Minchiate

Le Fanu

One version of the Minchiate is no longer showing the "Pre-order" note. However, it says "usually dispatched within 2 to 3 weeks." I'm not so sure...

Don't think I'll be ordering till I see "in stock!"

RiccardoLS

The LS new edition Minchiate have been released last week.
http://www.loscarabeo.com/lang-en/set-editions/122-minchiate.html
The deck is 97 cards, 57x102 mm

The deck will probably be available from the usual distribution very soon.

If you order from the website, be careful of the shipping price, expecially if you are in the USA. Anyway, if you purchase for more than 90€, shipping is free, anywhere in the world.

lasciel

I confess that I do rather like this deck, it has a very old-world feel. I feel like this deck belongs in a tavern in the 1200s :D I'll definitely consider ordering a copy, though it's not to my usual style.

Why are there so many cards, if I may ask?

Aerin

RiccardoLS said:
http://www.loscarabeo.com/lang-en/set-editions/122-minchiate.html
The deck is 97 cards, 57x102 mm

Brilliant! Thanks Ric. I am so pleased that LS have reprinted this deck.

ps @lasciel : an earlier review of this deck at http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/ancient-minchiate-etruria/review.shtml includes a couple of links to some historical information for example this one http://www.telp.com/tarot/minchiate.htm

RiccardoLS

from the text on the book:
(it relates to most deck of MInchiate, even if there are variations)

The composition of the Deck

Although the Trionfi –or Triumphs (Major Arcana) - of Tarot number 22, in the Minchiate they are increased to 41 as follows: 21 Triumphs analogous or somewhat similar to the traditional ones (the missing Arcanum is The High Priestess, while some have changed name and iconography), 12 Zodiac Signs, 4 Theological Virtues, and 4 Elements. If we add to these the Minor Arcana, from the Ace to the Ten, and the four court cards for each suit, we reach a sum of 97 cards. Each Major Arcanum of the Minchiate is characterised by the presence of a Roman numeral, with the exception of The Fool and the “Arie” or the five upper Triumphs: the Star, the Moon, the Sun, the World, and the Trumpets, or the Angel (listed in order of power or value in the game).
From an iconographic point of view, the most significant variations consist of the fact that, as has already been mentioned, The High Priestess is missing (having been replaced by Faith, inserted in the group of virtues), while The Empress, The Emperor, and The Hierophant have become respectively the Grand Duke, the Emperor of the West, and the Emperor of the East. Other variations in names and in the traditional sequence can be observed in the list below. It should also be noted how, in the Minor Arcana, the knights are represented by centaurs and monsters, while the Knaves of Chalices and Pentacles are depicted as female personages, called “fantine”.

The Triumphs of the Minchiate

– The Fool
I Juggler (The Magician)
II Grand Duke (The Empress)
III Emperor of the West (The Emperor)
IV Emperor of the East (The Hierophant)
V Lovers
VI Temperance
VII Strength
VIII Justice
IX The Wheel of Fortune
X The Chariot
XI The Hermit
XII The Hanged Man
XIII Death
XIV The Devil
XV House of God (The Tower)
XVI Hope
XVII Prudence
XVIII Faith
XIX Charity
XX Fire
XXI Water
XXII Earth
XXIII Air
XXIV Libra
XXV Virgo
XXVI Scorpio
XXVII Aries
XXVIII Capricorn
XXIX Sagittarius
XXX Cancer
XXXI Pisces
XXXII Aquarius
XXXIII Leo
XXXIV Taurus
XXXV Gemini
(36) The Star
(37) The Moon
(38) The Sun
(39) The World
(40) Trumpets (Angel)

nicky

RiccardoLS said:

Thank you for doing this - this is a gem

Le Fanu

Interesting the drawn up parallels (i.e Emperor of the East/Hierophant in A.E Waite's lingo).

The only gaping hole is no Papesse/High Priestess. Id rather have the Grand Duke as the Papesse and lose the Empress to be honest and have additional feminine qualities. Two females in one androgynous male.

jackdaw*

I'm looking forward to this one - yay for Ric and LS for reprinting it! Is it a book, Ric, or a LWB?

Lillie

I've got this now.

I've got a kit with a book. I don't know if it's sold differently.
But the book is multi lingual, so not a lot of space for the English bit. Some info on Minchiate decks in general, meanings for the cards and a very complicated spread that I have puzzled over.

Nice cards though. They look very old. They look older to me than Marseilles do, even though I know that isn't true.

jackdaw*

Oooh ... darn postal strike, I don't trust the mail yet *looks longingly at alida listing*