"Guy" Decks?

Barleywine

I occasionally read for a handful of men (not exactly the "Joe Six-pack" type, but not quite the "snifter of brandy in the drawing room after dinner" type either) who don't have much use for the more mystical or fanciful side of tarot art, but who wouldn't know what to make of the few gay-male tarot decks out there either (which I don't own anyway, unless the Pythagorean qualifies). They are perfect candidates for Lenormand but many of the spreads I create are "tarot-centric."

I was reading for one such yesterday and realized that the Tarot of the Sevenfold Mystery has a certain almost-Gothic directness and "authority" about it that is well suited for this mindset. I also frequently use an RWS deck for this group, but I'm looking for options that are more interesting for me as well. Does anyone have particular non-RWS or non-slavish clone decks they use when reading for the "centrist" kind of male? Of course, TdM decks would work quite well too if I were better at reading the pip cards.

decan

The Tarot of the Sevenfold Mystery is very nice, elegant but sober. Robert Place artwork has a "masculine touch" in my opinion.
I have it; well, I didn't use it until now but maybe I'm wrong, it is a nice deck (more accessible than the Alchemical, for me!)

The RWS is okay as a "guy" deck. Sober and classical!
The Lenormand is classical, not always so "masculine", but not fancy.

I looked at my dictionary what is a "Joe Six-pack" type; okay I see :)
Well, any sober deck can do the trick!

ETA: the Morgan Greer Tarot can fit as well.

Spiffo

I've found that blokes respond really well to the Tabula Mundi.

It's a great question though; many of the contemporary decks are fem. I'll be interested in what other answers you get.

Barleywine

I've found that blokes respond really well to the Tabula Mundi.

It's a great question though; many of the contemporary decks are fem. I'll be interested in what other answers you get.

Excellent idea, and it's one I already have. :)

Barleywine

Thanks for the link. Gender-neutral is a bit broader than I was after, but I see the subject has been touched on. Deviant Moon might work well, although it's a bit "odd" for many tastes. English Magic, Druidcraft and Modern Spellcaster's also sound good, and I have all of those as well. There is always the Thoth, but I want something a bit fresher since it's been my main deck since 1972.

G6

My "Guy" Decks

Since this question gets asked so often I think it would be interesting for everyone to gender identify their deck collection. If I had to do so these would be my "Guy" decks.

Arcus Arcanum
Tarot of Durer
Alchemical
Tarot of Sevenfold Mystery
Golden Universal
Rohrig
Hermetic
Thoth
All RWS
Buckland Romani
Tarot Swietlistej Drogi
Prarie Tarot
Zircus Magi
Tarot of Pirates
Norse Tarot
Arthurian Tarot
The Grail Tarot
Celtic Tarot (Davis)
Morgan Greer
Deviant Moon
Trionfi Della Luna
Afro-Brazilian Tarot
New Orleans Voodoo Tarot
Dark Grimoire Tarot
Vampire Tarot (Place)

Sibylline

Since you're a Thoth reader, have you considered the Cosmic Tarot? I'm not sure whether the occasional Golden Age actors on the cards would be to your taste, but I find that the deck leans into Thoth territory.

Sun and Moon Tarot: I consider this one "Thoth-lite." Thoth keywords on the cards and a reimagining of the Thoth pips. I find it's more of a blend between Thoth and RWS. It might be too cute for some. I've had great success reading on this one for male and female clients.

Rohrig Tarot: Another one that leans Thoth. Legit Spanish versions are still available.

Light and Shadow Tarot: Even gender split and contains some Thoth symbolism that you will be very familiar with. Plus, Brian Williams wrote the guidebook. Cards are large, but they needed to be to accommodate the art.

Sherlock Holmes Tarot: I know it sounds hokey, but most cards feature men, and I find it reads really well for the kind of male clients you describe.

Quantum Tarot 2.0: many cards don't feature people and, when they do, their faces tend to be in shadow.

Let us know what you decide, for I've been thinking about decks for male clients as well.