How to predict future events?

olivia1

I heard when using a horary chart to predict when an event will take place, you fill in the time and date of when you thought of the question. Well, when trying to predict an event (i.e a relocation or marriage), which planets should we focus on? Also, how do we come up with the dates for these events (i.e if we are supposed to look at Mars and Mars is in Leo how do we come up with a date for that- by using the traditional dates for Leo sun placement)? What are indicators that the event is not going to take place?

eta:

Someone suggested to me to look at Jupiter for predicting timing of events. So if Jupiter is in Leo, can anyone tell me how I can find the date for that? Does that mean the event won't happen until Jupiter is in Leo again? Also, does anyone know how we predict what year something will happen just by looking at a chart?

Venusian

Hi! I know that this wasn't what you asked, but just wanted to chime in (home bored on a Friday night lol).

I actually use transits and secondary progressions to try to determine when the energy is ripe for certain events. Sometimes I can actually foresee an event just by looking at upcoming transits, sometimes when I'm going through it all I can take a look at the Ephimeris and say "AH-HAH!!".

Even a Solar Return chart can give insight into the patterns of the year, but I personally have never used horary for predictions.

olivia1

Thank you, Starseer :) Your post is helpful

starseer said:
I actually use transits and secondary progressions to try to determine when the energy is ripe for certain events. Sometimes I can actually foresee an event just by looking at upcoming transits, sometimes when I'm going through it all I can take a look at the Ephimeris and say "AH-HAH!!".

And you'll be able to find the dates for these progressions on the chart? So charts can only tell you when an event is likely to happen but not necessarily when it will happen, right? I just wanted to make sure because I keep hearing people claim they can tell when an marriage, birth, or move will take place by simply looking at charts... they sound so sure. However, we all aren't going to relocate, have babies, or get married. So what are indicators that the event won't take place?

starseer said:
Even a Solar Return chart can give insight into the patterns of the year, but I personally have never used horary for predictions.

Interesting, I'll look into that :) Hopefully it will be easier than looking at horary charts....

Venusian

olivia1 said:
And you'll be able to find the dates for these progressions on the chart? So charts can only tell you when an event is likely to happen but not necessarily when it will happen, right? I just wanted to make sure because I keep hearing people claim they can tell when an marriage, birth, or move will take place by simply looking at charts... they sound so sure. However, we all aren't going to relocate, have babies, or get married. So what are indicators that the event won't take place?

Hi again! Ok, a separate Secondary Progression chart (of your natal chart) would actually have to be run, but to answer your question YES. For instance, there is a school of thought that teaches that the Moon progressing into your 7th house indicates a marriage, and so on. Many indicators such as the example I just gave can indicate milestones in life. And you are right, there are so many meanings to each house, how would one actually KNOW for sure how to call it?

Well, its a combination of things. First, you look at the native's natal chart and progressed chart side by side. You take things such as age into consideration (because a 12 year old who's Moon is progressing into the 7th isn't likely to get married, at least in the States lol). There are so many mathematical points to consider, for instance, the Sun/Moon midpoint being aspected in the natal, the 7th house ruler, planets in the 7th that are being aspected, and so on and so on. It's so complex because there is absolutely no one aspect or aspects to zone into...it truly does take experience and intuition. For me, intuition has given me flashes of information that I really could not have known, but like the images on Tarot, when you're zoning in on the glyphs on a chart sometimes information just starts coming to you and you start talking and you really have no idea what you are saying but the querent is like, "YES!!".

So to your question, how do we know when an event will NOT take place? Well, that's not easy to answer because who said it WOULD take place? I mean, you could look to the aspects that Saturn in making (being that Saturn limits and restricts) but again, it really does take the synthesis of the chart as a whole, not just one or two aspects.

I have an interesting story. I know this psychic guy, I mean he's really good! I was introduced to him by another psychic friend who was bragging to him about me knowing Astrology and whatever else she was saying about me. So this guy decides he wants to test me, so we're introduced and he's sizing me up (unbeknownst to me). Long story short, he tells me that his mother was no longer amongst the living, and he asked me to take a look at her chart. Come to find out what he REALLY wanted to know was if I could tell through Astrology how his mother died. After studying the chart for an evening I was able to tell him the next day not only how she died but who did it. I found the answer not in the birth chart but via transits on the day that she died, apparently (and sadly) her boyfriend murdered her. He was speechless...literally. Could someone have predicted this tragedy had she had an astrologer in her life? Yes I think so. I mean, most good astrologers would probably not tell someone that they're time is near. But then again, most astrologers are not looking for that when they read a chart.

