Beautiful Creatures Tarot!

Le Fanu

It makes me question how many of the multiple emotions and moods in tarot can be conveyed by large watery eyes looking upwards into the light.

MagsStardustBlack

Very samey samey. Lovely colour palette and tones though.

The other thing that bugs me is the deck is a collection of her art Is it not? So not specifically painted with tarot intentions. Just bothers me.

Metafizzypop

7 of Earths clearly Salvador Dali inspired. I'm unsure with this deck, need to see more cards.

I bet the others cards are going to look familiar, too. I noticed the Dali influence on the 7 of Earths. But the 2 of Waters has an outside influence, too. It's based on the Jan Van Eyck portrait of The Arnolfini Marriage.

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/jan-van-eyck-the-arnolfini-portrait

It's a pretty famous painting. Becket-Griffith does change some details -- the dog looks different, the man was given a bird's face -- but it's obviously the Van Eyck painting.

I'm not impressed. I'd like to see some originality in a tarot deck.

MagsStardustBlack

I bet the others cards are going to look familiar, too. I noticed the Dali influence on the 7 of Earths. But the 2 of Waters has an outside influence, too. It's based on the Jan Van Eyck portrait of The Arnolfini Marriage.

It's a pretty famous painting. Becket-Griffith does change some details -- the dog is now a cat, the man was given a bird's face -- but it's obviously the Van Eyck painting.

I think it is because this deck is simply a collection of her old and current paintings. The publisher asked her too bring them together for a tarot deck. So for me this is a non-tarot tarot sadly.

Miss Divine

I just cancelled these too after taking another look on their FB page. There is a newer picture with more pictures displayed. From what I can see, most of them are portraits. I find that very boring. And for some reason I don't like how the borders are done at all. :( My gosh, I am becoming terribly picky.

Curious Dragon

It's a pretty famous painting. Becket-Griffith does change some details -- the dog looks different, the man was given a bird's face -- but it's obviously the Van Eyck painting.

The bird face looks like a medieval plague doctor's mask. Strange choice for the 2 of Cups.

Owl Song

I also cancelled my pre-order for this one. I think I want to see more cards first, after all.

tarotbear

yuck

Is this 'The Big Eyes' Tarot .... the three images I saw were a total turn-off for me. Not fond of children or dewy-eyed, gooey-eyed children's portraiture .... cute for cutesy-sake.

I think I'll take another look at the New Orleans Voodoo Tarot after viewing this one ....

3ill.yazi

This is making me wish for a true Big Eyes Tarot. ---namely Keane. Maybe the new biopic will attract interest in that...

Laura Borealis

Keane is a Jehovah's Witness, I doubt she would be interested in painting a tarot deck. And I like her stuff, but it's rather samey-samey too. Big eyed children looking sad, or with her recent work, often happy, but not a lot of variation.

And I like Jasmine Becket-Griffith, though there are other artists in the genre I like more, and I don't feel the need for this deck (I already have a book she coauthored, which is enough for me). However the deck seems to me to be a nice way to collect 78 reproductions of her art in one small package, which would be worth it to a true fan I'm sure. To be honest I feel the same way about a lot of artist decks, like Brian Froud's oracles. I bought them mainly because I like the art and I don't mind that most of it was preexisting work.

I wish Becket-Griffith the best with her tarot. :)