Mermaid Tarot by Dame Darcy

agviz

I've used this deck quite a lot for readings, mainly one card draws, and I'm really connecting well with it so for me it reads very well! And I'm one of those people who sometimes buys gorgeous decks that just won't work in readings :( *coughShadowscapescough*

Yeah, I find it tough to know if I'll connect with a deck. The gorgeous decks don't always cut it. For example, I have an old TdM deck that is pretty far from what you'd call sexy. And yet it's stellar for reading. So how does one truly know? Possibly only by taking a chance, buying a deck that seems appealing, and working with it for a while.

I feel that that the Mermaid Tarot is easy to connect with because A) It's fairly RWS and B) It seems personal and honest to the artist Dame Darcy, who is a wonderfully wonky person.

Citrin

Yeah, I find it tough to know if I'll connect with a deck. The gorgeous decks don't always cut it. For example, I have an old TdM deck that is pretty far from what you'd call sexy. And yet it's stellar for reading. So how does one truly know? Possibly only by taking a chance, buying a deck that seems appealing, and working with it for a while.

I feel that that the Mermaid Tarot is easy to connect with because A) It's fairly RWS and B) It seems personal and honest to the artist Dame Darcy, who is a wonderfully wonky person.

Yes, I'm exactly like that! Both the Shadowscapes and Paulina were decks I fell sooo deeply in love with! Loved the artwork and just... Everything about them! But readings didn't make sense AT ALL. :(

Madrigal

It seems there are two versions of this deck, an earlier one and a later version. The earlier one appeals to me much more, smaller borders and an antiqued card stock. Which do you all have? And I wonder if there's a way to ensure which one you get. I'm waiting to hear back from the creator of it.

Astraea

It seems there are two versions of this deck, an earlier one and a later version. The earlier one appeals to me much more, smaller borders and an antiqued card stock. Which do you all have? And I wonder if there's a way to ensure which one you get. I'm waiting to hear back from the creator of it.
My understanding is that the first edition of the deck had largish white borders, and Darcy found a new printer for the latest (second) edition - so the sepia-toned decks with smaller borders are the most recent. That is the one that I have, purchased in December 2014. The cards have a tendency to warp, but they are so engaging and I love my deck.

Laura Borealis

I'm pretty sure the wide borders are the older one. On the Etsy listing, the pictures now show the narrower border, and she updated the description to say, "The borders on the cards are smaller and look like map parchment now that they are being produced by a new printer. Hope that answers any questions about borders..."

Mine are the narrow ones.

To answer your earlier question, I haven't read with it a lot yet, but when I have, it read well for me. She sticks pretty close to Rider-Waite. The courts are very expressive. Have you seen Benebell Wen's review?

agviz

To confirm, I purchased the deck December of '14 and received the narrow borders with sepia-tone. Those updated pictures on Dame Darcy's site are so-so quality and don't do the deck justice. Benebell's photos (when showing the narrow borders) are more accurate.

Madrigal

I'm pretty sure the wide borders are the older one. On the Etsy listing, the pictures now show the narrower border, and she updated the description to say, "The borders on the cards are smaller and look like map parchment now that they are being produced by a new printer. Hope that answers any questions about borders..."

Mine are the narrow ones.

To answer your earlier question, I haven't read with it a lot yet, but when I have, it read well for me. She sticks pretty close to Rider-Waite. The courts are very expressive. Have you seen Benebell Wen's review?

Thanks for clarifying and yep, I read Benebell's glowing review :D

Nar

I love Dame Darcy. I still have a few issues of her "Meat Cake" comic somewhere. I've been considering this deck simply because of the art work. It's on my wish list. Some decks I buy for the pictures. I haven't seen enough samples of it to know if I could read from it easily or not.

rubyalison

I just received my Mermaid deck today. It is the narrow border sepia tone style.

The listing said it came with a black velvet bag and I had seen a picture of such a bag with an anchor on it and was looking forward to that but instead it was just a flimsy plain nylon or polyester bag - whatever that material is that you get commonly.

I'm quite excited about the deck and really look forward to using it.

feynrir

I just received my Mermaid deck today. It is the narrow border sepia tone style.

The listing said it came with a black velvet bag and I had seen a picture of such a bag with an anchor on it and was looking forward to that but instead it was just a flimsy plain nylon or polyester bag - whatever that material is that you get commonly.

I'm quite excited about the deck and really look forward to using it.

Aw, the lesser bag is quite a shame! It's lovely to hear that you like it though. :love:

I've coveted the deck myself but oh, how I hesitate on these things sometimes!!

I have a question for everyone: What do you find to be its most unique, stand-out qualities that make it hold its own as a readable tarot deck? Is it the theme? The art? I'd like to know if it is unique and readable enough to warrant it a spot in my collection. I know it's roughly RWS based and with a substantial collection already, I'd love to know what you think makes it stand out! Thanks! :)