Renaissance Festivals

pasara

Hello, Everyone. I was wondering if you could tell me how you get into reading at events such as these. Where do you hear about them so that you can apply? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

MeeWah

Try checking your local newspaper because sometimes such notices posted therein.

Where I am, also known to occur in a monthly newsletter sent by a local new age/organic store (which maintains readers on its premises & also readers working its psychic phone line).

Grizabella

Also, here we have some arts and entertainment free papers put out that will often have ads for activities such as that. I find those outside restaurants and in bookstores and places like that.

pasara

so you basically just have to keep your eyes peeled? there isn't just one place where they are listed for across the country or regionally?
thank you for the information.

starrystarrynight

How about if you google Renaissance Faire along with your state or area and follow links...? Everyone has a Website these days, and even if it's for a past fair, you might be able to get an email addy or phone number to follow up on.

pasara

thanks for the suggestion starry. yes, i can do that. the faire here is quite well established so for sure there will be a site. i thought there was maybe one centralized directory to find multiple faires. just hoping for a short cut. oh well. thank you everybody!

Chronata

There IS a directory for Ren faires in the country, but they usually only list the big established ones.

Many faires that are a decade old or older, will have already established rules for readers. For some it's a matter of coming up with the money to rent the space... and if they have the same fees as for a craft vendor, it wont be cheap. Somew even make you buy a booth...and then you have to rent it for the season as well!

The other thing about established faires, is that they usually only have room for so many readers, and if they already have their number, then you are on a waiting list for future openings.
Itr's good to go to your local faire, and talk to readers there. Some will be rude, because they don't like the competition...but most will be open and helpful. Sometimes they look for an extra reader to fill in thier booth, or be there as back-up.

Still...there are many many faires that crop up each year that are new, or are open for one or two weekends, and it's easier to get in on the ground floor, for a reasonable cost.

I agree...google Renaissance Faires...in your local area...and you will probably find a few small ones that are open in the Spring!

And the best advice I can give on this...is learn an extra divination skill that no one else around you is doing...do tarot PLUS oracles...or angel readings, or learn astrology, palmistry or tea reading. Lithomancy or sortilege is also an awesome draw.

Sheri

I read at the local Ren Faire here and wanted to mention that this one requires that all vendors, including the readers have a UBI number which is a business license number.

I thought about looking for directories to faires around the country, but since I only intend on reading at local ones, it didn't seem like it was worth it for me, but planning to travel around doing faires, it could be good source as already mentioned here by others.

My advice is to attend the faires you are interested in reading at and be sure it is up to your expectations before signing up to do it, I.e., how many visitors, what key attractions there are, are there readers and are they busy, where located, etc.

I for one, do not like to give information to readers who stop by my booth looking for info on getting into the faire (or other venues I am at) and it doesn't have to do with not wanting the competition...I don't want a reader that I don't know potentially using my name to get into a venue when I don't have any idea about what kind or quality of reader they are. Using my name may imply to the event coordinator (or whatever they are called) that I have recommended the person or am otherwise vouching for them or am a reference for them when I am not. It may sound harsh but it is not intended to be.

Ren faires are great venues to read at!

:love: Sheri

pasara

thank you for the information. it is all very helpful.

HudsonGray

THis site lists them by state, and for Wisconsin (we only have one big Ren Faire here) it has multiple smaller events, so it may be one of the better lists to check.
http://www.renfaire.com/Sites/state.html

There will be a main contact person on any of the sites, email them about possibilities of reading at their event. Be aware that some have very strict guidelines as to what kind of costume, hats and footwear you need to have to participate as a vendor/player. Some places take the clothing very seriously.