The Wildwood Tarot

Wendywu

I like that deck. Will Worthington seems to have got past the hobbit feet of the Druidcraft (although I love that deck anyway). I don't particularly care for key words, but after a while I won't see them. And maybe the deck will be big enough to trim :)

DaisyDragonfly

Love Will Worthington - he can do no wrong in my eyes.

I like these cards. I don't have the Greenwood and don't see any reason to compare the two as clones. Same concept + different artist = different product.

I'll definitely buy this one.

hopena

I love the look of the cards, and I can't afford a Greenwood, should one become available, so I will probably buy it when I can.

Carla

aurarcana said:
Keywords = pet peeve, so I'll only get this if the cards are big (DruidCraft size) so that I can trim them.

A shame really (Re: keywords). I do like the artwork though and it has been on my wish list. I'll just wait until it comes out and decide at that time.

Me too! I hate keywords and must trim them. I like these images, though, and would be interested in this deck, if as you say, it's big enough to trim. :) Someone earlier mentioned the 'hobbity' aspect of Druidcraft, which I quite like. It would be great to have a more dramatic version of Druidcraft, which these cards seem to be...I will buy it if it's big and vividly colored!

Le Fanu

HearthCricket said:
I think it looks lovely, but it isn't the Greenwood, at all. It looks completely different and has a very different approach. I am all for it and will add it to my collection and hope it is nice for readings, as well. But referring to it as a reworking of the Greenwood is a bit far fetched, IMO. I am just going to refer to it as the Wildwood and accept it on its own merits, not by comparing it to the original Greenwood in any way. :)
I totally agree. It's the Wildwood, not the Greenwood. I'm sure I'll buy it, though the art isn't particularly to my taste. I'm sure it'll look good in the flesh. I can imagine it having vibrant colours which aren't really coming across in the scans.

More and more I feel my deck-taste funneling. I can enjoy, appreciate, get excited about its release, but know my real tarot passions are elsewhere.

I like the Greenwood (not a die hard) but it has an abstract, hallucinatory, visionary quality which this deck doesn't have at all from the scans linked. It looks a bit literal.

sapienza

I'm one of those strange people who neither have, nor want, the Greenwood. The art in this one looks interesting although it seems a bit more cartoonish that the Druidcraft. I may one day get a copy, but it's not the kind of deck I'd be likely to read with. That Ten of Bows reminds me of the Eight of Cups in the Sharman-Caselli deck.

irisa

I like Will Worthington's art and I'm loving the look of this although I already know I will trim it :)

I think there is so much interest in the Greenwood now because of it's unobtainable status that comparisons are probably inevitable but I've never thought of Wildwood as being another Greenwood. I thought Mark Ryan was quite clear about it and I understood it was to be a deck in it's own right and a reworking of the Greenwood theme as opposed to the deck.

For me this is a must have!

irisa :)

ilweran

Le Fanu said:
I like the Greenwood (not a die hard) but it has an abstract, hallucinatory, visionary quality which this deck doesn't have at all from the scans linked. It looks a bit literal.

Agreed, but I'll be getting this anyway. Don't know if I'll use it, but I'll definitely get it.

lark

Looks like the Greenwood on steroids.
I agree it has a very grounded, earthy feel, where the Greenwood is a journey deck....the Greenwood is where you go when you drum.
So no comparison at all for me...I'll buy it because I'm curious to see how they interpreted Chesca's original pictures.
And also super curious about the book.

Le Fanu

irisa said:
but I've never thought of Wildwood as being another Greenwood. I thought Mark Ryan was quite clear about it
Bit of a coincidence to use the name then. I'm sure he did try to deny that it wasn't another Greenwood but he may just be being coy. Nothing would help sales quite like the word (not necessarily, explicitly "name"), Greenwood. Could someone link me the exact sentence when he talks about this deck in relation to the word Greenwood? I'm curious to know exactly what he said

But I feel this deck will eventually be taken on its own terms. The whole "Greenwood" connection will die down and disappear once it has been realeased and people start using it on its (and their) own terms.

Until lark said so, I didn't know that these were interpretations of Chesca's images.