Alchemy 1977 England Tarot

LadyDeborah

I got this deck a while ago. I didn't look at it much until recently. First of all, I ordered it without doing much research on it which I normally do. So, that part is no ones fault but my own. It's not at all what I was expecting though. I'm not sure if its for me. I have several dark decks, so that's not the issue. I also collect crystal skulls so that sure isn't the issue either. I can't figure out what it is I'm not crazy about when it comes to these cards. I'll keep them and add them to the collection, but I doubt I would ever use them for a reading. You never know, though. I never say never. :)

Elendil

The problem I have with this deck is that the images on those cards which are fully illustrated (as opposed to the 'stripped down' pips) are very small. As seems to be standard for Fournier decks the cards are themselves smaller anyway... I find that I am missing many details because I just can't make them out...

Laura Borealis

And no wonder the detail is lost -- some (if not all) of the art was intended to be viewed at a much larger size, like t-shirts, posters, etc.

For instance - the one they used for the World, the ying-yang Reaper/Angel - I've seen that as t-shirts, posters, wall hangings, etc. It was also in the playing card deck I used to have, mentioned earlier in the thread. They've used it as a jewelry design as well. Just do a search for "Versus Doctrinus" and you'll find it all over.

That's part of what I don't care for about this deck -- all the recycled imagery. I don't mind that with oracles (like Froud's faerie decks) but with tarot it feels a little cheesy.

Attachments

• alchemy gothic tarot.jpg
    alchemy gothic tarot.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 187

Le Fanu

But there's always going to be people (like me!) who aren't into the whole gothy/skulls/T-shirts and calendar culture who simply don't know the illustrations.

I have this deck and had no idea the images were recycled. I don't mind it at all. I'd rather have good quality recycled stuff than crappy new stuff tbh. Not that this skull/reaper/gaming style stuff is my favourite type of illustration (or that this deck is my favourite), but I think this deck is starting to be disliked and I see far worse around...

Laura Borealis

Certainly. :) I am only speaking of my own preference with the recycled art thing. And like I said, it doesn't bother me with oracles like the Faeries. I don't know why it does with tarot.

I feel compelled to say that I am not into that "whole gothy/skulls/T-shirts and calendar culture" either :D but I used to look at the Alchemy Gothic website a lot because of their jewelry, some of which is just stunning! Too fancy for me, but stunning.

Chiska

I don't think of it as recycled so much as an advertising medium for the company. I mean, it is from Alchemy Gothic. If Nike were to put out a tarot deck, I would assume it would be pictures of Nike Brand Shoes and nothing really original. I mean, how many people (like myself) had never heard of Alchemy Gothic before this deck?? How many of those people went on and purchased something from Alchemy Gothic? (I haven't, but just sayin')

Le Fanu

I don't think of it as recycled so much as an advertising medium for the company. I mean, it is from Alchemy Gothic. If Nike were to put out a tarot deck, I would assume it would be pictures of Nike Brand Shoes and nothing really original. I mean, how many people (like myself) had never heard of Alchemy Gothic before this deck?? How many of those people went on and purchased something from Alchemy Gothic? (I haven't, but just sayin')
A surreal thought. A Nike Tarot. OK I'll come clean; what is this Alchemy Gothic? Is it a brand? A designer? Do they do T-Shirts and Calendars and stuff? I mean, what's the point of it?

I never quite got the concept. I bought the tarot deck because I like tarot but I have a hunch it is something bigger than tarot.

Chiska

A surreal thought. A Nike Tarot. OK I'll come clean; what is this Alchemy Gothic? Is it a brand? A designer? Do they do T-Shirts and Calendars and stuff? I mean, what's the point of it?

I never quite got the concept. I bought the tarot deck because I like tarot but I have a hunch it is something bigger than tarot.

I had no clue either - until I got the Fournier deck in a trade - so, I checked out Google and found link. It mentioned that "Alchemy of England was established in 1977 and has become an iconic brand." So I checked them out. Alchemy of England has a website and I clicked the About Us link and was like, "oh!! its a marketing thing!!"

So, then it started being mentioned on the forum, Llewellyn? got involved and now everybody has one.

Laura Borealis

I linked Alchemy Gothic in one of the first posts in the thread. I also said that I had a playing card deck with a lot of the same art (i.e. recycled). I guess early posts get forgotten. :p

Morwenna

All I know is, I liked the images I saw, and have done so for some time; and I just got it yesterday and haven't even opened it yet. But I think it's going to be a fave come October.

Marketing doesn't bother me, if I like what's being marketed for its own sake.