acceptable , as would be the case with any paper about religious art for example, I really preffer to leave that can of worms aside and focus on other topics as I want something that could be interesting and valuable for people even if they dont believe in tarot.

but I wont dismiss any book on that basis.

Minotauro

Definitely check out the Table of Contents for the Tarot in Culture anthology.

yeah I had not heard about tat books but it sounds amazing and seems to cover a wide varierty of topics about tarot that I am interested in. it seems absolutely amazing. I wanted to make my thesis on tarot and I wants sure if it was gonna be possible , but with all the books that have been listed and with " tarot in culture" Im now confident I'll be able to do it, and now I have time to start reading before I actually have to start my thesis in a couple of years :p

Winterchild

Tarot in Culture is great... A collection of essays that are written by various thinkers who have all become caught up in the Tarot. There is plenty out there .... For a thesis you can easily tie it in with other more generally accepted scholars and philosophers. It is so big...