Doreen Virtue's Angel Tarot

Milfoil

I'm betting Angels won't be Virtue's last Tarot deck. One there, she surely won't be able to go back to Oracles.

Very interesting that in the blurb on the website, Virtue (or the team of marketing experts sitting around her desk) left the word 'Dragons' off the blurb. Dragons are fire, and replace the Wands deck. Maybe her Dragons do get a little fiery?

Maybe her marketers decided that dragons might frighten off some buyers?

I would imagine that missing off Dragons from the marketing blub was deliberate because Christian belief considers dragons to be evil (St George killing the dragon etc) and it is a harp back to the anti-pagan stance of the church. She doesn't want to alienate her market or be condemned by the mainstream church so hence all the 'safe' stuff.

Agree with Little Hare, no need to apologise or feel bad for buying any deck, including this one, but it is good to be aware of just exactly what this deck is. To me it is like candy, sweet and nice and offers an instant feel good factor. Nothing wrong with that as long as you realise what it is, clean your teeth and eat other healthy things but a diet of all candy isn't any good to anyone in the long run.

EightWands

I love fluffy decks as well & own several for when I need Sweetness Goodness & Light in my life & readings. But this deck seems tooo over the top positive & fluffy & not very realistic. I'm disappointed with that aspect of it. :(

That being said... I'll most likely still get this deck. Ive been looking forward to its release for months. I'm sure I can think of uses & occasions for it as well as people to read for, using this deck.

I'm still a fan of her's, mostly for her "Healing With the Angels". I consider that deck a classic. It was her 1st, and has been a very helpful guide to me. There's also a few books and several other decks of her's that I love and still use.

If I get her tarot, it will be soon and I definitely will share my input. Stay tuned! :)

Eyebright

barf... gentle, safe ..blah blah...fairies and unicorns...blah blah...mermaids...and omg she has put herself in one of cards! :bugeyed:

It even annoys me how she pronounces "tarot"....and I had a giggle when she refused to say the word "devil"! :p

It's a shame as the artwork is quite nice, but I can't get past how she has "sanitized" tarot. Power to all those who buy it, if it is your cup of tea then that is great! I however hate sugar in my tea })

MysticalMoose

Yuk

Oh dear..... :bugeyed:

I stuck the video out to just under 4 minutes then couldn't take anymore... :eek:

No. No. No.

Definitely NOT for me, pretty, sugary... safe & gentle...

If it's your bag go for it and enjoy :) - but deary deary me...both it & she made me feel nauseous.

jema

Well, I already seen several tarotistas that just LOVE this one and I guess if they can read with it - fine. That said it is not for me. The thing that irked me the most was that she used the same angels over and over again.
Since I always thought unicorns were a bit scary they are perfect for swords though :p

AJ

there is a deck for everyone!
I wouldn't give the mary-el house room for a number of reasons, but there are members here who seem to worship it.

I'm sure there will be a study thread for this one too. And it would probably be darned interesting for tarotists of many viewpoints to discuss it card by card. If discussion were allowed. That seems to be in short supply in the history and lenormand threads.

Sulis

Moderator note

Hi Folks,

Could we please stick to discussing the deck and not the Doreen Virtue's lifestyle choices?
A couple of off topic posts have been removed.

Sulis - Tarot Decks co-moderator

gregory

I don't see why people should apologise for buying this deck. I'm not a fan of D.V or her decks but the fact that they sell so well means that people like them. If you like fluffy and positive go for it. I don't see why someone should have to justify what they buy.
I have it on preorder. And I am not apologising.

But I can see what I'll think of it. (I suspected that was what it would cost me - but I was trying to give it the benefit of the whatsits.)

Ooops.

The price of being a Collector...

Still - I do feel a curious sense of anticipation, just the same....

DaughterOfDanu

I'm looking forward to seeing the renamed majors (Not the Archangel additions to it but the titles themselves)

I kinda like renamed majors- they sometimes give me a different way of looking at a card, like Faith in the Legacy of the Divine.

I am curious though how certain cards themselves will be done. For example the 10 of Swords has always been a 'bad' card, it represents failure to me so I do want to see what spin she'll place to make it "Safe" and "Gentle"

I'm holding out hope she won't totally change the cards base meaning. I can see something like bringing up a silver lining to the 10 of Swords (Failure, but a lesson learned). But if I wanted something 100% positive I'd just use an oracle, not tarot.

Zezina

For those who have a problem with the sugary aspect of the images and words that comprise Angel Tarot deck, do please remember that astrological symbols are hidden in the images on these cards.

That's a very clever move, because while to the untrained eye they are just pretty astrological symbols, a properly trained Tarot reader can ferret out those symbols to include whatever their intuition tells them is going on behind the spread.

Sorry, Miss Divine (was her post removed?), but there is no argument that this is a proper Tarot deck. Angel Tarot contains 78 cards, divided into the two arcana, with 4 suits of 14 cards each. That is the Aeclectic Tarot definition of a Tarot deck, and Angel Tarot fits perfectly. Why must a Tarot deck must have unpleasant images or unpleasant words on it, just because Etteilla put them on his? Those seeking the dark side should be able to find such correspondences within those astrological symbols if they want them.

If it was OK for Aleister Crowley to rename Strength as Lust in Thoth Tarot, then why can't Doreen Virtue rename The Hanged Man as Awakening?

As for the disdain of sweet and sugary. Isn't that just what is dished out here to those who post their new spreads every couple of days to hear what they want to hear about their lives, even though it is unrealistic, plain wrong, or to get justification for their own actions? And aren't there always some kindly but mis-guided souls on the Forum who pop up and interpret the cards in their spreads to tell them exactly what they want to hear? What's the difference?

Another positive aspect of Angel Tarot is that it is the perfect entry level to the proper 78 card structure of the Tarot for children, and for many adults who would never buy a regular Tarot deck. And having seen that, may then move to other regular Tarot decks. From that point of view, Angel Tarot may be the best thing that has happened to Tarot generally for years. I'm sure Angel Tarot won't be my personal cup of tea, but I've ordered it for my grand-children to play with, and also to satisfy my own curiosity.

Yes, AJ, there is a deck for everyone.