The Wildwood Tarot

lark

Le Fanu said:
Bit of a coincidence to use the name then. I'm sure he did try to deny that it wasn't another Greenwood but he may just be being coy. Nothing would help sales quite like the word (not necessarily, explicitly "name"), Greenwood. Could someone link me the exact sentence when he talks about this deck in relation to the word Greenwood? I'm curious to know exactly what he said

But I feel this deck will eventually be taken on its own terms. The whole "Greenwood" connection will die down and disappear once it has been realeased and people start using it on its (and their) own terms.

Until lark said so, I didn't know that these were interpretations of Chesca's images.
I can see "hints" of her influence in the cards being shown...that's why I'm so curious to see how far or near each card comes to her original vision of the deck...should be fun, I'm looking forward to it...but I'm a die hard ...:D

hippiewitchie

oooooooooooh! This goes immediately to my wish list. I really like what I see, then again I love the Druidcraft. I don't have the Greenwood (*sigh*) but I don't see how they compare. The Chesica's art absolutely glows (at least in the scans) Will's art is more earthy.

This is beautiful, but not Greenwood. I think that those that buy it expecting it to be the Greenwood would be disappointed. But as the Wildwood I think it looks great.

BTW, am I mistaken or wasn't there another deck a while back called the Wildwood, or have they just been working on this one for a long time?

gregory

It's Ok - but it isn't the Greenwood and no-one should EVER have been allowed to suggest it might be.

I think that was dirty pool on the part of John Matthews. He should just have started over and not pretended they were alike. He just wants to get sales based on people's love of the Greenwood. It will backfire - people who love the Greenwood and expect any real similarity will be hugely disappointed. The art work is one of the things that makes the Greenwood so special.

Lela

HearthCricket said:
I think it looks lovely, but it isn't the Greenwood, at all. It looks completely different and has a very different approach. ... But referring to it as a reworking of the Greenwood is a bit far fetched, IMO. I am just going to refer to it as the Wildwood and accept it on its own merits, not by comparing it to the original Greenwood in any way. :)
Yep, you pretty much put into words what I was feeling. To call the Wildwood a "reconception" of the Greenwood is a major overstatement. I see them as two completely different decks, and agree with Gregory that the "art work is one of the things that makes the Greenwood so special."

AJ

I agree, it was pure marketing to tie this to the Greenwood, the deck neither has the feel nor look of the Greenwood.

Will Worthington doing the art is why I will buy it, but I'll be trimming the borders off if they are printed as shown on AT

AineFoley

Oh wow! I think this looks much better, the artist on the newer version is much more talented, in my opinion.

Nina*

AineFoley said:
Oh wow! I think this looks much better, the artist on the newer version is much more talented, in my opinion.
I totally agree. But then, I never understood the fuss about the Greenwood (except the fact that it all happened AFTER it went OOP... tsk!). :D

zan_chan

gregory said:
It's Ok - but it isn't the Greenwood and no-one should EVER have been allowed to suggest it might be.

I think that was dirty pool on the part of John Matthews. He should just have started over and not pretended they were alike. He just wants to get sales based on people's love of the Greenwood. It will backfire - people who love the Greenwood and expect any real similarity will be hugely disappointed. The art work is one of the things that makes the Greenwood so special.

I agree, but isn't part of the point that it uses the same differences in the Majors, using the same titles, and basing it on the wheel of the year and all that?

Anyway, never much cared for the Druidcraft, so will probably be glad to have the Greenwood.

AJ

zan_chan said:
I agree, but isn't part of the point that it uses the same differences in the Majors, using the same titles, and basing it on the wheel of the year and all that?

Thee and me could both be called Chevrolet, but no one would be fooled... :)

AineFoley

Nina* said:
I totally agree. But then, I never understood the fuss about the Greenwood (except the fact that it all happened AFTER it went OOP... tsk!). :D

Well as my Mother always used to say - "unobtainable is always more desirable!"
;)