2009 Llewellyn deck, Wizards Tarot

Debra

Try it with the sound off. It's less Hogwarts-ish that way.

I feel the same way about the Moon card as Thor.

thorhammer

Debra said:
Try it with the sound off. It's less Hogwarts-ish that way.
Ah . . . just got up. Didn't think of that *smacks head*

\m/ Kat

magpie9

Well, I like it, and if the minors are OK, will probably buy it. It'll probably be very popular and may get some Potter fans into Tarot, which is not altogether a bad thing. I don't find it all that fluffy thus far-- it seems to have some substance to it. I like the magical school concept, and am amazed that Rowlings et al haven't come up with a tarot in all this time. I'd call this their loss. There certainly is a market for it, and "lightweight' decks like this can and do subsidize the 'serious' decks we respect.

It's been my experience that some of the fluffiest looking decks can and do give drop-dead accurate and blunt readings. So I'm not condemning it from what I've seen of it so far.

divinest

The only thing, in my opinion, that made it "Harry Potter" like was the names, and while I would buy the deck regardless, the whole "Professor of Transfiguration" etc thing would put a couple of friends of mine off the deck big time.

AJ

ditto what Scion said, which also explains why I haven't heard of it before running across it today blog hopping. (the name change)

This deck does have some more mature figure majors, but my complaint with so many many decks and the women in this one is the majors look about 18 and oh so perky. I know some smart savvy young people but could I ever see them as a serious Major character? With many lessons to impart? Never. You have to know about life before you can even begin to teach it to someone else. If that hurts any of our valued AT members feelings I apologize for that, but I'm entitled to my opinion. And that opinion isn't based on my own age but my own life lessons and teachers.

And those smooth perky to the point of T&A personages are why I've traded away so many decks. Including the Fey which is a great example of what I don't like in a deck.

I know the minute I hit submit reply I'll think of a way this could be better worded but what the hell, let the chips fall where they may.

Owl Song

This deck was definitely inspired to the Harry Potter universe. The similarities are many.

If those are the "professors, I can't help but wonder how old are the students?

souljourney

I agree with a LOT of what Scion says. I'm sure a "Harry Potterish" deck will sell really well... and some of those tweens that buy it may develop a real love and talent for tarot... and then will seek other decks.

I may buy it only because I have friends with kids who like me to do readings for them and it will be an easy deck to explain. I am curious to see what the minors look like.

What other decks does Llewellyn have planned for 2009? Legacy and ???

In general it seems lately I've liked more of their decks that LS however.

poivre

I like the deck.
The Hanged Man is different and I like it! :)
I'd buy it for a fun deck to have depending on the amount &
what the minors look like.

ros
:)

Annabelle

**Splutter**

**Stops to wipe Diet Rite soda off keyboard**

Well. It's, erm . . . well - a bit of a ripoff, isn't it? And what's up with a Hanged Man who, well, isn't hanging?

It's cute. I'll give it that. But the art looks a little computer-generated to me, and I tend to avoid those decks.

Disa

I'm buying 3.

And besides, I thought Corrine said the other day that the "professor of..." titles aren't going to be on the cards. I had hoped they would. My neice will love these, and so will I.