'Recycled' art in Dame Darcy deck

GlitterNova

So, I was checking out the Tarot of Mermaids on Amazon, and I looked at the customer images (you can see them here, just scroll down to the customer reviews and they're on the right hand side of the screen). I was very surprised to discover that many of the card images there looked VERY familiar--they're images I've seen in the Dame Darcy tarot! Just from those uploaded images I recognize multiple DD cards--compare the Moon in the ToM to the Moon in the DD deck, the 10 of Wands in both decks, Temperance in ToM is one of the cup cards in DD, and ToM's Fool appears to be DD's Empress. I don't have the Tarot Of Mermaids, but I have a suspicion that there are more cards that DD has 'recycled'.

I'm not going to lie, this has really put me off my DD deck which I once quite liked. I've seen other deck creators get called out for much less. I feel somewhat uncomfortable even posting this because I know so many people like this deck. Has anyone else noticed this before?

Tarotwolf

I couldn't find my deck so I went to YouTube to compare a couple cards. I just don't see it. Of course there are going to be some similarities because the RWS template is being used. The Moon card is somewhat similar, but anyone doing a mermaid deck is going to have the mermaid coming out of the pool of water. The style and composition is also very different between the two decks; and some of the cards are crazy different. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

GlitterNova

Yep...and if there's any doubt, look at the positioning of the oars. It's been traced. :(

Michellehihi

I have looked at all the comparisons you propose and I have to agree with you that there are strange similarities....however I just like so much my Dame Darcy that it does not change anything for me.

magicjack

I'm not a big fan of mermaids but the Dame Darcy is much more appealing. Even if she did get the idea from the LOS deck, she improved it.

Michellehihi

I'm not a big fan of mermaids but the Dame Darcy is much more appealing. Even if she did get the idea from the LOS deck, she improved it.

I agree with you that Dame Darcy's artwork is better, but what about copyright? Maybe LoS did not discover it yet?

GlitterNova

The issue is less for me that she got the idea from the other deck, but that she seems to have directly traced images in the LoS deck. I think they could take legal action against her if they wanted to. I'm certainly not saying that anyone should like this deck any less, I just wanted to point this out.

GlitterNova

One more...The Hermit:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3b/e0/55/3be05530fd29cebf5752a4c8d7c19a13.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/0e/07/11/0e0711784b86a9a61b0ec1a7630ebf3a.jpg

Again, like I said, I don't own the LoS deck and these are just images I've found online. ALSO, I want to emphasize that I'm not saying people shouldn't like the DD deck. I just want to point out art theft if I see it.

(That being said, I sort of want the LoS deck now. It's pretty! Anyone wanna trade?)