Doreen Virtue is making a tarot deck...

shadowdancer

well, the artist has a facebook page, and I have snuck a peak at the album he has shown.

I have to say - he is very, very talented and some wonderful work there. I was wondering if a few of the images were from the deck. (Maybe a handful were- I had tarot card titles come to mind)

If the art is consistant (and being from one artist it should be) it could be a good deck. However, it could also be one of those decks that is owned for the artwork alone, and not a regularly used deck if that makes sense??

With regards its appeal and likely audience, I guess it depends on how much of DV's influence is on it. Fans of her decks will lap it up. Although they may find it difficult to use if a) it does not have her usual fluffy sentences/paragraphs on the bottom or b) they are new to tarot. Who knows though - it may lead to some purchasers being interested in learning more about the tarot, which can't be a bad thing.

I did cringe at the description on the Amazon site, but that could be down to rather inane comments being spouted by someone in the marketing department.

WIll I buy it? I think nothing has changed for me there. Oh heck, I am conscious I have become more grouchy over the last year or so, aqnd have become horribly judgemental at times.Am working on it honest :D I blame it on the earthquakes we have had since September last year - 29 of them have been magnitude 5 and over, and I think I am only now starting to react in ways out of character.

RunningWild

On the other hand, "dark decks" in which creepiness is exaggerated to great effect are much in vogue, right?

So what's the diff?

I don't know about them being in vogue. I only have one deck that I consider dark but only because it seems depressed or melancholy, and even then it has a tender side to it.

I think the difference for me would be that Virtue's perception of a world guided by a hand of a higher diety who then permits his emissaries to intervene in human affairs any old time mankind summons them in order to better their lives is just too over the top. Tarot is beautiful in that it causes us to recognize not just the beauty in people but also their flaws and failings so that people work to better themselves in some way or to at least avoid those people and situations that would lead us to destruction.

The Watcher Tarot is about those angels that fell to experience what humankind already had (at least that's what I've gleaned from images and what I've seen here). It's an interesting concept, but I've taken the deck off my wishlist several times.

Virtue's work has an audience or she wouldn't have made all the decks and cds and books that she has. I, for one, won't be buying the deck because the philosophy doesn't impress me.

I'm going to have to order a couple of cases of bleach to share with others here.

Freddie

This is good to know. I've always wanted an angel tarot deck and I did not settle with the LS Angel Tarot. I've never bought any of her decks but this might be an exception.

If you re-read the little white book for 'Tarot of the Angels' maybe you will have a change of heart. It takes a bit of time to get chatty with this one.

Freddie

vee

I have yet to meet a dark deck which guaranteed everything would look awful DOOM DOOM WE ARE DOOMED and so on. That everything would be negative - as this one guarantees positivity. That they are ungentle, dangerous and untrustworthy.

THAT's the difference, for me.

That and the artwork.... :(

Yeah, I agree with this. I do like light and fluffy decks as well, but her stuff is so not genuine to me at all. If a deck is all OHHH DARKNESS WOE EVERYTHING IS EMPTY ALL IS PAIN I AM SO EDGYYYY melodrama, I'm not into it either. All I want from a deck is honesty!

Libra8ca

These comments here made me laugh ;)
The image on the guidebook doesn't even look that bad, might be the best image from all of her decks so far :laugh:
I'm now trying to picture a death angel and a devil angel :bugeyed:;
It wouldn't surprise me if this deck becomes popular with many readers; if nothing else Doreen Virtue knows how to market her products. I'm glad that I'm not into angels...

VGimlet

the Tower will be "The Sparkly Crystal Spire of Atlantis".

Heheheheheeheheh

While I don't loathe her stuff, it's also not my cup of tea. And that's okay. :p I know there are a few people who like the decks she designs.

For myself, I always breathe a sigh of relief when I see most of her stuff, because I know I won't be buying or wanting them now or later. :D

I do have her unicorn deck though. And the art is very fluffy. I am not ashamed. Heh.

peaceandkarma

I would be interesting to see what her Tarot Cards look like and what theme she follows.

GryffinSong

There are two reasons I'm not going to dis' this deck out of hand.

I have not been poisoned by the Doreen Virtue tree. I think, but am not sure, that I haven't actually seen a DV deck before.

Secondly, the artwork is completely and totally more important to me than whomever made up the framework for a deck. If the artwork is lovely, and if it speaks to me, DV can say anything she wants in her books, her LWBs, or on her lecture tours. I'd have to see more of the artist's work, but I kind of like what little bit I've seen. Maybe I'm in the mood for beauty right now, and since I read more intuitively than "by the book", I don't give a hoot who writes the book.

So, I'm keeping an open mind. The good news is that its really cheap on Amazon.

Cerulean

If tarot needs to be sanitized for our own protection? Do not read...

Apologies to those who are all for the light and wonder of DV's work.
My first thought of this was meant for people who thought tarot was so frightening...

I may not find all tarots to my taste...but scared and timid tarot fans?

Forgive this mumble...
guess I am one of the auntie mummies and fuddy duddie werewolves of the night.

Actually, I am curious!

Would this bridge the gap if one wanted to try tarot bit were extra timid...of its rep...that is, a curious thinh to me nowadays.

Heaven forbid we should use Tarot as a tool to explore the truths of the Universe and deepen our understanding of reality. No, no, no. Let's all go dance with the archangel indigo dolphins of Atlantis in pastel coloured lala land instead.

HighPriestess

Heaven forbid we should use Tarot as a tool to explore the truths of the Universe and deepen our understanding of reality. No, no, no. Let's all go dance with the archangel indigo dolphins of Atlantis in pastel coloured lala land instead.

I read a review for the Goddess Guidance Oracle that described DV in terms of a "soccer mom" wanting to "shield her children" from anything even remotely scary. I thought it was an apt description. I have the GGO and even Kali is sanitized, and this is KALI we're talking about, all skulls and severed heads and tongues sticking out and demon-slaying awesomeness!