"The Star" ~~ Majors only deck by Cathy McClelland

MoonGypsy

weaver said:
Thanks, anam_chara, for bringing this beauty to our attention! Thanks also to MoonGypsy for providing all those great details about the deck and accompanying booklet. :)

I generally avoid Majors only Tarot decks but, in the case of the Star Tarot, I am more than delighted to make an exception! :love:

weaver
You're certainly welcome, weaver! It is such a pleasure. i am just soooo enthusiastic and inspired about and by Cathy's glorious art. i know i will be dreaming about the completed deck with joyful anticipation, imagining what it will be like...kind of 7 of Cups... LOL!
i am also grateful to anam_chara for providing us with this wonderful thread.

FaireMaiden

Best damn 'Death' card I've ever seen! and I mean EVER! (for me, worth the price of the deck alone)

Aye... I, too, was so taken with this deck that I ordered immediately... two of them! *lol*... And that's with the added effort of having to print out an order form, writing a check, mailing it off, and the inevitable waiting, waiting, waiting for snail-mail to do its work... Alas, Cathy shipped right away, so, not too much waiting after all, *vbs*

Ya know how you see so many decks that are wonderful, wonderful, wonderful and you put them on your wishlist? and then one comes along and, bam!, no wishlist, no waiting, just an INSTANT, RIGHT NOW, GOTTA-HAVE-IT-SO-WILL-FINAGLE-THE-BUDGET PURCHASE?

Well, for me, this was one of those decks... And it's true what has been stated here, the pictures online don't do it justice... The cards are so oversized that every little detail is easily seen... I'm a collector, so don't read with anything other than my 'Universal Waite' but, for those who do want to read with this deck, it would serve one well to round the corners...

Immediately upon receipt, I submitted this deck to 'Solandia's Deck Details' and she has posted them in the 'Cards List' now... You can see it listed under 'Star Tarot':

STAR TAROT DECK IMAGES
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/star/

STAR TAROT DECK DETAILS
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/star/details.shtml

STAR TAROT Cathy's Website
http://www.cathymcclelland.com/html/tarot.htm

Also, as stated previously, the cards are thin... I don't think they would do well with any kind of actual shuffling, rounded corners or no... Better, methinks, to mix them up by hand, fan them out, and pick that way...

Like others, I would have preferred these cards to have the thicker card-stock we see on standard decks but, knowing how the cost of printing and self-publication goes, it is easily understandable why it was produced the way it was...

Perhaps one day either Cathy or a bonafide tarot publisher will give this deck the place of honour it deserves and produce it with the standards we have all come to expect from a useable tarot deck... One can only hope, eh? *lol*

In the meantime, I wasn't one who was gonna hold their breath for this event, *lol*, so bought them poste-haste, *vbs*

MoonGypsy

FaireMaiden said:
Best damn 'Death' card I've ever seen! and I mean EVER! (for me, worth the price of the deck alone)

Aye... I, too, was so taken with this deck that I ordered immediately... two of them! *lol*... And that's with the added effort of having to print out an order form, writing a check, mailing it off, and the inevitable waiting, waiting, waiting for snail-mail to do its work... Alas, Cathy shipped right away, so, not too much waiting after all, *vbs*

Ya know how you see so many decks that are wonderful, wonderful, wonderful and you put them on your wishlist? and then one comes along and, bam!, no wishlist, no waiting, just an INSTANT, RIGHT NOW, GOTTA-HAVE-IT-SO-WILL-FINAGLE-THE-BUDGET PURCHASE?

Well, for me, this was one of those decks... And it's true what has been stated here, the pictures online don't do it justice... The cards are so oversized that every little detail is easily seen... I'm a collector, so don't read with anything other than my 'Universal Waite' but, for those who do want to read with this deck, it would serve one well to round the corners...

Immediately upon receipt, I submitted this deck to 'Solandia's Deck Details' and she has posted them in the 'Cards List' now... You can see it listed under 'Star Tarot':

DECK IMAGES
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/star/

DECK DETAILS
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/star/details.shtml

Also, as stated previously, the cards are thin... I don't think they would do well with any kind of actual shuffling, rounded corners or no... Better, methinks, to mix them up by hand, fan them out, and pick that way...

Like others, I would have preferred these cards to have the thicker card-stock we see on standard decks but, knowing how the cost of printing and self-publication goes, it is easily understandable why it was produced the way it was...

Perhaps one day either Cathy or a bonafide tarot publisher will give this deck the place of honour it deserves and produce it with the standards we have all come to expect from a useable tarot deck... One can only hope, eh? *lol*

In the meantime, I wasn't one who was gonna hold their breath for this event, *lol*, so bought them poste-haste, *vbs*

FaireMaiden! You go lassy! Wow! What a great post! i feel like going out and dancing in the rain with the booming thunder as my drum!!! Every word you said i totally resonate with and couldn't agree more! Thank-you for getting the Star Tarot listed!!! Duh...i hadn't even thought of that! Sheesh!
i got an email from Cathy today, and she mentioned that when she does her next printing she is going to have them done with rounded corners and heavier stock. i want to get my set laminated, but i am nervous. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is a set that i want to be able to use everyday without worry.

MysticalMoose

Stunning!!!!!

Ohhhhhh how beautiful!!! :) I have just spent half an hour looking at the cards on the website. I just have to have these!! I hope she will soon accept paypal! Whichever way I will have to order a set soon & I am getting all excited at the thought of a full 78 card deck!!! :*I think I would round the corners of the Majors deck :)

MM :love:

shadowdancer

well, I have just taken the plunge! A full deck should be quite something

Davina

MoonGypsy

shadowdancer said:
well, I have just taken the plunge! A full deck should be quite something

Davina

Good for you, Davina! i am sure you are going to love them. i keep hoping, though, that someone would come forth and please give some advise in regards to having them laminated. Also, remember, dear ones, that Cathy hasn't started on the minors yet, so who knows how long it will be before there is a full deck available. But, it certainly is something to look forward to in the future. But in the meantime, we are so fortunate to be able to get this gorgeous set of Majors. :<)

shadowdancer

Oh I have no qualms about laminating them. I have my own laminator and have used it on two decks of Kaos - worked just fine!

If anything it made them sharper coloured and worked a treat

shadowdancer

well, the deck arrived today and it is beautiful. Nicely sent with a covering letter from Cathy and the accompanying booklet.

I was going to laminate them, but to be honest I wouldn't want to risk the laminate going wrong..... they will be displayed along with the other Majors deck I have recently purchased. Two very different styles of artwork, but both worthy of a place on a wall.

I think I could work with it, but it may be on the basis of a card for the week being put in a frame on my reading table.

Thanks for creating them Cathy, and also the care and attention you give to the customer in delivering them. Good luck with any subsequent full 78 card deck

Davina

Myrrha

WOW!!! She is a truly talented artist. I am just knocked over by this imagery. The Hanged One, Hermit and Empress especially. Maybe I should learn to do majors only readings!

--Myrrha

MoonGypsy

Cathy's art is truly blessed! i am so happy to hear this wonderful woman's art so appreciated. She is as sweet as her art is beautiful. She joined the forum recently, and i so do wish she would post...hint, hint, Cathy!
Love and Blessings,
MoonGypsy