Hopefully I'm making a little bit of sense here. I realize that I'm all over the place but I had so many points I was trying to get out. lol

-Sol

olivia1

you are awesome, starseer. Your post help me out immensely. now I know to:

1. use my Secondary Progression chart (when predicting evens)
2. look at progressions
3. focusing on a certain day can for tell events

I knew astrology was pretty cool but your story makes it even more fascinating...you just furthered my resolution to want to keep learning. :)

Minderwiz

starsseer has given a very good run down there, so follow the advice.

Transits and secondaries are the stuff of modern predictive Astrology. I'd mention another couple of techniques, which are complementary:-

Precession corrected solar returns, which Dave makes a lot of use of and you will find some good threads on.

Primary directions, which was the traditional way of narrowing down the search to a managable period. They gave a reasonable set of possible meanings, for an event which would occur in a time period of around two years (though with accurate birth dates they could be accurate to within a week or so). Transits were then used to locate the precise timing of the event.

Horaries do give predictions but you have to be very specific about the event - 'Will I get married in the next six months?' or similar sort of question. They don't give general patterns.

olivia1

Minderwiz said:
Transits and secondaries are the stuff of modern predictive Astrology. I'd mention another couple of techniques, which are complementary:-

Precession corrected solar returns, which Dave makes a lot of use of and you will find some good threads on.

Primary directions, which was the traditional way of narrowing down the search to a managable period. They gave a reasonable set of possible meanings, for an event which would occur in a time period of around two years (though with accurate birth dates they could be accurate to within a week or so). Transits were then used to locate the precise timing of the event.

Horaries do give predictions but you have to be very specific about the event - 'Will I get married in the next six months?' or similar sort of question. They don't give general patterns.

Thanks, that's very helpful to know!

starseer said:
Hi again! Ok, a separate Secondary Progression chart (of your natal chart) would actually have to be run....

Well, its a combination of things. First, you look at the native's natal chart and progressed chart side by side.

which progression method do you suggest that I use: the day-for-a-year method or solar arc directions? No, I'm not really familiar with these methods, I just learned them a few minutes ago. As soon as I'm done with Robert Burk's book (which is the size of a university textbook), I'm going to get one of two highly rated books on predictive astrology. It's for intermediates but my hope is that by the time I'm finished with this current book, I'll be able to understand intermediate level material. Of course, which one I get highly depends on your answer.

Venusian

olivia1 said:
Thanks, that's very helpful to know!

which progression method do you suggest that I use: the day-for-a-year method or solar arc directions? No, I'm not really familiar with these methods, I just learned them a few minutes ago. As soon as I'm done with Robert Burk's book (which is the size of a university textbook), I'm going to get one of two highly rated books on predictive astrology. It's for intermediates but my hope is that by the time I'm finished with this current book, I'll be able to understand intermediate level material. Of course, which one I get highly depends on your answer.

Hey there!! Ok, I would start with the day-for-a-year method, and then once you get a grasp of that I would move forward to the Solar Arc method. In time you will discern for yourself which method resonates for you. Some Astrologers swear by secondary progressions, some swear by Solar Arcs, some look at a combination of methods and cross check for confirmation. Through experience you will naturally make your own deductions.

So imagine this: Right now you are embarking on what I'll call Ancient Science University. LOL The specific science that you have chosen to focus on is Astrology, in which math, geometry, basic Astronomy, etc. comprise your core classes. Once you move forward to the next level you will begin to take your more advanced courses, learning specifically about various methods of delineation and charts. So take as many classes as you can while you have the interest and time permits it. Study progressions, solar arcs, Uranian, Vedic, learn different charts, Sidereal, Tropical, etc, etc. Just compare and contrast the different systems and methods and soak up as must information as possible over the next couple of years. This way, once you graduate you will be fully informed on what resonates with and works for you best.

And make sure to clear off a shelf on your bookcase! Because you will need the space to dedicate to all of the Astrology books that you will invest in over time!

Hope this helps!

-Sol

Minderwiz

Again, I'd echo starseer. Start with secondary progressions (day for a year). Once you are happy that you've got the idea, look at some other methods. You will find an awful lot of these, some are very esoteric, some have a very good pedigree but what really matters is whether you find that you resonate with a method and that it gives reasonable results. Much will depend on which apporach to Astrology you settle on, but that is some time off yet. :)

Enjoy your voyage of discovery

olivia1

thanks, Minderwiz and Sol! You both have been very encouraging and helpful :)